Delisted #41: Will Hams - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

My boy!

At one stage I checked his stats on the footy live app and they had him at 10 tackles, before adjusting it to 8. Would've impacted the contest with ''half tackles'' at least a half a dozen times yesterday. If he keeps that level of effort up week in, week out, he should play the remaining 6 games of the season, and get another season on the rookie list.
Yeah, at the ground yesterday they flashed his mug up and had him at 8 tackles. He then laid tackle in the next 2 phases of play and ended up with 8. I swear it was closer to 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-07-16/hams-finding-his-place

Essendon forward Will Hams says the continuity of playing each week is helping him find his place at AFL level.

After strong performances in the midfield in the VFL, Hams has featured in the Bombers last six games and was an influential presence in his new role across half forward in the side’s loss to Richmond.

The Gippsland product picked up 12 possessions, laid eight tackles and kicked a goal.

“It has been different moving into that role but I’m really enjoying it,” Hams said.

“I’ve been able to string a few together and the body is feeling really good so I’m really happy with it.”

A goal to Joe Daniher midway through the last term brought the Bombers to within one point before the Tigers steadied.

Hams said the side’s execution played a part in the final result.

“We missed a fair few uncontested marks, fumbling and our goal kicking as well was not quite good enough,” he said.

“It’s frustrating that we’ve put ourselves in a position to win two weeks in a row and haven’t been able to get over the line.

“But it has given us confidence to push these other teams and hopefully we can get a win around the corner.”

For the second week in a row the Bombers generated 28 scoring shots (compared to Richmond’s 22).

“I think our pressure was fantastic, we were hunting them all the time – they always felt like they were under pump and we were able to move the ball really well in patches and get it deep into our forwards,” Hams said.

“There were definitely some good areas in the game.”

My boy!

At one stage I checked his stats on the footy live app and they had him at 10 tackles, before adjusting it to 8. Would've impacted the contest with ''half tackles'' at least a half a dozen times yesterday. If he keeps that level of effort up week in, week out, he should play the remaining 6 games of the season, and get another season on the rookie list.

As great as it would be, whose position does he take in 2017? What role is he angling for in the future?

A 22 year old with a bakers dozen of games at senior level isn't exactly screaming "keep me". Yeah, he has had a few reasonable weeks but once the 12 11 return , guys like Laverde, Colyer, Zac Merrett are significant upgrades on Will.

Don't get me wrong, ripping kid but for list management purposed is it best we retain a guy more than unlikely to make it ?

As great as it would be, whose position does he take in 2017? What role is he angling for in the future?

A 22 year old with a bakers dozen of games at senior level isn't exactly screaming "keep me". Yeah, he has had a few reasonable weeks but once the 12 11 return , guys like Laverde, Colyer, Zac Merrett are significant upgrades on Will.

Don't get me wrong, ripping kid but for list management purposed is it best we retain a guy more than unlikely to make it ?
Agree with a lot of what you said. Hams has been great this year and surprised many but cant see where he fits in next year. Deserves another year and hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Agree with a lot of what you said. Hams has been great this year and surprised many but cant see where he fits in next year. Deserves another year and hopefully he can prove me wrong.

All clubs have been guilty of holding onto players for too long. Don't see specifically where Will Hams fits into our best 22 moving forward.

Thing is, he's actually hitting up at the footy to make space behind and he's using the ball at a more than acceptable clip. I was skeptical because it looked like it was a move with little notice and little thought (think he played a half in the VFL as more of a permanent forward in the weeks leading to his call up) but it's actually paid off.

The player you're referencing is obviously Kommer, but in a good side that was playing free flowing footy Kommer was nothing more than a headless chook.

Even at this early stage Hams has shown himself to be a wee bit more than that, we score more freely and move the ball better with him in the forward line
His time this year in the AFL has made me think that he's actually a reasonable ball-user, just that when he's in the vfl he's regularly in congestion in the middle and needs quick kicks out of packs. The role he is playing has him in more space and I've actually liked his efforts on the outside. If he can put weight on he could be as good or better than Miles.

Keeping a 22.5 year old possible AFL player is good list management?
As someone else pointed out elsewhere, keeping Hams (on a one-year contract) does also give us a little more flexibility if we want to hit the 2017 draft hard (as opposed to a mandatory two-year contract for a ND draftee). One minor thing working in his favour.

As someone else pointed out elsewhere, keeping Hams (on a one-year contract) does also give us a little more flexibility if we want to hit the 2017 draft hard (as opposed to a mandatory two-year contract for a ND draftee). One minor thing working in his favour.

He is a rookie. We can get a one year look at a kid this year. Would allow us the flexibility to keep/upgrade delist someone a year after seeing them develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a rookie. We can get a one year look at a kid this year. Would allow us the flexibility to keep/upgrade delist someone a year after seeing them develop.

There are a number of players that i think are higher priorities on the delistings front to be honest.

Agree with your sentiments but feel that we aren't going to keep a kid around for the sake of it.
Sure. A big part of it i reckon will be if the club thinks he can actually put the necessary weight on. He has been around for a while but from memory he's only got through one or two of the pre-seasons uninjured.

Agree with your sentiments but feel that we aren't going to keep a kid around for the sake of it.

The thing he has in his favour is that the only decent pre-season run he has had has been in his first year. Not easy to build your body and fitness in those circumstances.

He's shown that he is not out of place on a football field in the last few weeks. I agree that just not being out of place is not enough of a reason to keep him around.

That he can find the ball as a half forward leading target gives him the extra string to his bow to fit into the rotations to play as a midfielder (which is what he must become if he is going to have a career). If we keep him around it would be to see if he can build his body to a size that belongs in an AFL midfield. His ball handling, use and run are all good enough to justify him being kept around for a few years as depth.

It becomes a difficult decision if we get down to 1 spot and it's a choice between Holmes and Hams. Holmes already has the body and it's not a given that all players can build an AFL body. Holmes may only have played a few games but he could not have been more impressive.

The thing he has in his favour is that the only decent pre-season run he has had has been in his first year. Not easy to build your body and fitness in those circumstances.

He's shown that he is not out of place on a football field in the last few weeks. I agree that just not being out of place is not enough of a reason to keep him around.

That he can find the ball as a half forward leading target gives him the extra string to his bow to fit into the rotations to play as a midfielder (which is what he must become if he is going to have a career). If we keep him around it would be to see if he can build his body to a size that belongs in an AFL midfield. His ball handling, use and run are all good enough to justify him being kept around for a few years as depth.

It becomes a difficult decision if we get down to 1 spot and it's a choice between Holmes and Hams. Holmes already has the body and it's not a given that all players can build an AFL body. Holmes may only have played a few games but he could not have been more impressive.

He won't be upsurping Jayden Laverde or Kyle Langford next year. Not sure if there is any point in keeping him around.

(for those of you not following. Heppell comes back into the starting midfield, as does Myers etc. Pushes this years mids into other roles, Langford to the flank for example, to which said flanker is dropped. That happens to be Willber)

Dyson,Jetta,Slattery would argue we've kept guys on too long and not been ruthless enough
Depth players are just that. Depth players.

If we were to get an injury, Hams can be a useful replacement for that.

Young is not better

He won't be upsurping Jayden Laverde or Kyle Langford next year. Not sure if there is any point in keeping him around.

(for those of you not following. Heppell comes back into the starting midfield, as does Myers etc. Pushes this years mids into other roles, Langford to the flank for example, to which said flanker is dropped. That happens to be Willber)

We are in heated agreement that he is not going to force his way into the best 22, at least in the near future, because he would be competing with Watson, Myers, Heppell and Hocking as inside midfielders (and he is half the flanker and small forward that Laverde, Langford and Parish are).

Honestly, I doubt he will ever force his way into the best 22 but if he continues playing at his current level in the AFL he has probably done enough to buy him another year to try to build his body so that he is a guy we can call on as depth for 20 touches and 10 tackles as an inside midfielder.

We can effortlessly de-list as many as 7-9 players this year without including Hams so there is not exactly a pressing needs to de-list a player who is showing signs after a long battle with injury.

Last edited:

Holmes??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back