Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like being dumped by a hot chick that you're really into, at first you're sad but then as time passes the sadness turns towards hate.
Stupid Saad wasn't even that hot anyway

He gets 'several' hundreds of thousand for like 5 years or so, and loses half of it to tax.

On 600k per year, you lose 250k per year to the tax office.

Good money, and you should be retiring from the game in your early 30's with your house paid up, and maybe an investment property as well if you're frugal (and Adam isnt exactly the 'piss my money away on coke and hookers' type of dude).
Tax doesn’t work like that for athletes… firstly they can apparently divert up to 30% of their wages to a trust fund or company so it’s not under the personal tax brackets. Company tax is a lot lower. Secondly they would obviously be maximising their deductions, and putting it in super or the AFLPA retirement fund or whatever.

The rest is subject to income averaging via the ATO, so their salary is averaged over 5 years and that average is used to calculate tax payable. I would expect that to be part of the reason players agree to skewed contracts with large amounts of money being paid at the start or end of the contract so that it is averaged maximally over years when they earned less.

Then once they’re done, they get a lump sum from the retirement fund and an annual payment for up to 15 years, starting 5 years after they retire (presumably to account for the salary averaging noted above).

There’s certainly no reason to think they can’t have paid off several houses if they’re at the top bracket of the league for a period of time, and I’m sure Saad’s family is comfortable enough. But he’s not necessarily giving half of it to tax XD

(Also there’s tithing and stuff to take into account which is also deductible I’d think, but we don’t know if he does that or how much he pays).

My question to those trolling him is:

How do you even know he was upset because of Carlton's form? How many times has he played in a bad loss? How many times has he cried on the bench? You don't know what he's going through. Did you guys never reach a breaking point where something small was the last straw? I can't believe I even need to say this. Saad has never shown frustration or lost his cool in a game. The fact that he was that distraught tells me something is going on.

People wonder why a lot of men have trouble showing emotion and talking about problems. It's because it's mostly trivialised into something like "he plays for Carlton our rival lol what a cry baby."

He has idiot Essendon supporters abusing him on social media right now for something so dumb.
Yep, this. It sounds like he was injured, but even if it’s not injury, laughing at a guy for crying and trivialising it during a ******* pandemic where most of us feel like crying is just reinforcing toxic s**t that none of us need right now.

Carlton is our rival, sure. I love to see them thrashed by Port, and miss finals, and basically in turmoil off-field as well. Feel sorry for their coach, he’s been hung out to dry by the administration (the latest in a long line), but still. Hilarious in that they keep repeating the same stupid mistakes and then blaming the new guy.

Adam Saad though - the way he left left a bad taste in the mouths of Essendon fans (if not the players, so what? We’re not players). But as much as I don’t like the way he left, he did what he was paid to do while he was here to the best of his ability. I don’t see that as a reason to compromise our own values and start wishing injury or ill-health on the guy. A crappy career at Carlton, sure. But not personal s**t.

And absolutely trashing him for crying in public like there’s something shameful about that is pretty inappropriate. Assuming it’s because they lost badly that he’s bawling? You reckon he nearly collapsed on field and then gingerly walked to the bench and bawled because Carlton were losing? On what planet does that make any sense?

He’s shown himself to be one of the most callously professional players who just does it as a job, will play for whichever club provides the most money and comfort for his family above any other considerations, with football no higher than third in his priorities, and suddenly we assume that he cares enough to cry about it? About Carlton? His third club?

It could be mental health and the straw that broke the camel’s back. More likely he’s upset about Docherty’s recurrent cancer or some other personal s**t than losing a dead rubber at the arse end of the year.

Tax doesn’t work like that for athletes… firstly they can apparently divert up to 30% of their wages to a trust fund or company so it’s not under the personal tax brackets. Company tax is a lot lower. Secondly they would obviously be maximising their deductions, and putting it in super or the AFLPA retirement fund or whatever.

The rest is subject to income averaging via the ATO, so their salary is averaged over 5 years and that average is used to calculate tax payable. I would expect that to be part of the reason players agree to skewed contracts with large amounts of money being paid at the start or end of the contract so that it is averaged maximally over years when they earned less.

Then once they’re done, they get a lump sum from the retirement fund and an annual payment for up to 15 years, starting 5 years after they retire (presumably to account for the salary averaging noted above).

There’s certainly no reason to think they can’t have paid off several houses if they’re at the top bracket of the league for a period of time, and I’m sure Saad’s family is comfortable enough. But he’s not necessarily giving half of it to tax XD

(Also there’s tithing and stuff to take into account which is also deductible I’d think, but we don’t know if he does that or how much he pays).
I was getting ready to simply say if you're clever with your money you can get a lot of that tax back.

I suspect he's been racially vilified on the field. Has had an otherwise excellent individual season.
There’s no evidence at the moment to come up this suspicion and it’s purely been used at this point as an excuse for losing it on the field. All we know is that his team was getting smashed, he got hit after disposing of the ball and he retaliated. Then went to the bench under emotional duress.

Yep, this. It sounds like he was injured, but even if it’s not injury, laughing at a guy for crying and trivialising it during a ******* pandemic where most of us feel like crying is just reinforcing toxic sh*t that none of us need right now.

Carlton is our rival, sure. I love to see them thrashed by Port, and miss finals, and basically in turmoil off-field as well. Feel sorry for their coach, he’s been hung out to dry by the administration (the latest in a long line), but still. Hilarious in that they keep repeating the same stupid mistakes and then blaming the new guy.

Adam Saad though - the way he left left a bad taste in the mouths of Essendon fans (if not the players, so what? We’re not players). But as much as I don’t like the way he left, he did what he was paid to do while he was here to the best of his ability. I don’t see that as a reason to compromise our own values and start wishing injury or ill-health on the guy. A crappy career at Carlton, sure. But not personal sh*t.

And absolutely trashing him for crying in public like there’s something shameful about that is pretty inappropriate. Assuming it’s because they lost badly that he’s bawling? You reckon he nearly collapsed on field and then gingerly walked to the bench and bawled because Carlton were losing? On what planet does that make any sense?

He’s shown himself to be one of the most callously professional players who just does it as a job, will play for whichever club provides the most money and comfort for his family above any other considerations, with football no higher than third in his priorities, and suddenly we assume that he cares enough to cry about it? About Carlton? His third club?

It could be mental health and the straw that broke the camel’s back. More likely he’s upset about Docherty’s recurrent cancer or some other personal sh*t than losing a dead rubber at the arse end of the year.

Injured? He ran back to have a go at Butters and ran off the ground.

Saad took exception to a late hit from Port youngster Zak Butters after he had kicked a ball out of the Blues' defensive 50 and charged at Butters, knocking him to the turf, resulting in a free kick and a goal to Port Adelaide.

Injured? He ran back to have a go at Butters and ran off the ground.

Saad took exception to a late hit from Port youngster Zak Butters after he had kicked a ball out of the Blues' defensive 50 and charged at Butters, knocking him to the turf, resulting in a free kick and a goal to Port Adelaide.
Running defender Adam Saad was on the bench “distraught” after collapsing in the last 80 seconds, then briefly playing on before gingerly coming of the ground and attending to his throat.

E1839B61-30DC-4CEB-8DE6-0F44C45F9FB3.png F81B55E3-232F-4C85-8029-43576C145A36.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back