Traded #42: Adam Saad - Traded to Carlton for pick 8 (with some junk picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I can see Carlton winning a final in 2021. Teague looks like an impressive coach and they are building something I reckon.

I think Saad is a very big loss especially when we factor in McKenna going - and he will be happy to remind us of how good he is when we play them next.

They should make finals but I am not sold on their forward line and with Curnow always injured it is a worry.

As for us Saad and McKenna out is a massive loss. It forces us to play a different game style as we do not have the speed of both flanks that allowed us to play the way we had. IMO having McKenna go through what he did this year certainly hurt our game style as it allowed sides to clamp down on Saad more.
In some ways we may need McGrath to go back to half back and hope Hind can provide run from the other side.
Anyway I am not expecting a lot other than I hope they can get on the same page and have a decent crack most weeks. If they can do that then we will win a few more than most think but we still have to chip away in another draft IMO.

They should make finals but I am not sold on their forward line and with Curnow always injured it is a worry.

As for us Saad and McKenna out is a massive loss. It forces us to play a different game style as we do not have the speed of both flanks that allowed us to play the way we had. IMO having McKenna go through what he did this year certainly hurt our game style as it allowed sides to clamp down on Saad more.
In some ways we may need McGrath to go back to half back and hope Hind can provide run from the other side.
Anyway I am not expecting a lot other than I hope they can get on the same page and have a decent crack most weeks. If they can do that then we will win a few more than most think but we still have to chip away in another draft IMO.
I think they need McKay to go to another level as well to be really dangerous. My optimism for them is based on the belief they showed in some really spirited performances this year - that plus some pretty good inclusions.

Ive said it elsewhere, but Curnow is very quickly becoming a Daniher-esque situation.

2019: “oh just wait to see how good we’ll be when Charlie is back next year!”

2020: “just wait! Next year we’ll be SO good when Charlie is back!

2021: “so Charlie might be back mid season. Then we’ll be great, you just wait!”

players want to be involved in finals, and EFC hasn't really done enough to get to that point over a long time, you can understand why players look for opportunities now, especially when other sports are doing it more and more.

this year was a prime example, it doesn't mean those players didn't enjoy their time and the colours and history, but it's going to come down to things like what the club sold as a direction over 4-5 years, and it not getting anywhere near that vision.
A few years ago getting past the saga was enough to briefly sell us as a destination club.

It’s gonna take us getting past mediocrity to make that real

No one Richmond wants to keep leaves them. Same for Hawthorn.. maybe even still.

A few years ago getting past the saga was enough to briefly sell us as a destination club.

It’s gonna take us getting past mediocrity to make that real

No one Richmond wants to keep leaves them. Same for Hawthorn.. maybe even still.
That’s an interesting point actually. I don’t want to be a destination club. You shouldn’t need to be one if you are a retain the talent you want to retain club.

There’s been a fair few that we wanted to retain over the last ten years that have left, bit hard to build a list when the key pieces you put together keep leaving.

Geelong lost Ablett and Kelly when they didn’t want to but I can’t think of any others and they got Ablett back in the end. That’s two in a decade.

Compared to Ryder Melksham Hibberd Carlisle Daniher Saad. Even Fantasia and maybe Crameri? And that’s just the ones we lost to trades, we’ve had retirements we would have liked to turn out differently too, with McKenna and Jobe in particular. (It was time for Jobe but I wonder if his career would have lasted longer if circumstances were different.)

Probably an even trade, when you analyse it from multiple angles.

I'm certainly in the camp of draft picks being overrated. But draft picks are also worth different amounts to different teams, depending on the team's situation. We're in a position where draft picks are important.

And the thing about Saad is...he's a certainty to be elite at his position. In a non-biased view (given he now plays for Carlton), Saad is close to the best combination of offensive and defensive small defender in the competition. I would be nervous about playing against him...expect I don't expect us to be anywhere near success in the next couple of years.

As an out-an-out fan...he's a huge loss. Daniher in particular, as well as Fantasia, have been 2 of our most enjoyable players to watch over the past few years, but unfortunately they've rarely played. Saad was our guy who was so impressive and so enjoyable to watch and appreciate who has been consistent over the last few years. That will be sorely missed.

I guess we have to hope that we go from 'impressive players' to an 'impressive team' in terms of style. It might not be asap, but a 'process' over the next 2-3 years.
I do have faith in Rutten, but will be a very interesting few years.

And the thing about Saad is...he's a certainty to be elite at his position. In a non-biased view (given he now plays for Carlton), Saad is close to the best combination of offensive and defensive small defender in the competition. I would be nervous about playing against him...expect I don't expect us to be anywhere near success in the next couple of years.

As an out-an-out fan...he's a huge loss. Daniher in particular, as well as Fantasia, have been 2 of our most enjoyable players to watch over the past few years, but unfortunately they've rarely played. Saad was our guy who was so impressive and so enjoyable to watch and appreciate who has been consistent over the last few years. That will be sorely missed.

I guess we have to hope that we go from 'impressive players' to an 'impressive team' in terms of style. It might not be asap, but a 'process' over the next 2-3 years.
I do have faith in Rutten, but will be a very interesting few years.
I began to absolutely hate watching us because of Joe. He was so infuriating I don't think there is a player that has ever made me hate barracking for the team the way Joe did. Saad was one of the ones who kept my interest last season.

That’s an interesting point actually. I don’t want to be a destination club. You shouldn’t need to be one if you are a retain the talent you want to retain club.

There’s been a fair few that we wanted to retain over the last ten years that have left, bit hard to build a list when the key pieces you put together keep leaving.

Geelong lost Ablett and Kelly when they didn’t want to but I can’t think of any others and they got Ablett back in the end. That’s two in a decade.

Compared to Ryder Melksham Hibberd Carlisle Daniher Saad. Even Fantasia and maybe Crameri? And that’s just the ones we lost to trades, we’ve had retirements we would have liked to turn out differently too, with McKenna and Jobe in particular. (It was time for Jobe but I wonder if his career would have lasted longer if circumstances were different.)
If you ask most businesses they would prefer retention over attraction.

The revolving door makes holes in culture. Plus all that talent walking out, usually at peak career age. Wonder how many games that has and will cost us?

If you ask most businesses they would prefer retention over attraction.

The revolving door makes holes in culture. Plus all that talent walking out, usually at peak career age. Wonder how many games that has and will cost us?
And if you're not attracting them then you can't replace that skill level or experience via the draft either.

tbf, Saad basically replaced Hibberd.

And if you're not attracting them then you can't replace that skill level or experience via the draft either.

tbf, Saad basically replaced Hibberd.
That’s a good example of the revolving door culture hey. Someone good goes, someone good comes, doesn’t feel they have to take feedback on, leaves.

Great teams have everyone so pumped to be there that they swallow their pride and do what’s required.

In recent years we have had saga veterans and newcomers alike just picking and choosing. And then blaming someone else for the culture not being ruthless enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We matched the offer though? Maybe we matched too late?
I think he’d already made up his mind at that point and I took it as part of the posturing that we would take him back in the preseason draft if they didn’t do the deal. Cutting off the exit routes to get a deal done

Any truth to this?

You’d certainly hope not. Why do you say that?

Did something happen tonight?

That sort of reaction from him is incredibly uncharacteristic, and I don't believe he'd be as visibly upset based on the scoreline. These are assumptions, nonetheless, so we'll see what happens in the next few days.

According to foxfooty he “collapsed 80 seconds before the end, tried to play on and then gingerly came off the field”. AFL live tracker thing said he was benched due to injury too.

An injury makes more sense than being devo for a coach or a 115 point loss or whatever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back