Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

Way quicker than Sloane, finds much less of the ball. The only similarities are position and draft range, they're very different players.
If he wasnt tagging every game he would be finding huge amounts of the ball.
He is as good inside as out and he is building good strength.
Not that different except for the speed.

This kid is awesome, played a couple of roles during the game. Love his pace, seems to be good inside and out, can evade, seems confident with the ball and didn't make any mistakes. Looks a bit small but that didn't seem to make him ineffective against physical players like Steven

If he wasnt tagging every game he would be finding huge amounts of the ball.
He is as good inside as out and he is building good strength.
Not that different except for the speed.
Unfortunately that isn't the case at this point, I'm pretty sure he's never had above 23-25 disposals in the VFL and he only played as a tagger at that level in the latter part of last year. So far this year he's played as a ball-hunting inside mid and an attacking wingman at that level. So yeah, I'd say that's probably the biggest deficiency in his game and hell probably always average between 17-22 touches a game but he makes up for it by being genuinely elite defensively and more than solid in all other aspects of his game. Is probably the most well-rounded kid on the list imo

At this point we don't have Kelly, Ahern's future post-recovery is anyone's guess and Simpkin's projection as a full-time mid comes with lots of caveats.

Declan could quickly become a necessity and I hope the club allow for this.
The same arguements suggest he could be a valuable trade piece to nab a fitting player.

We need to retain this kid when I was watching Werribee I realised there was no real genuine young mids just forwards and half backs that where north listed. I think he is great doesn't need to get high. Umbers defensivly he is great and just needs to hit targets.

What, are you implying that slightly below average salary for 2-3 years is overs for a kid we'd like to keep?

No but we may need to offer him a a bit more if some of those WA rumours are correct. I can see why the regular Werribee watchers were giving him big raps. 400K a year might not be enough. If he does a better job than some other players by the end of the season (and I can see that's a possibility) then below average wages are a bit rude.

And, just on principle, 2 games half a season apart isn't really enough to base an assessment on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid is awesome, played a couple of roles during the game. Love his pace, seems to be good inside and out, can evade, seems confident with the ball and didn't make any mistakes. Looks a bit small but that didn't seem to make him ineffective against physical players like Steven
Not completely true. His disposal inside 50 needs some work. Kicked an absolute clanger I think in the third quarter with a couple of North players open. A goal definitely went begging. In saying that I thought his game was brilliant. Pretty much one of the only shining lights from last Friday night that kept me from driving up to the top of the Bolte and taking a swan dive ;)

Not completely true. His disposal inside 50 needs some work. Kicked an absolute clanger I think in the third quarter with a couple of North players open. A goal definitely went begging. In saying that I thought his game was brilliant. Pretty much one of the only shining lights from last Friday night that kept me from driving up to the top of the Bolte and taking a swan dive ;)

He does most things well, his pace and work rate are very good. His kicking can be a bit hit and miss but is not in the average to poor category.

I feel a bit sorry for Dec, the bulk of his team mates have nfi how to use a guy with pace, due to almost total lack of it across the board for years, it results in him being assigned the role of tagger when we should be using his assets in a more attacking mode. In the modern game, speed is king.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back