Player Watch Josh Wagner - delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Still don't know what people see in Wagner. Sure he can compete but his skills are really s**t, if he can gets a long run he'll challenge Bernie for turn overs. And in the Swans game i'm willing to accept that it's an off game but he didn't compete at all, was lazily jogging around the contest most of the night, but that i can let it slide because everyone played average games.

If we kept people purely on effort, we'd still have Magner, Terlich and Tapscott on our list. They had a dip but they had no skills to back it up

Still don't know what people see in Wagner.

He drives the bus. It's an old school skill, but the team needs to get to games and it means one less seat being filled and more leg room for one of the taller boys.

Still don't know what people see in Wagner. Sure he can compete but his skills are really s**t, if he can gets a long run he'll challenge Bernie for turn overs. And in the Swans game i'm willing to accept that it's an off game but he didn't compete at all, was lazily jogging around the contest most of the night, but that i can let it slide because everyone played average games.

If we kept people purely on effort, we'd still have Magner, Terlich and Tapscott on our list. They had a dip but they had no skills to back it up
Apart from look a little like Hunt he brings nothing 2 the team. I got very frustrated watching him turn it over continually & show no desperation.

The problem with Wagner is that you know exactly where he will struggle - and it's the absolute basics. He can do some nice things in his running patterns and get the ball clear nicely - but he fumbles basic chest marks and his field kicking is Tom McDonald 2011 edition on an acid trip. And he does it constantly, with no improvement. He did it from day dot last year, he did it in his earlier match this year and he did it on Friday. He belongs in the bin with Gillies, Weetra and Jace Bode.
He belongs at Casey till he improves his disposal. If not he stays there.

His upside is that he is very, very courageous, he is really good one on one, can play on small sand talls, and is very much team first. Yeah he's not perfect but he's not a spud. People need to be a little less enthusiastic to slag off our own players IMO.
He was very poor and cost us opportunities by continually turning it over. We won't improve if we tolerate basic skill errors especially if there are better options at Casey.

Alright, i'm not his biggest fan but credit where it due. He played well today and good on you Wagner, still got a long way though to convince me your worth keeping for the long term, but well done today

Lol anyone who said white was better

Much, much better today, deserved his criticism last week and deserves praise today.

No notable fumbles or *-ups that I can remember and 2 snausage rolls when we needed someone to stand up.

One of his best games so far without doubt. Was putrid last week, but really happy with his response.

He's back to Casey at record speed when Salem is back, but if he keeps producing that in the meantime, I'll be far less likely to raze his ancestral lands and salt the earth with which it resides ... as I was near to last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of his best games so far without doubt. Was putrid last week, but really happy with his response.

He's back to Casey at record speed when Salem is back, but if he keeps producing that in the meantime, I'll be far less likely to raze his ancestral lands and salt the earth with which it resides ... as I was near to last week.
He's from Queensland, it would be redundant.

Wagner for whatever reason seems to have become the forums whipping boy. I've never really defended him but I've never thought he was as bad as everyone made him out to be. He's only playing his second season of AFL & while he can turn the ball over (& he certainly isn't the only one on our list who is guilty of this) I've never thought he looked out of his depth at this level.

Can this be a lesson for us all to hold fire on players if they have a poor game first up. Give them a chance, experienced players are rusty after a few weeks off, but it's harder for a young inexperienced player whose spot isn't even cemented in the 22.....just like people calling Omacs career before it started and Tmac was a spud.

Wagner for whatever reason seems to have become the forums whipping boy. I've never really defended him but I've never thought he was as bad as everyone made him out to be. He's only playing his second season of AFL & while he can turn the ball over (& he certainly isn't the only one on our list who is guilty of this) I've never thought he looked out of his depth at this level.
He was playing quite well last season before he got hurt. Showed an ability to take intercept marks and his left boot was usually sound and occasionally lethal. He's very, very one sided though and it gets him in strife at times. Last week was just a 'mare for him though. If it was raining leading ladies, he'd have got Lassie

He is AFL level in physical ability, he just makes BAD turnovers coming out of the back 50 that cost us severely.

Oscar McDonald has dropped that out of his game so there's hope for Wags too.

He is AFL level in physical ability, he just makes BAD turnovers coming out of the back 50 that cost us severely.

Oscar McDonald has dropped that out of his game so there's hope for Wags too.
Yep I was very critical of him last week and he wasn't perfect this week either but definit it better.

He can give me a slap in the mouth if he sees me in public because that was a very composed performance by Josh. Good with the ball in hand, defended well and didn't make any costly errors. Something to build on for sure.

Have to admit he played a lot better than last week ...against a different level of opposition . Had a chuckle when he slotted our first ,reckon not many would have him as getting our first .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back