Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing.

I think there was genuine scope to turn him into a Richmond/Collingwood style small forward. Similar to Josh Thomas.

I genuinely can't believe some of the players we will have turfed and yet to retained Watson and Hrovat. Truly baffling.

Dec Watson would want to have a pretty good year in 2019.

Yeah, put me in the 'Mountford>Hrovat' camp.

Should just payout Hrovat and keep mountford

That’s how easy it should be

It’s the opposite of what I’ve been told
mate.

John Lamont said to me personally at the end of 2016 that Dec and Hibberd were two of the most coachable kids he’s ever had play under him. He was certain that the two of them had all the traits to be 150+ game players.

The fact that he could follow instruction was reflective in the roles he played while at Werribee. His role changed weekly. One week tagger, next lockdown small forward, next week inside mid, next week wingman. These things don’t suggest he was bad at following team instructions....

Wagner & Pruess on the other hand...

Dean Laidley told me that Ash Watson was going to play 200 AFL games. Sometimes initial impressions are wrong.

I’m not sure there’s anything more to this than 2 limited footballers got the arse. It happens.

Dean Laidley told me that Ash Watson was going to play 200 AFL games. Sometimes initial impressions are wrong.

I’m not sure there’s anything more to this than 2 limited footballers got the arse. It happens.
Rubbish, no way we've seen Dec's limits.

Last edited:

It’s the opposite of what I’ve been told
mate.

John Lamont said to me personally at the end of 2016 that Dec and Hibberd were two of the most coachable kids he’s ever had play under him. He was certain that the two of them had all the traits to be 150+ game players.

The fact that he could follow instruction was reflective in the roles he played while at Werribee. His role changed weekly. One week tagger, next lockdown small forward, next week inside mid, next week wingman. These things don’t suggest he was bad at following team instructions....

Wagner & Pruess on the other hand...

Leigh Tudor > John Lamont

A former North player told me he didn't think Dec would make it.... That every good AFL player had one elite quality and that while he was a good solid player that was what he lacked.
I like the kid and thought that was a tad harsh, but i guess that's how he's viewed internally.

Seemed like a nice enough kid who was working hard enough, but there's about 10 players delisted each year who could easily replace him.

No point clogging our list with nice depth guys over having another shot at bringing in someone special. If we find that we have a need for a limited half forward we'll just trade pick 156 for one.

A former North player told me he didn't think Dec would make it.... That every good AFL player had one elite quality and that while he was a good solid player that was what he lacked.
I like the kid and thought that was a tad harsh, but i guess that's how he's viewed internally.

Mountford produced the fastest agility run of any WA player with his 8.35 seconds, beating touted first-round draftee Callum Ah Chee (South Fremantle), and also recorded the third-fastest 20m sprint of 2.90 seconds.

His fourth placing in the agility run was backed up with fourth in the beep test where the Claremont midfielder reached level 15.2.

Mountford just missed out breaking the nine-minute barrier in the 3km time trial, producing a time of 10:04, again finishing fourth.

The 18-year-old also shone in the skills testing, scoring 21 out of 30 on the kicking test which showcases a player's ability in kicking to targets at short, medium and long distances on both sides of their body, and recorded 26 out of 30 in the clean hands handball test.

Both efforts placed him fourth overall.

Claremont talent development manager Warren Parker said Mountford's efforts would make recruiters take more notice of their latest potential draftee.

"Athletically we know he is gifted and he has worked super hard to get his body right for this weekend so it has come as no surprise he has tested really well," Parker said.

"His on and off-field habits are at an elite level already.

Elite endurance and agility is a nice starting point.

https://thewest.com.au/news/great-southern/mountford-shines-in-draft-testing-ng-ya-394119

:(

3 years later and Ben McKay is all that stands from the 2015 national and rookie drafts combined.

To think we'd setup a dynasty off the back of that one..

It really is slim pickings after McKay though. Sier and Tom Phillips for the pies have done well and probably a strong reason for their great season.

Hard-running Roo cut as North clears space

DEFENDER Declan Mountford has been delisted as North Melbourne continues to make space on its senior list ahead of what's expected to be a bumper trade period for the club.

North announced on Thursday Mountford, 21, would not be offered a contract in 2019 after he failed to play a senior game in his third year at the club this season.

After debuting in 2017 and playing 12 games, the West Australian's bid to add to his senior games tally was not helped when he was forced to undergo shoulder surgery in February and subsequently suffered hamstring and ankle injuries.

Mountford's delisting means North has now moved on five players from its senior list, with Billy Hartung, Mitch Hibberd, Daniel Nielson and Josh Williams informed last month they would not be offered new contracts.

Contracted ruckman Braydon Preuss and out-of-contract midfielder Ryan Clarke could also depart Arden St via trades to join Melbourne and Sydney respectively, while the Roos have also delisted three rookies: Tom Jeffries, Oscar Junker and Gordon Narrier.

These delistings come as North has already won commitments from out-of-contract midfielders Jared Polec (Port Adelaide) and Aaron Hall (Gold Coast) ahead of next week's NAB AFL Trade Period, while the Roos are also waiting to hear whether star West Coast midfielder Andrew Gaff will accept their free agency offer, which is understood to be worth more than $8 million over seven years. Swans defender Nic Newman is another possible trade target after he met with the Kangaroos recently.

North football manager Cameron Joyce said it had not been an easy decision to delist Mountford. "Declan had an unlucky start to the season with injury and unfortunately he couldn't add to his 12-game tally," Joyce said. "Despite some good form late in the year in the VFL, we had to make a very tough decision. "The club wishes him the very best for his future endeavours."

Recruited with pick No.60 in 2015's NAB AFL Draft, Mountford debuted in round one last year and played North's final 11 games of the season, spending most of his time in defence. Blessed with a good mix of endurance and pace, he also proved an effective run-with midfielder.

North defender Alex Morgan also remains out of contract and will likely have to wait until the end of the Trade Period on October 17 before learning whether he will be offered a new contract.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet we still have Morgan and Hrovat. Surely they should be out first?

Oh, well, it's hard to be too disappointed form a fan perspective because of the players we have coming in. But I hope he gets picked up elsewhere and goes on to be a 200 gamer. A lot to like about Dec.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back