Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

I like him.

If he goes to Specsavers for a check up I think he will be a handy pick up.

I swear he drilled perfect passes that went nowhere near a North player multiple times.

His passes were probably perfect at Williamstown level.

But AFL level he was finding all his teammates were a yard slower.

Tom Stewart of Geelong was 24 in his first game and averaged 10.5 touches in his first four games.

I'm not suggesting Kallan will be the same level of player, but it's an example that just because a player is already 24 it doesn't mean that being in an AFL environment can't still develop a player and take them to another level.
Agree with this but he was plucked and mentored by Matthew Scarlett, IMO the greatest full back of all time

Nope, it wasn't. Long way to go, but some tools to work with, both athletically and footy-wise

Seems to have morphed into David Dench since the season finished. He looked athletic with ball in hand but was poor in marking contests. Hopefully, just an acclimatisation thing but with Logue coming in can't see him playing much.

Seems to have morphed into David Dench since the season finished. He looked athletic with ball in hand but was poor in marking contests. Hopefully, just an acclimatisation thing but with Logue coming in can't see him playing much.
I don't think that's fair; I'm just one of a number who've suggested that the bloke looks like worth persevering with - I might have missed it, but don't recall anyone making a Dench analogy. The point you make about his marking I absolutely agree with - for someone who came with wraps on his marking, that hasn't been a strength; what has been is ball in hand, and glimpses of run and carry. So a mixed bag, but worth another year

I don't think that's fair; I'm just one of a number who've suggested that the bloke looks like worth persevering with - I might have missed it, but don't recall anyone making a Dench analogy. The point you make about his marking I absolutely agree with - for someone who came with wraps on his marking, that hasn't been a strength; what has been is ball in hand, and glimpses of run and carry. So a mixed bag, but worth another year
Will take some confidence to start flying for his marks like he did at Willy. Hopefully it comes

Sorry, not potting you, just noticed a trend with best 22 teams and the like that he is spoken in a much higher regard than he has shown and while that isn't all that uncommon on the board, it just seems to be rare for a mature age draftee that has been average so far.

Are we forgetting where he’s come from? Good chance he is on a steep learning curve (still). Exceeded my expectations by far given the poor reports on here pre-selection.

If he was a late 2021 draft selection and we didn’t know anything about him, we would be doing cartwheels with the start of his career.

Lets give him 5 minutes, jeez.

Might be a tad early to say he won't be playing much next year.

Clarko's first order of business is to fix our defence which was woeful this year. If we get Logue, he and McKay are the only locks for the start of next year.

That leaves four spots up for grabs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't a huge fan of the Dawson pick, mainly because I wanted D'Ambrosio, but he has certainly showed some good signs when he played in the seniors. Good run and carry, neat skills and elite closing speed. He was an excellent contested mark at VFL level, but hadn't really shown that at AFL level in his 4 games.

He has plenty of athletic tools to work with and will only improve after a full pre-season. Would not surprise me at all if he cements himself in our back 6 next year.
With Buckets, McDonald, Dawson, Corr and Logue, we can set up a legitimate zone to press up the ground. All are aerial threats and most are decent kicks.

Will take some confidence to start flying for his marks like he did at Willy. Hopefully it comes
1/ was coming off a injury when he was drafted
2/ come a long way in a short period of time wasn't even playing VFL 1s prior to this year
3/ was working full time as a sparky
4/ will benefit immensely from having had a taste in 2022, having an injury free run, being in a proffessional environment, and with it more time in the gym, a full pre-season, and learning the game plan and teachings of AFL level coaches.

I thought there was a lot to like about his few games, and I'm hopefull he has a long and fruitful career in the royal blue and white.

1669336870712.png

Have we overlooked a pretty solid debut 1/2 year from this lad?

To the eye test he appeared to acquit himself well.

Statistically (against league wide benchmarks) he's showed some strong early signs. If he can get his intercept marks up towards his VFL numbers he really could be a find.

I'm a fan, the biggest knock coming in was his kicking and that seemed to be at a reasonable level.

The issue he faces is he's competing against Mckay, Coor and Logue. I'd like to see him trialled on a wing, his pace is good and his height could be an advantage in that role.

View attachment 1560356

Statistically (against league wide benchmarks) he's showed some strong early signs. If he can get his intercept marks up towards his VFL numbers he really could be a find.
His defense one on one loses were 12.5%, which is elite. Very small sample size, a great start though.

I'm a fan, the biggest knock coming in was his kicking and that seemed to be at a reasonable level.

The issue he faces is he's competing against Mckay, Coor and Logue. I'd like to see him trialled on a wing, his pace is good and his height could be an advantage in that role.
Or at CHF if Comben isn't in the team and he can't get a game in defense. He should have debuted there when Larkey was a late out.

His marking is very good and he's quick. Better option than a slow ruckman.

View attachment 1560356

Agree - the curious thing is he was drafted on the back of his intercept marking which is the one area of his game we didn’t see much of; if that picks up he’s a keeper

View attachment 1560356

Considering he came in at possibly the lowest point this season and still played well is remarkable.

New coaching lineup and bolstered VFL will help massively in his development.

With Buckets, McDonald, Dawson, Corr and Logue, we can set up a legitimate zone to press up the ground. All are aerial threats and most are decent kicks.

Does this Clarkson fellow know much about that sort of thing though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back