#41: Tom Wilkinson - quits NMFC (?) to go on The Amazing Race (?!) with Paul Roos' son (?!?!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year saw a LOT of very poor goal kicking
Wood specifically got the yips and Turner we know appears to have had some childhood trauma kicking a goal and is recalcitrant to relive the experience

Brown too has his moments but he is not the problem

Wilko
Come on down

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/draftees-good-first-impressions

Tom Wilkinson
“Tom’s very driven.
“The thing that stood out in him from day one has been his work-rate and his running ability.
“He’s an enormous runner, and we saw that in their first week in the Yo-Yo and the time trial.
“Being a bit more of a mature body compared to the other guys, physically he’s ready and the role that we’re getting him to play really requires him to have those physical attributes to play.
“For him, it’s understanding his role, and being able to execute that through the JLT to give himself the best chance to be looked at early in the season.”

Had a brief chat with Tom at the Family Day yesterday and asked him where he see himself playing. He nominated the small forward role but acknowledged he had to get past a few. Understands that he will start the year in the VFL, but his eye is on breaking into the seniors by mid-year. I could absolutely see the "Tom's very driven" aspect. Reckon he might be a regular in a couple of seasons.

Had a brief chat with Tom at the Family Day yesterday and asked him where he see himself playing. He nominated the small forward role but acknowledged he had to get past a few. Understands that he will start the year in the VFL, but his eye is on breaking into the seniors by mid-year. I could absolutely see the "Tom's very driven" aspect. Reckon he might be a regular in a couple of seasons.
Mid year?

Should be quietly confident of a round 1 debut if he outperforms Turner in the jlt

I haven’t heard this guy mentioned much.

Is there any word about how he is tracking?
I'm hearing that his work rate and running ability have really stood out. Great performances in the yoyo and time trial.
Physically looks ready to play, the club are just keen to make sure he understands his role. If he can execute that during the JLT, he'll give himself a good chance of early- season selection.
According to my source, Tom himself is keen to hold down a spot close to goal. Understands there are a few in front of him, but reckons he could be in the ones by mid year.
Very driven young man apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t heard this guy mentioned much.

Is there any word about how he is tracking?

He was reasonably quiet in the intra club, did some flashy things, but his forward line had been gutted and Ben Brown only played half a match, his side got steamrolled in the second half. He took a hanger over JMAC, so that should give you an indication of his ability overhead.

The Geelong match was closed, so we are in the dark about him in that game.

I would assume he will get a fair chunk of the game to stake his claim against St Kilda.

He was reasonably quiet in the intra club, did some flashy things, but his forward line had been gutted and Ben Brown only played half a match, his side got steamrolled in the second half. He took a hanger over JMAC, so that should give you an indication of his ability overhead.

The Geelong match was closed, so we are in the dark about him in that game.

I would assume he will get a fair chunk of the game to stake his claim against St Kilda.
He had three shots but missed them all if I recall.

Hope he gets a start v Port, we have a need for small forward who can tackle and score on a consistent basis.

Yes, but if there are two key requirements of a small forward today, it’s applying huge forward pressure, and extremely accurate shot on goal when gets the opportunity.

Does he tick both boxes?

Small forwards will not get much of the ball in today’s footy. Even less so than before due to congested forward lines and their heavy focus on tackling. Must be able to convert most opportunities.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really hope he plays this week

With his elite tank and ability to hit scoreboard he is ready to slot in seemlesly now

Is that literally "hitting the scoreboard"?

He needs to work on that goal kicking action if he want to put the ball between the goal posts more often..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back