Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Just love this kid and I know I've said it a million times. Fingers crossed he makes it with us. Spiritual son of Stevo.

Said it for a couple of years, taking out the 2017 draft class, he is our most complete midfielder in the U25 crew. Quick, endurance, contested player, great hands and vision, good mark, everything we lack in the likes of Clarke, Dumont, Simpkin and Mc Donald.

He has a low centre of gravity which makes him reliable with the ball in hand.
Can also spread from a contest and leg speed. His kicking is good enough but hes a good decision maker.
I mean what isnt there to like?

Also hes built more like Tarrant then Turner. IN FOR BRISBANE

Said it for a couple of years, taking out the 2017 draft class, he is our most complete midfielder in the U25 crew. Quick, endurance, contested player, great hands and vision, good mark, everything we lack in the likes of Clarke, Dumont, Simpkin and Mc Donald.

Absolutely this!

He's not a complete midfielder. No left foot, tends not to get quite enough of the ball, and that's setting aside rumours that he sometimes struggles with structures.

He's a Levi Greenwood type. Super football athlete with holes in his game. Which is fine. Someone who contributes at the level of Levi at that point of the draft is a win.

He's not a complete midfielder. No left foot, tends not to get quite enough of the ball, and that's setting aside rumours that he sometimes struggles with structures.

He's a Levi Greenwood type. Super football athlete with holes in his game. Which is fine. Someone who contributes at the level of Levi at that point of the draft is a win.

Don't agree with the Levi comparison, very different.

However, if he was perfect, he would be in Brownlow contention. Higgins doesn't chase, Dal Santo couldn't kick on his other side, so he isn't alone there. BUT, I said compared to our other U25's, he is the most complete player. Not compared to the rest of the competition. Like all footballers he has things to work on but I think that he can make a bigger difference to the side than most of our younger players right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unselfishly didn't shoot for goal, but kicked it perfectly to Flash's advantage to make sure of it :thumbsu:, in the 1's sooner rather than later for mine
Good run and carry that does not get on the stats sheet

181, Jacobs 185.

Brady Rawlings was 184 (FYI, just before he became a tagger, I compared BJ to rawligns in his statistical output and what he could become - so I am totally claiming the decision and success we have with BJ).

BJ has 4cm and 7kgs on Dec.

Blokes like Fyfe , Bont, Kennedy, Cripps, Danger would all have 10+ cm and 15+ kgs on him.

BJ has 4cm and 7kgs on Dec.

Blokes like Fyfe , Bont, Kennedy, Cripps, Danger would all have 10+ cm and 15+ kgs on him.
Right now yeah - kgs can come, and I'm not entirely sure if height is a huge factor around the ball. They all have to get down over it and low centre of gravity can be very good so long as you have a strong core (ablett is a beast in this way - but never plays any defence). Regardless I think froggy is working his way into that tagging role.

Right now yeah - kgs can come, and I'm not entirely sure if height is a huge factor around the ball. They all have to get down over it and low centre of gravity can be very good so long as you have a strong core (ablett is a beast in this way - but never plays any defence). Regardless I think froggy is working his way into that tagging role.

His lack of height would see his opponents expose him by dragging him forward. He was tried in a run with role at the end of last year with mixed results, but you'd expect that from a bloke starting off his career .

His lack of height would see his opponents expose him by dragging him forward. He was tried in a run with role at the end of last year with mixed results, but you'd expect that from a bloke starting off his career .
If there was the equivalent position of Wing Back as in soccer, then he would be the man for that, imo

Yeah, maybe a defensive role against the oppositions high half forwards.
Kind of like the old pinball flippers ...... Murphy on one side pinging the ball into the 50 and Decca on the other side going for a gallop .... works for me

Declan Mountford | 8 disposals | 4 marks | 6 tackles

“Dec didn’t get a heap of the ball and he was on restricted game time, but he helped with our pressure immensely which is something we haven’t been that good at in previous weeks.

“He starts high, and he uses his speed to get back to either pressure the opposition, get to the fall of the ball or even win it himself.

“He was terrific given he’s played very little football this year.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back