#41: Tom Wilkinson - quits NMFC (?) to go on The Amazing Race (?!) with Paul Roos' son (?!?!)

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Wow. We drafted a guy who chose a reality show over trying to pursue his AFL dreams. If that doesn't put the microscope over our recruiting team...

Harsh. The 41st bloke picked in the rookie draft who hadn't got anywhere near a game. A speculative pick at best the didn't pay off. Move along.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I don’t know why that is hilarious, but it is.
Would have been more hilarious if the headline was:
Roosy's son quits NEAFL for TV adventure with North rookie.

Stiff is Tom. Usually when a story about an AFL Player hits the media, they are referred to as "star". Tom gets the much less illustrious "rookie" tag.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow. We drafted a guy who chose a reality show over trying to pursue his AFL dreams. If that doesn't put the microscope over our recruiting team...
He's what, not even 20?

Being the last guy likely to get a game out of 45 guys I don't blame him for taking a chance like this, as much of a farce as it may look on the surface.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
He's what, not even 20?

Being the last guy likely to get a game out of 45 guys I don't blame him for taking a chance like this, as much of a farce as it may look on the surface.

He turned 23 in March. As ridiculous a career choice as it seems he's made, it's probably a better bet than his AFL dream.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems like he was going to be arseholed regardless but a man wanting to be on a reality TV show this much just shows how *in cooked we are as a civilisation. Dumb chicks with big **** doing it for some Instagram likes is one thing but sheeeeez. What would a bloke who worked down the meatworks before going to training in 1968 think about this?

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Seems like he was going to be arseholed regardless but a man wanting to be on a reality TV show this much just shows how fu**in cooked we are as a civilisation. Dumb chicks with big **** doing it for some Instagram likes is one thing but sheeeeez. What would a bloke who worked down the meatworks before going to training in 1968 think about this?
I haven’t watched it for years, but I think the Amazing Race is one of the better reality shows to do. You get to travel all over the world with a mate. Some sweet prizes along the way & a heap of cash if you win it.

If the club had told him he wasn’t going to be on the list next year, then why not take this opportunity.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
It’s funny here in this video after he was just picked up by us, saying he didn’t get drafted for two years because he was deemed immature & so he then went & travelled Europe for 7 months.

So this campaigner was more worthy of rookie spot then Mountford?

Yes it’s a rookie and yes he was probably already told of his future but * I hope he and Roosys son get eliminated first week

FYI I know footballers get told to have something on the side and keep yourself busy outside footy but this on a whole other level. He and Roos Jr would have auditioned for this show around May/June, full knowing the dates they had to be available for the show and if he were to be successful he wouldn’t be able to start preseason with us.
Is it me or is this whole thing just look off?

Also it’s great to know whilst he’s in rehab he’s plotting his next career move rather than actually getting back and helping out the team and making something out of the opportunity North Melbourne gifted him.

He’s made us look like amateurs

Back