Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
20 disposals & 11 tackles on the weekend.

Tagged Nick Suban (ex Freo listed player) and kept him to 13 disposals

Currently ranked 3rd in the WAFL for tackles.
I was disappointed when we delisted Dec, but I imagine he would only be depth at the moment.

Very pleased that he is doing well.

WAFL is higher standard than VFL though

How so? It’s almost a completely different game to VFL on the wide and long expanses of the WA grounds. The big difference is the WA teams are playing to win a flag while the VFL sides with AFL links have that a distant second priority to player development.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How so? It’s almost a completely different game to VFL on the wide and long expanses of the WA grounds. The big difference is the WA teams are playing to win a flag while the VFL sides with AFL links have that a distant second priority to player development.
Didn't the WAFL bests comprehensively beat the VFL bests last year? was by about 10 goals i believe.

Victoria has the under 18's TAC cup which also dilutes the quality.

Victorian quality mature age players won't get a game over youth development in the VFL and they also often choose to not play in the VFL as the money is better in the country leagues. the AFL youth have the skills but the majority won't be able to compete against some of the bigger blokes that choose to play for money in the country leagues. i mean at the end of the day of the 100-200 AFL listed players running around in the VFL, most will be delisted and end up playing in the VFL in a few years time anyway, and most of those players most will go to other leagues for money.

Looking at Dec 2 years ago at werribee he was playing much better than he is now at claremont, and he's 2 years older...

imho.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That's VFL listed players only, isn't it?

Either way, I don't reckon there's a lot between the comps.

VFL suits certain players better (grunts & defenders) & WAFL suits certain players better (forwards & outside mids/running players)

Didn't the WAFL bests comprehensively beat the VFL bests last year? was by about 10 goals i believe.
That's VFL listed players only, isn't it?

Either way, I don't reckon there's a lot between the comps.

VFL suits certain players better (grunts & defenders) & WAFL suits certain players better (forwards & outside mids/running players)

Correct. Add in the AFL players playing VFL and the balance shifts enormously. Anyway, as you said, the VFL is a more congested competitive game to the free wheeling WAFL.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
25 disposals, 15 TACKLES and a goal for Dec on the weekend. 2nd best in a losing side.

Another one, along with Mitch Hibberd, who can run all day.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Declan Mountford has been cleared of a head-butting charge that threatened to overshadow Claremont’s tight win over Perth on Saturday.
The former North Melbourne midfielder, who produced one of his best league performances on his return to Claremont this year, was reported for rough conduct over his clash with Matt Rogers early in the game at Claremont Oval.

Back