Player Watch #42: Kallan Dawson - Twomey reporting 1yr extension - Roo until end '24

Gets caught out of position easily and struggles in 1v1 situations.

Does have attributes that can be useful at AFL level, but at 24, he should be given less latitude for basic positioning errors.
He's played 3 games at AFL level, came from a completely different club halfway through the year and is yet to have an AFL standard pre-season.

I like what I see so far. Let's wait until he's had a pre-season and a decent crack under a new system before we judge him.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
He's played 3 games at AFL level, came from a completely different club halfway through the year and is yet to have an AFL standard pre-season.

I like what I see so far. Let's wait until he's had a pre-season and a decent crack under a new system before we judge him.
He’s 24.

He gets less leeway when discussing his question marks as he’s far more developed physically.

His kicking isn’t as bad as it looked in the VFL and he does well when playing loose.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’s 24.

He gets less leeway when discussing his question marks as he’s far more developed physically.

His kicking isn’t as bad as it looked in the VFL and he does well when playing loose.
I have no issue giving him another year to see what he can produce with a full AFL preasesson under him and playing in a better system.

I still think people are getting carried away, probably a result of us just hoping for once that a list management decision comes off.

I still don’t think he would be on many other lists, but we don’t have the luxury of not giving him at least another year given the deplorable depth of bigger defenders we currently have.

Also agree he is 24 so he needs to make every post a winner. He won’t be given the leeway of a young draftee.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
By ‘insulted’, do you mean ‘encountering any disagreement or friction at all?’

Because if so, why don’t you take your own advice? How dare you take me to task on my post! My precious freedom!

You’d think I’d called a swathe of posters utensil gobbling campaigners instead of saying “anyone potting this guy after two games has rocks in their head”

Feel free to come back on me, but I feel pretty fine about using the profanity of a 19th century roustabout to defend the honour of a 2 game player who’s just had more touches than Horne-Francis and has ppl legitimately posting delist.

Grow up.
Fwiw, utensil gobling campaigner should be used more often in here imho.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I’m still concerned about his kicking. Doesn’t make howlers, but does it lack a bit of penetration ?
Don't see anything wrong with it tbh... he only needs to get it to a ball carrier.

Lmac gets plenty of penetration, but couldn't hit the side of a barn at times.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Thought he had a solid game. Will take some time to of course to fully adjust to the pace/standards of AFL Footy (hopefully a Pre-Season under Clarko will do the trick).

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't see anything wrong with it tbh... he only needs to get it to a ball carrier.

Lmac gets plenty of penetration, but couldn't hit the side of a barn at times.

Old mate Ben McKay looks horrible in hand yet doesn't get fancy and goes better than anyone else in the side. As a tall back just pick your targets

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's already breaking the lines, 3 games in. F***ing good on him!! He seems super tough.
He showed this along with intercepting marking. Scotty Thompson did that times with less tools than this guy. If he can maintain the hunger shown in his first few games then we have a real player. I assumed he wouldn't have this sort of confidence so early in the piece. I'm ver impressed.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Impressive and actually quite scary how much that stood out on the weekend. Been a while since we've seen that from our backline...
Yep.

It's that sort of run and carry we've been missing when we had Noble at the helm.

Dawson identified the space and used his athleticism to gain separation for the long kick.

Textbook footy.

Yep.

It's that sort of run and carry we've been missing when we had Noble at the helm.

Dawson identified the space and used his athleticism to gain separation for the long kick.

Textbook footy.
Best part of it - and I know Hall is divisive on here at times - but this is exactly the sort of stuff that we need out of others in our backline. It's not sustainable to have only Hall with vision and run out of there. Stephenson has some as well but he is defensively very vulnerable. Once there are more players than Hall we become much more unpredictable to opponents.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best part of it - and I know Hall is divisive on here at times - but this is exactly the sort of stuff that we need out of others in our backline. It's not sustainable to have only Hall with vision and run out of there. Stephenson has some as well but he is defensively very vulnerable. Once there are more players than Hall we become much more unpredictable to opponents.
100%.

Back