Delisted #42: James Gwilt - Not offered 2017 contract - 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another year.
I was thinking about that the other day actually.

Defensively so far we have signatures from:
Hartley
Hurley
Ambrose
Baguley
Morgan
Hooker (could play forward)
Brown (could play forward)
Francis (could play forward)
Fantasia (could play forward)
McDonald-Tipungwuti(could play forward)

10 guys, half of whom are likely to play forward isn't enough for a best 22 and proven depth (and I haven't seen Morgan play). Goddard's contract is basically done, I think, but idk where he'd play next year. Dea isn't a guarantee, and we can't delist, retire or trade that many at once anyway (especially if doing so would mean taking ten picks in the draft).

Pears, Ashby and Edwards should be gone. Long, McKenna and Wallis are probably re-rookied (maybe one upgrade between them). That leaves Dempsey, Gwilt and Gleeson out of contract and possibly re-signed... and of those Gwilt's been the most reliable this year. Gleeson I like but I don't know if he might end up being traded or something (although if we need the depth I imagine we'd be trying to re-sign him).

You could break it down further with KPPs, lock-down types, running rebound types as well.

I'd be ok with keeping him on the list as a mentor and emergency option. Not sure it's necessary if we end up keeping Dea, however.

Dea will play for peanuts. Worth another season to see if goes up a level or two .

Might be unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another year.
Hm. Not sure, we'll have Harts, Hurley and either Brown or Hooker playing key defence with Ambrose as first back up and Francis possibly playing as another 3rd tall type. I'd sooner invest in a project player.

Reckon with Hibberd's departure this gives Gwilt one more year.

Why ? Not that i am anti Gwilt but given Ambrose is signed i see no room for Gwilt. The spot would be better served with a genuine KP forward.

Why ? Not that i am anti Gwilt but given Ambrose is signed i see no room for Gwilt. The spot would be better served with a genuine KP forward.

My reckoning is 12 players will be off our list in the next two years - Expect the club will go 6 and 6 - The six to go this year Pears/Hibberd/Edwards/McKernan/Ashby and one of Cooney and Gwilt.

My reckoning is 12 players will be off our list in the next two years - Expect the club will go 6 and 6 - The six to go this year Pears/Hibberd/Edwards/McKernan/Ashby and one of Cooney and Gwilt.
well cooneys retiring so you can count him in. Still dont see a need for Gwilt next year

well cooneys retiring so you can count him in. Still dont see a need for Gwilt next year

I dont see a need for 10 players, but you can't cut them all in one draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the first round of every draft, rookie upgrade for McDonald-Tipungwuti, first pick in PSD and hopefully a gentlemen's agreement for Dea we can probably afford to cut 8. Alot could depend on what return we get for Hibberd.

It will depend how strong the draft is in 2017 - Strong draft and you go 6 and 6

Given the depth of backs and the possible chance we will take Dea then McKernan would be the better keep for one more year as far as depth goes. Not that i think he will do anything more than he is doing now. They may cut an extra one or two this year given we could in reality promote Walla, McKenna and Long onto the senior list as all look capable of playing senior footy.
One thing is that works well for us is we will have 3 picks inside the top 30.

It will depend how strong the draft is in 2017 - Strong draft and you go 6 and 6
6 this draft with an upgrade and possible re-drafting could see us out by pick 37 (depending on what we get for Hibberd). Light on for mine I'd happily add Gwilt to the list to take another ND pick or PSD given we will have Bags, Gleeson, Francis, Brown.

We could look at redrafting Gwilt as insurance for Dea (if he fails to slip through).

6 this draft with an upgrade and possible re-drafting could see us out by pick 37 (depending on what we get for Hibberd). Light on for mine I'd happily add Gwilt to the list to take another ND pick or PSD given we will have Bags, Gleeson, Francis, Brown.

We could look at redrafting Gwilt as insurance for Dea (if he fails to slip through).

Think the club will want to bank list spots for 2018, with the possibility of McKenna and Long being upgraded.

or a genuine anything really.

Gwilt has provided decent cover but as he gets another year older and another year slower he gets more and obsolete given he can't really play tall or small anymore.

Wouldn't throw the toys out of the cot either way but if we're after experience my preference would be Kelly for one more year.

or a genuine anything really.

Gwilt has provided decent cover but as he gets another year older and another year slower he gets more and obsolete given he can't really play tall or small anymore.

Wouldn't throw the toys out of the cot either way but if we're after experience my preference would be Kelly for one more year.

Agree would sooner have Kelly .

seems he has been delisted.

List Changes
September 2, 2016 4:00 PM

160209_GWILTH.jpg

James Gwilt has been delisted by the Club.

Essendon would like to thank James Gwilt for his dedication and commitment during his two seasons at the Club.

Gwilt was today informed his contract would not be extended next season.

The 30 year-old played 26 games for the Bombers, including 15 games this season before a knee injury ended his 2016 campaign.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-09-02/list-changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back