Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine you're about to become a father and you look across the locker room and the only other player who is a father is a gambling degenerate, who has cheated on his partner, has kids with multiple women, and sleeps with high school girls.

Give him the keys to the club.

If he wants more money and more years, give it to him. People can complain about that adding to the precedence of players holding clubs over a barrel but in this case, good. You play your heart out like him even when we are in the shits and you put in great performances - you get the reward for it.

The only thing that makes me nervous about 5y for him is his speed is such a big part of what makes his game (both directions) and he’s one bad injury or an early degeneration away from being an albatross around our necks. If it’s what we need to do to keep one of the most hardworking and committed guys at the club though, you probably just do it.

Anything Sheahan says should be taken with a massive grain of salt, but he’s correct every once in a while

I highly doubt money is the reason. I think it is more to do with the role we're getting him to play, which very much stifles his biggest asset (breaking lines through run and carry).

This is the progression of the amount of running bounces he has taken throughout his career.

2015 - 74 (average 4.6)
2016 - 55 (average 5.5)
2017 - 93 (average 4.2)
2018 - 95 (average 4.3)
2019 - 51 (average 2.3)
2020 - 12 (average 0.7)

Very clearly taking away his run. I think the rumours of him worrying about our direction and where he fits in the side checks out when you look at the stats.

The only thing that makes me nervous about 5y for him is his speed is such a big part of what makes his game (both directions) and he’s one bad injury or an early degeneration away from being an albatross around our necks. If it’s what we need to do to keep one of the most hardworking and committed guys at the club though, you probably just do it.
5 year deals are massive risks, but the fact he is one of the very few durable players we've had in recent times I'd be willing to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine you're about to become a father and you look across the locker room and the only other player who is a father is a gambling degenerate, who has cheated on his partner, has kids with multiple women, and sleeps with high school girls.

Give him the keys to the club.

Strikes me as the sort of bloke whose going to ask family members for advice not the blokes at the footy club to be fair

I am happy to offer a 5 year deal in the right circumstances.

Those being it is a relatively front loaded contract with the 5th year (being aged 31) being on more moderate/lesser coin

Or Carlton give up either Mackay or pick 7.... won’t happen either way.

how can Blues afford this with Cripps and Walsh soon to come out of contract? Especially after signing Martin and apparently Williams on big dogs.

He is also a great one on one defender, picks defenders pockets with his hand speed, not just his foot speed.

TBH, if he stays, I would make him captain.

He is one of the few in our side that has genuine on field leadership.

IMO, I don't see much on field leadership from Heppell at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back