Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
Seriously disappointed for Robbie. A very solid citizen, and at 27 at his peak.
Along with Thurlow's delisting it seemed very odd. Then I did a team selection exercise. Bear in mind we had already traded Aliir and delisted Stoddart and Reynolds. The important thing is numbers, not positions.
Seniors
Cunningham Rampe Lloyd
Mills McCartin Dawson I/c Melican
Ressies
O'Riordan Brand Ling
Gould O'Connor Campbell
So the big question is where do the 5 defenders traded or delisted fit in that picture? Of course it can be argued that McCartin and Dawson, even Mills, could be better used elsewhere, but it seems to me this is where the club intends to use them.
With a 37 man list, we need two team's worth of any position.
So we had too many defenders on our list.
NOW ask the hard question. WHY?

Seriously disappointed for Robbie. A very solid citizen, and at 27 at his peak.
Along with Thurlow's delisting it seemed very odd. Then I did a team selection exercise. Bear in mind we had already traded Aliir and delisted Stoddart and Reynolds. The important thing is numbers, not positions.
Seniors
Cunningham Rampe Lloyd
Mills McCartin Dawson I/c Melican
Ressies
O'Riordan Brand Ling
Gould O'Connor Campbell
So the big question is where do the 5 defenders traded or delisted fit in that picture? Of course it can be argued that McCartin and Dawson, even Mills, could be better used elsewhere, but it seems to me this is where the club intends to use them.
With a 37 man list, we need two team's worth of any position.
So we had too many defenders on our list.
NOW ask the hard question. WHY?
If you enjoyed my little rant I'll offer a possible answer to WHY?
Cunningham, Lloyd, Mills, McCartin and Dawson were all recruited into other positions and, like the fabled Teddy Richards of old, have ended up as bloody good defenders.
So this very difficult delisting is a direct result of the normal process of fitting together an effective team.
This may explain why we were not desperate to hang onto Aliir.
Gee it's a tough old game.

A shame. Thought he was cementing himself as a reliable cog in the back six. At the very least good cover. Don't know why you'd be rookie-ing gray over fox. Has shown a lot more.

Because Gray has a contract for 2021 and we are merely shifting him from the main list to the rookie list to allow senior list space.

All the best to Fox, he always gave his all for the club.

I am personally not that surprised. I thought the club might try and shift him to the rookie list but with Gray already being pushed into that spot it probably didn’t leave that option available.

A good honest solider that imo would struggle to be best 22 and given he is 27 and we are a developing, it’s not particularly surprising to me.

Good luck to him.

All the best to Fox, he always gave his all for the club.

I am personally not that surprised. I thought the club might try and shift him to the rookie list but with Gray already being pushed into that spot it probably didn’t leave that option available.

A good honest solider that imo would struggle to be best 22 and given he is 27 and we are a developing, it’s not particularly surprising to me.

Good luck to him.
Honestly Mase, you need to cut it out with all these logical and strategically thought out arguments. It doesn't play well here.

Bizarre call. Why on earth get rid of Thurlow and now Fox in light of the Aliir trade? Tell you what I'm not a fan of this Charlie Gardiner prick at all, even seems like a douche. Not someone the Swans need. This trade period could really haunt us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizarre call. Why on earth get rid of Thurlow and now Fox in light of the Aliir trade? Tell you what I'm not a fan of this Charlie Gardiner prick at all, even seems like a douche. Not someone the Swans need. This trade period could really haunt us.
Thurlow had his chance.. good kick, good size, but to me always seemed more interested in a Sunshine Coast lifestyle.
Allir was traded.. As a pre-agent, we got the best value we could. He may do well (consistently) at Port, or he may continue to only show brilliant glimpses. bummer, I was a fan, but that's what happens
Fox's attitude / work ethic, was excellent. We've seen the best of him which was only ever going to be good depth.

The last three years the Swans have turned over 9-10 players.. Its a Re-build! Ling, Gould, O'Connor, Brand are all better options for that spot going forward in defense.. and there's plenty of better options (options with a much higher ceiling) at half-forward.

Tough but I reckon a good call by Gardiner (and others involved in that decision)

Are you suggesting that the rest of the swans management and coaching staff woke up in the morning to the same news that Fox was delisted and thought "WFT has Charlie done now?!? I wish he would at least tell us first!". Or would you rather apply Occam's Razor and assume that it was a COLLECTIVE decision brought about by a reduction in list sizes?
Anyway, we really need to focus everything on Gardiner because he would have been responsible for everything.

Are you suggesting that the rest of the swans management and coaching staff woke up in the morning to the same news that Fox was delisted and thought "WFT has Charlie done now?!? I wish he would at least tell us first!". Or would you rather apply Occam's Razor and assume that it was a COLLECTIVE decision brought about by a reduction in list sizes?
Anyway, we really need to focus everything on Gardiner because he would have been responsible for everything.
Charlie Gardiner is a Machiavellian despot with mind control powers over the entire coaching and recruiting staff. It can be the only answer!

Charlie Gardiner is a Machiavellian despot with mind control powers over the entire coaching and recruiting staff. It can be the only answer!
Oooohhhkkaaayyyy thennn....

I’d say fox will get a rookie spot.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd love it but I don't think he will. After the big defender "cleanout" we will have about the right number. The ones remaining are guns or with a different skill set. If he had a year to run on his contract they might have done it. So not impossible IMO but unlikely.

Thurlow had his chance.. good kick, good size, but to me always seemed more interested in a Sunshine Coast lifestyle.
Allir was traded.. As a pre-agent, we got the best value we could. He may do well (consistently) at Port, or he may continue to only show brilliant glimpses. bummer, I was a fan, but that's what happens
Fox's attitude / work ethic, was excellent. We've seen the best of him which was only ever going to be good depth.

The last three years the Swans have turned over 9-10 players.. Its a Re-build! Ling, Gould, O'Connor, Brand are all better options for that spot going forward in defense.. and there's plenty of better options (options with a much higher ceiling) at half-forward.

Tough but I reckon a good call by Gardiner (and others involved in that decision)
How can you possibly say Gould, Brand and O'Conner are better options than Fox given there is 1, maybe 2 games between them?
Aside from Fox having a great year down back, the message it sends to fringe or project players in the club is diabolical.
I'd have kept Fox on both his form, and his flexibility - able to come in and provide a solid game in multiple positions.
If we aren't stashing some salary of his on a rookie list you'd think the likes of GC should snap him up.

What’s the shock he’s an ordinary footy player and close to 30 , won’t get any better. I wish him all the best. But he is average

I mean just a shame others duds like Clarke Reid and COR seem to remain on the list but making some progress at least chopping dead wood
Why have you got that dead :poo: on your avatar?:sick:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back