Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wantaway Essendon defender Adam Saad is so determined to leave the Bombers he’s prepared to nominate for the draft if his old club play hardball on a trade.

It can be revealed Saad is prepared to follow the footsteps of Jack Martin 12 months ago if a trade between Essendon and Carlton can’t be agreed.

It’s understood the Blues are prepared to offer pick 7 to bring Saad to Princes Park, but the Bombers may well seek more in the wake of Dons list boss Adrian Dodoro’s demands for “compelling compensation”.

Dodo would be compelled to take 7, surely

compelled less a lynch mob turn up and burn his jackets.

if we dick around on 7, i'm done with giving this club money until he's gone.

There are so many clubs that have amicable spilts with players that want to leave. The Saad request is very straight forward. He wants to leave. Alright do the deal with Carlton and end it there.
The constant drama, gossip, bickering etc is getting tiresome.

It was never mentioned until a player wants to leave our club. Then suddenly all these journos have access to all the conversations that happened at the club.
We have the worst communication team and the worst club culture in the competition. No wonder our environment is so toxic.

I won't argue about us having a weak comms teams.

But it also depends on when and why they're leaving. Saad came to the club by choice three years ago, he's in his prime, and there's no go-home factor or anything. It's a very different scenario to most player moves and on the surface, it's a very bizarre move. There will be a lot of media digging around to find the smoking gun behind this. You have to appreciate that some situations are different.

Look at Daniher - he's been going for 12 months but the media are somewhat sated by the "he wants to get out of Melbourne to a quiet city" line.

Essendon Posters: We'll take pick 7 thanks

Carlton Posters: No, he's not worth that.

Essendon Posters: We'll take pick 7 thanks

Carlton Posters: No, he's not worth that.

Carlton Football Club: We'll considering pick 7 as part of netogiations.

Carlton Posters: Yeah, we'll expect something back, we always knew it was going to be apart of the trade
i've unwatched that thread

i hate when these deals get announced so early. the DFA board turns into a bigger ****show than our club is right now.

Yep, it smacks of trying to alter the optics of what is clearly a club that's in turmoil.

And if nobody said anything, it'd be a free for all on how s**t Essendon is and plenty would bag the club for being weak and not defending itself publicly.

You can be damned either way here.

Saad is gone, he's already committed to another club so there's no need to polish his rep to shop him around. The club is within its rights to speak its truth - I've got absolutely no doubt that a big part of him leaving is the role he's being asked to play.

Saad is gone, he's already committed to another club so there's no need to polish his rep to shop him around. The club is within its rights to speak its truth - I've got absolutely no doubt that a big part of him leaving is the role he's being asked to play.

Also whether he simply wasn't up for a few years of rebuild / regenerating the list before we're realistically likely to challenge, and preferred to go somewhere he could play the role he wanted to play, with a team he believed was likely to be challenging over the next few years.

Carlton seemingly have a list on the upswing, we've got one that's likely to tread water for the next couple of years.

I think the club wanted to keep him, as he's a high quality player and a professional in his preparation. That doesn't mean he necessarily wanted to play the role we wanted him to play, which seems to be the only commentary offered regarding Saad wanting to leave, along with a fracture in the playing group.

I won't argue about us having a weak comms teams.

But it also depends on when and why they're leaving. Saad came to the club by choice three years ago, he's in his prime, and there's no go-home factor or anything. It's a very different scenario to most player moves and on the surface, it's a very bizarre move. There will be a lot of media digging around to find the smoking gun behind this. You have to appreciate that some situations are different.

Look at Daniher - he's been going for 12 months but the media are somewhat sated by the "he wants to get out of Melbourne to a quiet city" line.
If he says "I prefer to be at Carlton because of my role + direction of the club", then that should be enough information.

The whole "oh he is not a team player, doesn't take feedback well, cracked it at the club when he was told to play on Cameron, interested in individual accolades" stuff is nothing but petty and immature especially considering that was never a topic of discussion until he decided to leave the club. We then come out with general statements that indicate we want to move forward with players that listen to Rutten. Are we really doing that? Pretty sure a lot of those same players are staying at Essendon. It's definitely a move to save face. Can't fool us.

They also know how toxic Essendon supporters are. We've seen it so many times this year. What is the point of condemning the behaviour towards Grimes and Ward this year when the club fuels this s**t? The club is an entity. Players are individuals. Deflecting blame from a faceless entity to an individual person to save face is ridiculous, especially when this player actually played well.

What's the point of making Saad, arguably our most consistent player, the scapegoat? Sounds like anyone who leaves us will be "the bad apples" and the others who are staying are "the good ones".

If he says "I prefer to be at Carlton because of my role + direction of the club", then that should be enough information.

The whole "oh he is not a team player, doesn't take feedback well, cracked it at the club when he was told to play on Cameron, interested in individual accolades" stuff is nothing but petty and immature especially considering that was never a topic of discussion until he decided to leave the club. We then come out with general statements that indicate we want to move forward with players that listen to Rutten. Are we really doing that? Pretty sure a lot of those same players are staying at Essendon. It's definitely a move to save face. Can't fool us.

They also know how toxic Essendon supporters are. We've seen it so many times this year. What is the point of condemning the behaviour towards Grimes and Ward this year when the club fuels this sh*t? The club is an entity. Players are individuals. Deflecting blame from a faceless entity to an individual person to save face is ridiculous, especially when this player actually played well.

What's the point of making Saad, arguably our most consistent player, the scapegoat? Sounds like anyone who leaves us will be "the bad apples" and the others who are staying are "the good ones".

As I said, I think we just have to respect the situation a little, it’s unique, it’s not a player leaving for any of the “normal” reasons.

The relative media coverage of AFL footy is higher than any other industry in the country - sporting or otherwise - and when they get a sniff of a story like this it’s absolutely hell for leather... media would be pounding absolutely anybody who does or has ever had anything to do with Essendon. I know it probably sounds like there’s just backgrounding of journalists going on by the club, but I wouldn’t be so quick to label it that in this instance. Everybody at the club has mates and colleagues they talk to in a totally innocent fashion and then later down the track things can easily get out when there’s a story brewing.

It happens elsewhere. When Griffen up and left as captain of the Dogs there was stuff flying every which way in the media. It’s not just Essendon.

They also know how toxic Essendon supporters are. We've seen it so many times this year. What is the point of condemning the behaviour towards Grimes and Ward this year when the club fuels this sh*t? The club is an entity. Players are individuals. Deflecting blame from a faceless entity to an individual person to save face is ridiculous, especially when this player actually played well.

Well said....the club has come out looking pretty poorly for their statement on the matter even if true it should have been kept in house you would think.

Well said....the club has come out looking pretty poorly for their statement on the matter even if true it should have been kept in house you would think.
yeah
he was leaving. we kinda knew it was coming.
Same as Daniher and when Fantasia announces.

We handled McKenna leaving well...Same as Daniher
Not sure why we clipped Saad on the way out..

Ordinarily yes, ofcourse it's an in house issue , however I feel like the club right now is at a critical point, new coach , new direction, new game style, it's end of an era type narrative that needs selling.

Clearly the fanbase is fickle, nobody bought what was sold this year. The club probably (and maybe rightly) needs to sell to its fanbase that yes we had problems and yes we are dealing with it to move forward as a different club.

If "ruffling feathers" in pursuit of positive change happens to align with some players leaving, so be it. It reeks of you are with us or against us but that's the binary world in which we now live.

If the club wants to survive it needs members and their money, if it wants to keep members it needs to sell the dream. It can't keep selling the tired old dream they tried the past 20 years cause it never happened and we are jack of it

The new dream seems to be , we are rebooting the culture and out go those who aren't aligned.

Our fans are rabbid enough to eat it up and snarl at the bad old traitors so the club feeds a few nuggets..

At the end of the day why do you care that a Carlton player or a Brisbane player might be upset? They gone. Next

The game is brutal, the Industry is brutal, that's how they have made it. Sentiment is fleeting and nearly superfluous

So the report here is that against Brisbane, Saad was told he was playing on Cameron and started bitching about it in front of the group??

For real? I hadn’t heard that.

If so, see ya later

Saddest day? Seems like a picnic compared to drugs saga

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ordinarily yes, ofcourse it's an in house issue , however I feel like the club right now is at a critical point, new coach , new direction, new game style, it's end of an era type narrative that needs selling.

Clearly the fanbase is fickle, nobody bought what was sold this year. The club probably (and maybe rightly) needs to sell to its fanbase that yes we had problems and yes we are dealing with it to move forward as a different club.

If "ruffling feathers" in pursuit of positive change happens to align with some players leaving, so be it. It reeks of you are with us or against us but that's the binary world in which we now live.

If the club wants to survive it needs members and their money, if it wants to keep members it needs to sell the dream. It can't keep selling the tired old dream they tried the past 20 years cause it never happened and we are jack of it

The new dream seems to be , we are rebooting the culture and out go those who aren't aligned.

Our fans are rabbid enough to eat it up and snarl at the bad old traitors so the club feeds a few nuggets..

At the end of the day why do you care that a Carlton player or a Brisbane player might be upset? They gone. Next

The game is brutal, the Industry is brutal, that's how they have made it. Sentiment is fleeting and nearly superfluous
If that's the case someone from the club need to come out and speak to us.... I want to see someone from the club come out and talk about the issues being bandied around....where are they ?... hello anyone home

If that's the case someone from the club need to come out and speak to us.... I want to see someone from the club come out and talk about the issues being bandied around....where are they ?... hello anyone home
Did you miss the President's video speech last week? That's about as much dirty laundry as you're likely to get on the front page of the club website.

Did you miss the President's video speech last week? That's about as much dirty laundry as you're likely to get on the front page of the club website.
Yes I did watch that fluffy piece.... he did say all the right things didn't he..... but as they say "a week is a long time in football"
I think the club has folded since then ;)

Yes I did watch that fluffy piece.... he did say all the right things didn't he..... but as they say "a week is a long time in football"
I think the club has folded since then ;)
You get out of it what you want to get out of it imo. We dissected it at length here and found a few more worthy and interesting things than just fluff.

Need a cool head to provide the public face.

"It's about getting closer to the way we want to play. Internally we are very confident in the way we want to play."

It's actually hilarious reading through carlton fans comments on saads value, surprised the blues didnt try and walk judd to the PSD back in the day. It seems like the way to go. Apparently he's not worth a 1st rounder because he doesnt have much time left in the game hahah

You get out of it what you want to get out of it imo. We dissected it at length here and found a few more worthy and interesting things than just fluff.
I must just be harder to please then because I didn't go to bed that night all warm and fuzzy ....What I did take from it was that when your new president starts calling the coaches by their nicknames, "Whoosha and Truck" he may be a bit too close to them to make objective views ?.

The club website irks me no end. Always way behind with any news and always just fills us with fluff pieces. No hard hitting gems with a clear statement on our game plan, how we want to play etc. At one stage they even took away the injury list.

If that was the only website where you got info on the club it would be akin to being in North Korea with the propaganda feed.

The club website irks me no end. Always way behind with any news and always just fills us with fluff pieces. No hard hitting gems with a clear statement on our game plan, how we want to play etc. At one stage they even took away the injury list.

If that was the only website where you got info on the club it would be akin to being in North Korea with the propaganda feed.

I think you need to be more realistic about what you're expecting from the club.

Not sure any sporting organisation in the world puts out hard hitting gems about themselves, it's always member pleasing fluff.

The closest you'll get was those dissecting the play type videos that we used to do.

We also don't manage our website backend, it's done on the same platform the AFL use. So if the injury list vanished it's more likely because the platform they were using was changed. The injury list updates this year in general from the AFL website have been all over the shop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back