Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Cornes’ team of the week in AFL website and thought he probably deserved a spot for his shutdown job on the most dangerous small forward in the game. Cornes went for Laird, Lloyd, Bonner and Simpson who all had great games but surely, for the job Saad did he’d be well worthy.

I had him at my 8th best for us yet I’d have him in the team of the week. Shows the excellent, even spread of performances for us.

And Ambrose job on a red hot Jesse Hogan who kicked 2 goals for the game (1 late iirc).

Tis all about dat attacking flair for Kane

Went for a specky at the start of the 4th quarter last week. Mind boggling decision when we are 30 points down and needed to do everything right to mount a comeback.

Ended up on the ground after hitting his head on a teammate. Classic Essendon.

What are people’s thoughts about maybe getting this guy up the ground a bit?

I’d argue one thing we’re flush for is small defenders... surely his speed could be an asset on the wing, especially with Colyer out.

I mean if we’re playing Bags as a forward....
I like the idea, but he is our best 1 on 1 small defender so we really need him down back for now.

I’d argue one thing we’re flush for is small defenders... surely his speed could be an asset on the wing, especially with Colyer out.

I’d prefer McKenna on the wing, he’s also a good kick for goal and Saad is defending really well.

I don't think he's got the 360 degree awareness, I think he thrives on seeing everything unfold in front of him and trying to pick his way through it like Frogger as opposed to operating in a scrum.

Same goes for McKenna

Not sure if he's being forced to curtail his natural instincts a bit; his defensive play has been solid but it's like he's often looking to pass it off instead of having free license to run and bounce the way he did at GC.

Think you need to back guys like Saad and McKenna to take the game on knowing sometimes it won't work. McGrath is a more natural footballer who knows when to go so it's a bit less risk, but having McGrath, Saad or McKenna all offering a threat of a line-breaking run is going to make us a lot harder to play against.

Give them freedom to run instead of telling them to be safe all the time, and we might see those Saad runs that were so common last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sort of game tonight was what we’ve been after all year. Complete performance for a small running defender

Now we just need to get McGrath into form in the middle...

His toughness is underrated.

Gave good contests against guys that were bigger than him on multiple occasions tonight.

Proving you don't need to be Usain bolt to make a run-down tackle. Moderate pace plus maximum effort will get you there.

Must be loving being a hunter up forward and getting a few on top. Would beat the s**t out of getting torched in the goal square down the other end - no wonder he's putting in!

As a defender i can't help but think Woosha would be loving seeing him serve it up a bit as well. Whover made the call to switch him ultimately it would have been Wooshas to persist after an ordinary start and that's good man management.

Last edited:
I reckon his entire year has been a bit underrated. Has been rock solid all year defensively. Now that we are starting to play better as a team he is only getting better offensively as well and bringing his trademark run and carry. I would rate his kicking as pretty good too particularly as he is often kicking whilst running at near top speed which a lot of players struggle to do.

Saad and McKenna is a long term combination that will only grow in potency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back