Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

His defensive deficiency got exposed a few times today . He will get better with experience but he has to cut out a bit of the ball watching. Good thing is when he makes an error he makes two or three efforts to try and fix it.

His defensive deficiency got exposed a few times today . He will get better with experience but he has to cut out a bit of the ball watching. Good thing is when he makes an error he makes two or three efforts to try and fix it.

Bit of faith put in him to play on McCarthy whose nearly as dangerous as Cameron. Would have thought McGrath was the match up after Kelly went to Cameron.

No Redman today was always going to be an issue for the backline IMO.

Young defender Massimo D’Ambrosio will be given the rest of this week to be available for Essendon’s Sunday afternoon clash with Gold Coast.

D’Ambrosio was subbed off in the third quarter of Essendon’s win over Brisbane after suffering a corked left quad.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said the 19-year-old will use Friday’s main session to prove his fitness.

“That quad cork is decent, so we’ll use the week to see how that pans out and assess his availability,” Murphy said.

“Every day it’s progressing and hopefully by the end of the week he’s up and training, but he’ll be a test this week.”

Ambrosio playing forward in the VFL. I'm wondering where the line is between increasing his versatility and stifling his development. I think he might have played forward before, maybe they just want a look at him there.

Unless they see his tackle pressure as something to add to the forward line, plus his disposal hitting up leading forwards.

Anybody who comes in here and complains about getting a contact injury in the twos needs to get a grip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened? How did he play today?
Played half forward, was okay without being great. Copped a knock to the shoulder in the last quarter and went off injured.

Played half forward, was okay without being great. Copped a knock to the shoulder in the last quarter and went off injured.
ah, the ole Essendon development track.
show early signs in a position, play them elsewhere

doesn't strike me as the type to have the leading patterns or tackling for HF.
Read of the game ahead of him, pressure & his disposal under pressure (or not) out of HB is a weapon.

ah, the ole Essendon development track.
show early signs in a position, play them elsewhere

doesn't strike me as the type to have the leading patterns or tackling for HF.
Read of the game ahead of him, pressure & his disposal under pressure (or not) out of HB is a weapon.
Many, many clubs put young players all over the field whilst they're developing so they can develop a more rounded game. I think playing him half forward is to help develop the tackling pressure he lacks.

Many, many clubs put young players all over the field whilst they're developing so they can develop a more rounded game. I think playing him half forward is to help develop the tackling pressure he lacks.
I like that he's less about tackling and more about disrupting the ball. It's very Richmond. Pressure through presence, don't allow the clean disposal, swoop on it and get the run going when it spills out.

we're better with the chaos spillage out of defence than defending a stoppage.

No mention in the injury update and isn't on the injury list, so it's pretty obvious he's dead.

I’m abit out of the loop here..injured? was he dropped and semi rested on limited game time in the 2s? Or just dropped?

I’m abit out of the loop here..injured? was he dropped and semi rested on limited game time in the 2s? Or just dropped?

I'm assuming the plan was to play a full game, until the below;

I can see why they're trying him across half forward. His kicking inside 50 is a serious weapon. Pretty decent mark for his size, and he is starting to tackle more (only 2 today but was still pretty good).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back