Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
How are you feeling about this prediction Tedeski? I note a couple of the VFL watchers in this thread rated him, so he should acquit himself well tonight at the very least.

He has footy smarts & is mature enough to apply it to our game plan. Here is his opportunity to have an impact & make a name for himself among the playing group.
The harder Rampe has worked, the luckier he has been!
Up until last week anyhow!
Robbie Fox will have a crack!

He should be given the rest of the season in the midfield. He is fit, mature bodied & can play. I have him well ahead of most in footy smarts too.
Just put him in the seniors & leave him there.

yep agree as well, I think he has all of the tools to be a handy player and hasn't been found wanting at senior level

doesn't seem to be in the coaches good books though as is always first man dropped

yep agree as well, I think he has all of the tools to be a handy player and hasn't been found wanting at senior level

doesn't seem to be in the coaches good books though as is always first man dropped
Well he has no pressure on his spot should he get named & then perform well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team appears to be constantly picked as if there’s no pressure on anyone in my opinion. Not including this year, how often have a few been carried? Positional depth may be the culprit except for the backline of course...everyone’s played there!

He's 26, just the age group we're crying out for... He's thought of as having footy nous, which we are chronically in need of, and appears to have a cool head. So why is he only getting cameos now and then? 13 games since 2017, so what 13/50 possibles? Why do you reckon that is? Kiama Chris, I'd be interested in your opinion if you've time...

That's not the issue, its the sticking with him when he has a down game (which he will), instead of banishing him back to the NEAFL every time

Watched most of the reserves game on the weekend, always looks calm and generally spot on with decision making.
As others have said, a utility type who can play in a few spots, should be an automatic selection at the moment.
Based on what he did on the weekend, extremely hard to argue but if you watch his interview, he admits he’s been out of form, had a midweek chat and got back to basics. Would I like him in the team? Yep! Will it be this week? I don’t know. Why? Because he got 37 possessions and 3 goals for one week in a row and maybe he should go out there and have another solid game.

MO's point about repetition of good form in the Ressies is sensible. However, it seems some are promoted without showing good form and its repetition in the 2s.
It’s called privilege and nobody should have it in any playing group in my opinion, but yes it happens!

It’s called privilege and nobody should have it in any playing group in my opinion, but yes it happens!

Agreed. Privilege is corrosive in any organisation, let alone a sporting one. A couple of BF Board members have outlined the problems at TAC level clubs.

It was interesting to observe Adelaide. They recently dropped Gibbs and Jenkin. The former took it on the chin and is back, the latter publicly aired how cranky he was when told by their coach.

That's not the issue, its the sticking with him when he has a down game (which he will), instead of banishing him back to the NEAFL every time

Easy task for him then!
Don't have a down game first or second up. Put a consistent patch of games together because let's face it, Fox is perhaps on his last chance at AFL.

MO's point about repetition of good form in the Ressies is sensible. However, it seems some are promoted without showing good form and its repetition in the 2s.
Fox was recruited as a mature age rookie. That means he has been passed over by every club in both drafts for 3 or 4 seasons before we gave him a lifeline. Therefore he would have been under no illusions as to what would have been required to become a regular senior AFL footballer. I like him & really hope he grabs his next chance & works hard both ways, as he did in the NEAFL the other day. Being one of the more mature bodies in the team, we really need him to offer more than a Kieran Jack should he be given the nod ahead of Kizza. Hayward will always be given a go ahead of Fox though because he is young & is definitely part of our future. But should he put together a string of poor games, he too will have to work on it at the lower level.

Fox was recruited as a mature age rookie. That means he has been passed over by every club in both drafts for 3 or 4 seasons before we gave him a lifeline. Therefore he would have been under no illusions as to what would have been required to become a regular senior AFL footballer. I like him & really hope he grabs his next chance & works hard both ways, as he did in the NEAFL the other day. Being one of the more mature bodies in the team, we really need him to offer more than a Kieran Jack should he be given the nod ahead of Kizza. Hayward will always be given a go ahead of Fox though because he is young & is definitely part of our future. But should he put together a string of poor games, he too will have to work on it at the lower level.

Fox works hard. Was one of the better runners, if not our best, in the pre-season.

Comes from Tassie and did not get the development others on the mainland got. Got picked up by Coburg and told he had a chance of making an AFL list if he knuckled down. He has. Also is a bit of a toughie who wont tolerate his team mates being bullied. Every team team needs one or two players like Fox.

Fox works hard. Was one of the better runners, if not our best, in the pre-season.

Comes from Tassie and did not get the development others on the mainland got. Got picked up by Coburg and told he had a chance of making an AFL list if he knuckled down. He has. Also is a bit of a toughie who wont tolerate his team mates being bullied. Every team team needs one or two players like Fox.
I trust him to nail this next opportunity.
I'm hoping anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back