Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Both Worsfold and Dodoro were talking him up as a stopper. I've never really watched Saad close enough to have an opinion on his defensive work.

The fact that Baguley is still yet to agree to a deal indicates that he's going to be up against it. A similar thing happened to Stanton at the end of 2015 when there was a dispute about a contract and he ended up with 1 year.
Didn’t Bags have a trigger clause for another year?

Both Worsfold and Dodoro were talking him up as a stopper. I've never really watched Saad close enough to have an opinion on his defensive work.

The fact that Baguley is still yet to agree to a deal indicates that he's going to be up against it. A similar thing happened to Stanton at the end of 2015 when there was a dispute about a contract and he ended up with 1 year.
Baguley had a trigger clause for 2018.

Bags is fine for next year, has a trigger clause. Though he will definitely be up against it to get another year after that.

Paul_Barnard

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I get the rebound he provides, but can he actually do a job and lock down a small forward when required?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Saad is a strong tackler. not sure what he's like in the air defensively, but his pace and agility, combined with his tackling, will make him handy on most small forwards.
Problem may arise when he is up on the wing and the ball rebounds and his opponent is 50m behind him.
the slingshot off half-back tactic is great football to watch, but defensively can leave us exposed.

Jivin Jackel

Team Captain
Sep 19, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought McNeice was more Bags replacement going forward?

Hopefully Ridley can show some promise in the seniors this year, I can't see McNeice being the long term Bags replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if we go after a state league small to mid sized defender in the rookie draft.

I get the rebound he provides, but can he actually do a job and lock down a small forward when required?
Better suited to locking down on the secondary small forwards. The likes of C Cameron, Christenson, Butler types.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Eh? Saad is replacing Kelly and McGrath, he's more of a rebound defender but according to every quote out of the club so far he can 'play a lock down role too' if needed.

If Baguley plays as a rebound defender then this is the first I've heard of it.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Saad is a strong tackler. not sure what he's like in the air defensively, but his pace and agility, combined with his tackling, will make him handy on most small forwards.
Problem may arise when he is up on the wing and the ball rebounds and his opponent is 50m behind him.
the slingshot off half-back tactic is great football to watch, but defensively can leave us exposed.
I agree. If he's replacing Kelly there's a whole lot more to his repertoire than just rebounding, although that will be really exciting. Gleeson, McKenna and Saad are ready made to move the ball, but solid defending remains to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Eh? Saad is replacing Kelly and McGrath, he's more of a rebound defender but according to every quote out of the club so far he can 'play a lock down role too' if needed.

If Baguley plays as a rebound defender then this is the first I've heard of it.
Why must the two be considered mutually exclusive? You don't believe it is possible to play a lock down role and provide rebound?

Why must the two be considered mutually exclusive? You don't believe it is possible to play a lock down role and provide rebound?
Of course it is, but I’m responding to those saying he’s the Baguley replacement. Baguley is almost the opposite of Saad, as far as small defenders go.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course it is, but I’m responding to those saying he’s the Baguley replacement. Baguley is almost the opposite of Saad, as far as small defenders go.
If he can lock down on an opponent, then he can replace Baguley. If he can provide great rebound whilst doing so, as McGrath did on Betts this year, all the better. He does not need to be like Baguley, to play on the same opponents as Baguley.

If he can lock down on an opponent, then he can replace Baguley. If he can provide great rebound whilst doing so, as McGrath did on Betts this year, all the better. He does not need to be like Baguley, to play on the same opponents as Baguley.
He can’t replace Baguley if Baguley is in the team as well. More likely he just replaced Kelly, who is gone, or McGrath, who will play more midfield. Probably McNiece and Dea shuffle down the order a bit as well. Wouldn’t mind McNiece pushing Baguley out if he’s able, but Saad playing almost pure lockdown the way Baguley does is a complete waste.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He can’t replace Baguley if Baguley is in the team as well. More likely he just replaced Kelly, who is gone, or McGrath, who will play more midfield. Probably McNiece and Dea shuffle down the order a bit as well. Wouldn’t mind McNiece pushing Baguley out if he’s able, but Saad playing almost pure lockdown the way Baguley does is a complete waste.
Obviously if Saad were to replace Baguley, Baguley would not be in the team also. Did that really need to be specified?

Obviously if Saad were to replace Baguley, Baguley would not be in the team also. Did that really need to be specified?
Well then who is replacing Kelly?

Pretty much everything out of the club says otherwise, including Worsfold explicitly mentioning Kelly and McGrath in the interview when the trade went through. I can’t be stuffed arguing, if you think he will replace Baguley and take the best small forward every week, that’s your business.

Pretty much everything out of the club says otherwise, including Worsfold explicitly mentioning Kelly and McGrath in the interview when the trade went through. I can’t be stuffed arguing, if you think he will replace Baguley and take the best small forward every week, that’s your business.

Goddard

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

I don't have a fixed view either way if he replaces Baguley or not. Can see many permutations that would work, and can see that it is not unreasonable for those suggesting he could replace Baguley.

I personally would be looking at BJ, Francis, Ridley as players to replace Kelly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back