Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
Maybe, but hopefully the club give him a few games in a row now to see what he can ofer
Good luck to him. Just can't see how he'd fit into our plans going forward, could he possibly play as a tagger and release Hewett in the middle?

With Towers getting axed last year the writing could be on the wall for mature aged fringe players.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Very pleased to see Fox finally get a sustained run in the seniors as a defender. It's where he's always shown his best form, he just needed a stretch of games to show it. Great leap, speed, strong for his size and versatile enough to play big, medium and small. Despite how in and out of the side he's been, I think he's a very trustworthy player and would be re-signing him beyond this year without question.

Very pleased to see Fox finally get a sustained run in the seniors as a defender. It's where he's always shown his best form, he just needed a stretch of games to show it. Great leap, speed, strong for his size and versatile enough to play big, medium and small. Despite how in and out of the side he's been, I think he's a very trustworthy player and would be re-signing him beyond this year without question.

Has never done much wrong, just hasn't impacted much when he's played. Last month or so he's actually asserting himself on the game a bit more which is great to see.

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
He made two or three gutsy runs from the back half where he literally slalomed his way through the Hawks like they were not even there. And they didn't lay a glove on him. And then came the crucial spoil at the end of the game.

Not only is he no mug as a footballer but he also appears to have a few strings to his bow. I for one will be rooting for him to stay in the 22.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Fox has some serious toe. At 3:12 left on the game clock in Q4 against the Hawks. Josh Morris (speedster) breaks free with nothing between him and the Hawks goals. Lloyd can't go with him so Fox leaves his own man (Gunston), runs down Morris and makes the contest, saving the goal. Fox can be seen stretching after that run so he was probably cramping up.

By all accounts Fox works just as hard off the field to get the best out of himself. He typifies the Bloods' spirit. I wonder if has hasn't decided to emulate the Great Dane. He and Rampe both play huge on-field time (100% & 99%), both play on much bigger players, both are good in the air, fast, hard at the contest, desperate and preprared to take the game on.

We used to get glimpses of Fox's potential. His high marks, his accurate disposal, his physicality and his run down pace, but now we're seeing a more confident Fox, stteled down back, attacking and backing himself to break the lines. Fox has played 11 of the last 14 games. I think he can become a big part of our back 6.

Rampe was 22 when he debuted and immediately cemented a spot in the 22, in a settled defence. Fox was 23 but he's played the 11 of the last 14 games and will be 27 at the start of season 2021. Plenty of time for the boy from Burnie to add polish to his role of Robin to Rampe's Batman.

still not convinced , short term he has been solid, he tries hard, but wouldnt see him part of a good side.
bit undersized, lucky melican is awful/injured and brands hurt

but he is tasmanian so might last, prefer him to COR,

still not convinced , short term he has been solid, he tries hard, but wouldnt see him part of a good side.
bit undersized, lucky melican is awful/injured and brands hurt

but he is tasmanian so might last, prefer him to COR,

Think it's a mental thing with Fox. He seems to be intentionally playing differently to in years past. I'd narrow that mental switch to three possible reasons:

1. He's just finally confident in himself. Fourth year on the list, 27 years old. Always played a bit conservatively like he was scared to do anything wrong, and it meant he often had little impact on the game. Maybe it's finally clicked for him that he's on an AFL list and in the 22 for a reason, so he has more belief.

2. He could be aware of the fact that he is on the chopping block come season's end. Has played like his career depends on it this year, so perhaps he's realised you can't just plod along being just an OK player and expect to stay a footballer for years.

3. This one I think is most likely... He could be very suited to the way we are playing. In the NEAFL he's been dominant at breaking lines and creating attacking plays, but hasn't had those kinds of roles in the senior side over the years, nor has our brand of footy accommodated that, especially in 2017 and 2018. He's now in a team that's being encouraged to take the game on, and it's really suited to a strong experienced bloke like Fox who is one of the fittest at the club.

Tbh, I think it's a combination of all of the above. He's got a lot going for him right now, he's just gotta keep working hard and performing, and who knows, this level of output might become so familiar to him that he just doesn't look back.

Think it's a mental thing with Fox. He seems to be intentionally playing differently to in years past. I'd narrow that mental switch to three possible reasons:

1. He's just finally confident in himself. Fourth year on the list, 27 years old. Always played a bit conservatively like he was scared to do anything wrong, and it meant he often had little impact on the game. Maybe it's finally clicked for him that he's on an AFL list and in the 22 for a reason, so he has more belief.

2. He could be aware of the fact that he is on the chopping block come season's end. Has played like his career depends on it this year, so perhaps he's realised you can't just plod along being just an OK player and expect to stay a footballer for years.

3. This one I think is most likely... He could be very suited to the way we are playing. In the NEAFL he's been dominant at breaking lines and creating attacking plays, but hasn't had those kinds of roles in the senior side over the years, nor has our brand of footy accommodated that, especially in 2017 and 2018. He's now in a team that's being encouraged to take the game on, and it's really suited to a strong experienced bloke like Fox who is one of the fittest at the club.

Tbh, I think it's a combination of all of the above. He's got a lot going for him right now, he's just gotta keep working hard and performing, and who knows, this level of output might become so familiar to him that he just doesn't look back.

I think he has done a good job for a few weeks , if it keeps it going all season he would be hard to discard

but I just don’t see him long term being there when the chips are down as someone reliable
Reminds me a bit of XR having that little run in 2016

Back