Delisted #42 Jake Stein (Cat B/other sport, 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Giants sign Australian decathlon champion Jake Stein as Category B rookie
73ee73a956f9bbaf27b4a2a07e2e6f82

NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
November 17, 2016 4:00pm

73ee73a956f9bbaf27b4a2a07e2e6f82

GWS Giants have arguably the strongest playing list in the AFL and now they’re about to add one of the nation’s premier athletes in former world youth decathlon champion Jake Stein.

The Penrith local represented Australia at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow after becoming the youngest winner of the national decathlon title in 27 years. But a run of injuries and a desire to re-engage with a team sport has the 22-year-old about to take on the sporting challenge of his life at the Giants.

He has played only a handful of Australian rules matches in his life — allowing him to be signed as a category B rookie — and grew up playing soccer in the famed Marconi youth program which produced a host of Socceroos including Paul Okon and Mark Schwarzer.

In an age where many high-profile athletes like Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau and Karmichael Hunt have switched sports seemingly at the drop of a hat, Stein said his was not a snap decision.

“I’ve gone from watching no AFL to watching every game I could possibly watch,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

“I’ve always wanted to run, jump, kick and tackle and play. When I stopped playing soccer and concentrated on athletics in 2009 I was very happy. But I gradually started missing being in a team environment. It’s hard flogging it out on your own compared to training with teammates.”

Another draw towards the AFL came from his St Dominic’s Penrith school mate, Essendon key defender Michael Hartley who has provided advice along the way.

“I had a chat to him about playing footy and since then he’s offered plenty of help. He wants me to progress quickly so we can play against each other, it might take a while. He played in the Paul Kelly Cup with me in Year 7 and kept at it and it’s paid off.”

The Bombers connection also came into play when he met four-time premiership coach Kevin Sheedy in 2011 when he was training for the decathlon at the Giants’ Blacktown facility.

“When I came to Essendon many years ago I thought the players were like decathletes who played football,” Quinn said.

“A lot of the training programs I did were based on the running loads for a decathlete. The game has changed since then but I think AFL players like decathletes are all around athletes. At 192cm and 93kg he’s the perfect size but the hardest thing for Jake is the skills and structure of the game, a lot of the defensive play and structures isn’t too dissimilar to soccer. It’s not like he’ll start at the highest level, he will work his way through.”

Stein has already been training under the guidance of former Giants assistant coach Luke Power and current assistant Brad Miller.

“I just want to develop as much as I can,” Stein said.

“I’m under no illusions about how hard it will be to break into a ridiculously talented list. Over the course of the next 18 months I’d like to push for senior selection. 2018 is more realistic but I’m not setting any limits.”

IMG_0408.JPG
(From left) Former Giant Setanta O'Hailpin, Kevin Sheedy and Jake Stein in 2012.

Jake of All Trades
GIANTS Media - @GWSGIANTS

18 November 2016 9:57 AM

IMG_0409.JPG

The GIANTS have signed former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein as a category B rookie.

At 22 years of age, Stein is an exciting prospect hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney.

A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medalist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow before giving away the sport earlier this year.

Stein is eligible for a category B rookie contract having not been registered in an Australian Football competition in the last three years.

Having grown up playing soccer and athletics, Stein has also been courted by Rugby League teams in recent years.

Stein said after trialling with the GIANTS over the last six months, he’s excited to join the list.

“It’s fantastic to be part of this club and I’m looking forward to what’s to come,” Stein said.

“Athletics is a bit of a lonely sport at times compared to footy where you have 40 guys on the list so I can’t wait to be back in that team culture.

“Having only started following AFL closely in recent years, I’ve got a real appreciation of how hard the players work and the different skill set that’s required.

“They’re incredible athletes and now that I’ve been lucky enough to get this opportunity, I can’t wait to give it my best crack.

“AFL is really starting to build in Western Sydney and Western Sydney is really embracing the GIANTS and I hope I can play in role in that continuing.”

GIANTS General Manager of Football Wayne Campbell welcomed Stein to the club.

“Jake’s a very gifted athlete and an impressive person and we’re delighted he’s joined the GIANTS,” Campbell said.

“He’s got a strong sporting background and he’s impressed in a number of trials he’s done with our staff over the course of this year.

“Jake will work closely with our development coaches to get up to speed as quickly as possible and we look forward to seeing him commence training with our younger players next week.”

The GIANTS will welcome the next batch of players to join their list at the NAB AFL Draft held at Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion on Friday, November 25.

COMMONWEALTH Games decathlete turned AFL footballer Jake Stein has jumped out of the blocks in his first training session as a GWS player by winning the 3km time trial.

Stein overtook the leaders in the closing stages of a hot and sticky run with the morning temperatures pushing past 30 degrees.

c68779a9d7437b6d65f6e480748eda59

Jake Stein has impressed at his first training session as a GWS player.Source: News Corp Australia

Jake Stein won the 3km time trial in his first pre season session

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

Stein Stars on Day One
Alison Zell - @alisonzell

21 November 2016 4:32 PM

Jake Stein’s footy switch has started with a bang with the rookie taking out Monday’s 3km time trial as the GIANTS’ first to four-year players hit the track for day one of pre-season training.

In hot and humid conditions at Tom Wills Oval on Monday morning, the former decathlete took out the first challenge of the 2017 pre-season as he led home a field that included young guns Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy as well as regular AFL stars Rory Lobb, Zac Williams and Aidan Corr.

22-year-old Stein finished just ahead of last year’s NAB AFL Rising Star nominee Hopper with Matthew Kennedy, Zac Williams and Rory Lobb rounding out the top five.

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2016-11-21/stein-stars-on-day-one

Player profile is up on the Giants website now

IMG_0532.PNG
PLAYER BIO
The GIANTS signed former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein as a category B rookie. At 22 years of age, Stein is an exciting prospect hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney. A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medalist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow before giving away the sport earlier this year. Stein is eligible for a category B rookie contract having not been registered in an Australian Football competition in the last three years. Having grown up playing soccer and athletics, Stein has also been courted by Rugby League teams in recent years.
AT A GLANCE
Junior Clubs: N/A
Debut: -
Recruited From: St Dominics College, Penrith (NSW)
Brownlow Votes:
-
Community Ambassador: TBC

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/jake-stein

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Running Start for Jake
Alison Zell - @alisonzell

4 April 2017 4:03 PM

If he’d gone down a different path, Jake Stein could be exactly a year away from another Commonwealth Games campaign. Instead, he’s just played his first-ever competitive game of Australian Rules football.

Stein was listed by the GIANTS as a Category B rookie in November, having not been registered in an Australian Football competition in the last three years.

A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medalist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and in fact, had never played a game of Australian Rules football before a NEAFL trial match last weekend.

“It was a lot of fun,” Stein said of his NEAFL debut against the Suns Reserves at Spotless Stadium on Saturday.

“We obviously came out a bit slow and the first quarter was pretty average from all of us.

“I was pretty nervous, with it being my first real competition game, but we picked up after the second quarter and got going so I thought we played three really good quarters.

“To come away with the win was fantastic and it was good to sing the team song for the first time.”

Hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney, Stein relished the chance to sing the GIANTS song after his maiden win at his home ground.

“Obviously, I’ve grown up here and there’s been no AFL team in Western Sydney up until the last six years so the fact that I can play in a Western Sydney AFL team, or NEAFL team, was pretty exciting.”

Stein debuted as a backman, and at 195cm and 94kg, has the makings of a tall defender. His transition to football hasn’t been all smooth sailing though.

“The toughest thing for me has been the change of direction,” he said.

“I’ve run in straight lines for six years so I struggled a bit in pre-season with some adductor and hip problems but the fitness and conditioning staff here have got me in good nick.

“I managed to get through the pre-season, which was pretty bloody tough, so now we’re into the season and into the fun stuff.”

He doesn’t have far to look for role models within the GIANTS, and has some of the very best in his mentor group.

“In my group I’ve got Phil Davis - so co-captain of the club, a pretty handy bloke to have - and I get along really well with Adam Tomlinson so he’s been a great help,” Stein said.

“I’ve also got Aidan Corr who is very experienced and I got to play with him on the weekend so that was unreal, having his experience and leadership down back.

“Those guys have helped me quite a bit and just reassured me that what I’m doing down there is right and I’m not doing the wrong things.”

While Stein was playing with an oval ball on Spotless Stadium, just down the road at the Athletics Centre in Sydney Olympic Park, some of his former teammates were competing in the pinnacle of the domestic Australian Athletics season.

Many of the them were in the crowd to support Stein, but it still doesn’t make him miss his previous sport.

“The National Champs were on the weekend and I went and watched,” Stein said.

“My brother competed and a few other mates and I actually couldn’t even contemplate warming up for the National Champs.

“I think they competed in pouring rain for the two days of the decathlon so I was much happier on Saturday, just playing in the backline and doing my part for the team. I couldn’t think about doing 10 events over two days, it’s another life away now.”

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-04-04/a-running-start-for-jake

Last edited:
Stein elevated!!!

Local Rookies Upgraded
gwsgiants.com.au

6 July 2017 10:19 AM

New South Wales products Jake Stein and Zach Sproule have been elevated to the GIANTS’ senior list.

Stein, from Penrith in Sydney’s west, has been upgraded to the senior list as a mid-season rookie elevation.

Stein’s path to the GIANTS has been unconventional, with the 23-year-old signing on as a Category B Rookie late last year following a promising career as a decathlete.

The 195cm defender has shown off his athletic capabilities in 11 NEAFL games this year, taking one of the competition’s marks of the year against the Swans’ Reserves in April.

Meanwhile, 19-year old key forward Sproule from Albury replaces Adam Kennedy who has now been placed on the long-term injury list.

Sproule joined the GIANTS as an Academy Selection in the 2017 AFL Rookie Draft and has impressed in the NEAFL this year, kicking 22 goals in 12 games.

Kennedy played the first seven games in 2017 before rupturing his ACL against St Kilda, requiring a season-ending knee reconstruction.

The defender continues his rehabilitation having signed a three-year contract extension last month through until the end of 2020.

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-07-06/local-rookies-upgraded

Thanks for your efforts for the Giants, Jake. All the best for your future endeavours.

The GIANTS have farewelled three players as part of their initial list changes, after Zach Sproule, Jake Stein and Jarrod Brander were informed they won’t be offered contracts for 2023.

GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney thanked the trio. “We thank Zach, Jake and Jarrod for their contribution to the GIANTS across recent seasons,” he said.

“What Jake’s been able to achieve after coming to the sport quite late has been remarkable and we applaud him for his dedication and hard work to make it at AFL level. This is a hard time for these players, but we truly thank them for helping to build the GIANTS and wish them well for their next chapter.”

Key defender Stein played 20 games across six seasons after signing with the club as a Category B rookie at the end of 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back