Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, seems odd. I was thinking this when we signed Morgan. Perhaps its to do with the war chest and the fact that we will be into tom lynch.

That's all I can think of, even then we will have space.

Because Declan already plays for us so we didn't have to offer overs?

Declan had longer term offers from both Freo and West Coast. We were lucky that he is a country kid who is loyal, if it had of been one of our other younger guys that stalling could have cost us one of our kids who has actually shown something.

I'm confident that as soon as he is established as a best 22 player, that he'll get a good 2 year extension, which should be the norm, but isn't so much nowadays at North.

Surely you'd just offer him two years at a base rate and he'd take it?

The way that read, it seems he literally did not have a contract offered and genuinely thought he could be delisted.

I do think part of it was an issue of how it would have been structured waiting for trade period and all that to wrap up, but one year seems odd. Perhaps it's merely to see if he can get a bigger contract from us after this year.

I also think that there was a distinct chance we were in a bit of disarray after Martin/Kelly fell through. Seemed to have little idea of the market value of our players through the trade period and a lot of what we wanted to make happen eg moving up in the draft etc never happened. We're lucky we didn't lose players in that time because we looked pretty shaky.

Our list management leaves so much to be desired its not funny. He should have been signed up in his first year on the back of his VFL form. From all accounts he is a really good kid who is arguably the hardest worker (of the young guys) at the club along with Hibberd.

I don't see where the downside is with his kid?

It's all good, the club has been concentrating on extending JMAC from 2019 through to the all important 2020.

How often do people complain about things like Goldstein's contract? What the hell do people want?
Those people who complain seem to forget that when he signed that rumoured 800k (or more deal) he was worth every cent. As no one could see the decline in Goldy's form, people feel the need to complain and moan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list management leaves so much to be desired its not funny. He should have been signed up in his first year on the back of his VFL form. From all accounts he is a really good kid who is arguably the hardest worker (of the young guys) at the club along with Hibberd.

I don't see where the downside is with his kid?
Something isnt right here.

I have followed Mountford since playing colts at Claremont and he is one committed and under-stated young man. Great get at pick 60 and I was particularly pissed off with our recruitment team to have gone Mutimer 3 slots earlier. I am struggling to understand why only 1 year extension for him as I was seeing much better development than that.

I have followed Mountford since playing colts at Claremont and he is one committed and under-stated young man. Great get at pick 60 and I was particularly pissed off with our recruitment team to have gone Mutimer 3 slots earlier. I am struggling to understand why only 1 year extension for him as I was seeing much better development than that.
Yeah we seen his improvement first hand, seems to belong at AFL level and the only 'issue' for locking him in longer that I can think of is probably the go home factor?..

He's HIGHLY rated by the wider NMFC faithful and I'm definitely one of them.

Will be our best midfielder in years to come

Bookmark it.

Calm down.

It looks as though the club was holding back. Odd. The kid had done enough to get another 12 months.

My read on it all along, looking purely at the facts, was that we simply didn't rate him. It was the only thing that made sense. Everything in that article seems to back that up. Personally, I find it bizarre that a hardworking, versatile kid with a good head on his shoulders and fantastic leg speed and who showed a lot in his few gameswould be genuinely not rated by the football club, but for some reason or the other that seems to be the case. It's also worth remembering that he received less votes per game in the BnF per game than guys like Majak and Durdin. Very confusing.

My read on it all along, looking purely at the facts, was that we simply didn't rate him. It was the only thing that made sense.

Id qualify this to perhaps not rating his ceiling as high as some posters on here.

If we didnt rate him at all we wouldnt have kept him on the list and im pretty sure the club rates both his character and work ethic.

Declan had longer term offers from both Freo and West Coast. We were lucky that he is a country kid who is loyal, if it had of been one of our other younger guys that stalling could have cost us one of our kids who has actually shown something.

Have you a link to this? A Freo supporter close to the inner sanctum told me that was not true. And although he has shown potential, I would doubt on his games up to now that WC would have been offering him a place in their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back