Senior 42. Mark O'Connor (2017 -)

Doctor Gero i noticed you indicated that Shifter Sheehan had to words to say about young O'Conner, what exactly were they?
I can't remember a lot. But I do remember him talking about that he had a gruelling session with Scarlett and Rahilly and they were surprised at how quickly he was learning the skills with the sherrin, impressed by how good his skills were for someone who'd only just begun to learn the game.

Went on to talk about how good his endurance time trial was despite being crook on the day. Then about how impressive he was at marking the ball, always took it at the highest point. Lastly it was Geelong the city that won him over, from a town with inly 2000 people he liked the quieter lifestyle and was glad to get out of the traffic of Melbourne.

Probably said more than that but I can't remember any more.

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
He looks and sounds like a good prospect will have plenty of work to do but will be exciting to see him develop.
Interestingly Tuohy was on put Carlton's rookie list in 2010 then debuted in the afl side in 2011. I could have that wrong but that's what I read. That's a pretty quick turn around although obviously not as good a team. Be interesting to know how far Tuohy was at when he started compared to O'Connor.

I think Tuohy will be a great help to O'Connor (with adapting to life in Australia and also picking up the nuances of Aussie Rules) given his experience as one of three Irish recruits at Carlton!!!

Of the three Irish recruits that were at Carlton, Sheehan (year or so older than Tuohy and very solidly built) was first to come over but returned to Ireland soon after due to homesickness; Sheehan returned to Carlton a few years later, but despite a very promising debut has missed the last two years due to on-going injuries! Byrne (youngest of the three) came out more recently and has shown a fair bit, but again, injury struck in the form of an ACL earlier this year! In my opinion, three potentially very talented footballers - difference was Tuohy stayed the course, didn't get injured, and really came on pretty quickly and has of course been living out that early potential over the last 4-5 years, with better to come I suspect. Tuohy has great durability!!!!!!!

PS Wishing Zach all the best at the Cats in 2017 and beyond and from a Carlton perspective hoping Sheehan and Byrne put their injury woes behind them and have a good year in 2017 with Carlton. Hanley can't keep taking all the press as far as Irish recruits go.

Last edited:

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm usually wrong about most things, but I think we could have a pretty good player here eventually. I just hope we have the required patience to allow him to develop properly. He looks like he has massive potential. Will be exciting to watch.
We will nurture him. Develop him. Nurse him through a few injuries....then trade him for pick 95. :p

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like the kid can mark the ball pretty well, good agility and speed, and apparently good tank on him, decent size at 188-189cm... might be an interesting prospect if he can adapt to the oval footy!

Mark O'Connor (Dingle/Kerry Ireland)

Born: 17.1.97

Height: 189cm

Weight: 82kg

AFL bio: Medium forward-midfielder from Ireland who is one of the brightest prospects in the Gaelic football. Has an outstanding work rate, elite endurance and is composed with the football making great decisions. Strong overhead mark using his natural leap and clean hands in winning the ball. Played in four All-Ireland finals at school and under-18 level in last two years winning all four championships and best player in three of them.

Not a bad resume for the kid.

Mark O'Connor (Dingle/Kerry Ireland)

Born: 17.1.97

Height: 189cm

Weight: 82kg

AFL bio: Medium forward-midfielder from Ireland who is one of the brightest prospects in the Gaelic football. Has an outstanding work rate, elite endurance and is composed with the football making great decisions. Strong overhead mark using his natural leap and clean hands in winning the ball. Played in four All-Ireland finals at school and under-18 level in last two years winning all four championships and best player in three of them.

Not a bad resume for the kid.
Wow, sounds like Ablett Jnr.

Ah, so we've found our mystery mid then? ;)
giphy.gif

I dunno, I reckon Jock Cornell could be the greatest ever!
Oh he's delisted? Good, was a complete spud.
I was surprised he was delisted to be honest... and Cowan still plodding away undeservedly in the ones.

Back