Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have said, plenty to work with. Looks athletic and whilst he is supposed to be an intercept marking defender, which we haven’t seen at afl level yet, I’ve been impressed with his attack on the footy at ground level.

That said, like a few of his team mates, needs to stick to basics re kicking for the time being (at least).

He was pretty good yesterday from where I sat. One bad moment but other than that I liked his attack on the contest, provided some run and his kicking is nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out.
Also, last week he was slightly off pace regarding intensity in the air and seemed to have corrected that abit this week.

Tall player, overlooked for a few years, decent physique for a non professional player. Been a pro for 2 months. I think his body and strength will improve in a professional pre season, he would be hungry as hell to keep this lifestyle now he has it.

Worst case scenario is he’s our third tall for 2-4 years until he’s surpassed by a draftee. Best case he comes a mainstay for the next 4-6 as a ball hawking defender who provides some support run and is reliable.

Like him.

Anyone with a problem with this guy after two games including that game today has rocks in their heads.......

.........baffling some people’s swiftness to shitcan around here.

Posters such as yourself should take your own advice.

Everone should feel free to give their opinion in a respectful way without being insulted by fellow supporters.

Last edited:
He was pretty good yesterday from where I sat. One bad moment but other than that I liked his attack on the contest, provided some run and his kicking is nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out.
Also, last week he was slightly off pace regarding intensity in the air and seemed to have corrected that abit this week.

Tall player, overlooked for a few years, decent physique for a non professional player. Been a pro for 2 months. I think his body and strength will improve in a professional pre season, he would be hungry as hell to keep this lifestyle now he has it.

Worst case scenario is he’s our third tall for 2-4 years until he’s surpassed by a draftee. Best case he comes a mainstay for the next 4-6 as a ball hawking defender who provides some support run and is reliable.

Like him.
He's ahead of McGuiness, that's for sure

I thought he was generally ok. Neither particularly impressive nor disappointing.

Certainly looks a player that has the potential to improve, let's see.

One for the VFL watchers - were we better placed to take Marty Hore instead of Kallan? Purely on stats Hore looks a class above VFL and wouldn’t be much older than Kallan. Just struggling to figure out why he’s not on the list when clearly was a need from preseason
I'm pretty sure Marty didn't nominate for MSD, correct me if i'm wrong? Which is a real shame because watching the first half yesterday Hore was playing really well, great set of hands and took a few good marks down back.

edit: For the thread, I thought Dawson looked okay, I think when we can see McKay, Corr and Dawson together I'll be able to see how it flows, I worry we need another big behemoth though and Dawson may not be there yet. Franklin, Mcdonald and Reid seemed to be towering above our mob.

I will say he needs to go to SpecSavers.

I swear he hit lace out targets at least twice and not a North player in the picture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure Marty didn't nominate for MSD, correct me if i'm wrong? Which is a real shame because watching the first half yesterday Hore was playing really well, great set of hands and took a few good marks down back.

edit: For the thread, I thought Dawson looked okay, I think when we can see McKay, Corr and Dawson together I'll be able to see how it flows, I worry we need another big behemoth though and Dawson may not be there yet. Franklin, Mcdonald and Reid seemed to be towering above our mob.
marty didnt have to nominate as he is a former delisted afl player, some loophole

One for the VFL watchers - were we better placed to take Marty Hore instead of Kallan? Purely on stats Hore looks a class above VFL and wouldn’t be much older than Kallan. Just struggling to figure out why he’s not on the list when clearly was a need from preseason

Hore is too small to be a genuine key position player and lacks speed and agility. He has high footy IQ which leads him to finding plenty of the footy at VFL but his disposal by foot varies from okay to downright abhorrent.

Dawson’s athleticism and genuine height gave him the nod I’d imagine.

It's seriously beyond a joke the negative assessments of Kallan after two games. He's got some impressive athletic traits and is super composed . He'll be our Jake Lever after a couple of pre-seasons - easily.

I agree the negative comments are harsh, but gee we set ourselves up for disappointment when we anoint him "easily as good as Jake Lever"

Shaun Atley - Chris Judd
Jack Ziebell - Nathan Buckley
Nathan Hrovat - Boomer

The list goes on

Posters such as yourself should take your own advice.

Everone should feel free to give their opinion in a respectful way without being insulted by fellow supporters.
By ‘insulted’, do you mean ‘encountering any disagreement or friction at all?’

Because if so, why don’t you take your own advice? How dare you take me to task on my post! My precious freedom!

You’d think I’d called a swathe of posters utensil gobbling campaigners instead of saying “anyone potting this guy after two games has rocks in their head”

Feel free to come back on me, but I feel pretty fine about using the profanity of a 19th century roustabout to defend the honour of a 2 game player who’s just had more touches than Horne-Francis and has ppl legitimately posting delist.

Grow up.

Probably important to remember - and it's a distinction I struggle with sometimes too - there's a key difference between being a poor kick and not making the right decisions.

Nothing looks technically wrong with Dawson's kicking that I can see, it's more him not realising the half-metre of space always available at VFL level gets swallowed up in an instant when playing AFL.

Normally that rectifies itself after a few games for someone in Dawson's role who's not asked to be a key ball mover.

He had a couple of really nice classy possessions rebounding the ball. One where he perfectly weighted a kick to Stephenson and the other where he used his power to run through an Adelaide defender.

He had some nice intercept marks today as well. I think he has some enormous potential and I'd love to see what he could do under Clarkson after a full preseason.

There's a long way to go between now and round one next year, but I'd have him in our fully healthy best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back