Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about a baptism of fire, Ryan handled himself extremely well considering the huge task.
I would be lying if I wasn't concerned about leaving him on Hawkins anyway he will be better for the experience.

I seem to remember Grimey making his debut on Franklin. That worked out okay so far.

If

I'd be more inclined to have Broad move up to play in McIntosh's position, drop McIntosh to find some form in the VFL, and keep Garth in for a little while.

In saying that, he'll probably be the one who makes way for Astbury. McIntosh is extremely lucky to have played every game this year.

McIntosh was mediocre again and really needs to go back to the Twos.

I seem to remember Grimey making his debut on Franklin. That worked out okay so far.

Played his first game against Port Adelaide.
Grimes played on Buddy in game number two when Rance and McGuane were out suspended.
Ddn't hurt that Buddy booted five and had 22 possessions.

we cant play both unless 1 goes forward, would.like to see Garth at CHF
Is garthwaite staying in the side at the expense of Ashbury the only option?
He moves better than astbury and is a quicker thinker in moving the ball on from a contest
Astbury has him covered in one on one marking contests
His kicking action is awkward but effective and gets to its intended target at a faster rate than astbury..... who woul give griggy a good run in a kick floater competition

Garth is a genuine talk and at best we only play 5 including a ruck.

Nank, Jack, Rance, Astbury and possibly a 2nd tall, Grimes is considered a medium

so one of Astbury or Garth play 2nd fwd or VFL...

Here's a thought, could Grimes or Vlastuin play Wing and allow Garth as 3rd tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garth is a genuine talk and at best we only play 5 including a ruck.

Nank, Jack, Rance, Astbury and possibly a 2nd tall, Grimes is considered a medium

so one of Astbury or Garth play 2nd fwd or VFL...

Here's a thought, could Grimes or Vlastuin play Wing and allow Garth as 3rd tall.
We've got the best backline in the league by some margin. The only way any of them will play forward is if one gets switched mid game like Vlastuin against St.Kilda.

Grimes should never, ever be moved.

I wonder why Garth slipped in the draft.
IIRC he was a GWS zone player as well
They wanted him, but had others they wanted ahead of him.
GWS would have taken him, but he slipped.

The only one who spotted it...as much as it pains me to say it...was Lyon.
I hate giving that tosser any credit but if I’m honest I actually didn’t mind his call of the game on Sunday. It was the clowns around him that annoyed the crap out of me.

They wanted him, but had others they wanted ahead of him.
GWS would have taken him, but he slipped.

I think it was a moneyball type situation where clubs were put off by his kicking action
It’s non traditional but if it works who cares

Maybe the funny kicking action?

It’s a little awkward. Less awkward than Trengove for the doggies which is atrocious. Just got to know his limitations with his field kicking and play within them. If he does that he’ll be fine I reckon.

It’s a little awkward. Less awkward than Trengove for the doggies which is atrocious. Just got to know his limitations with his field kicking and play within them. If he does that he’ll be fine I reckon.
Yep. By all accounts he's a pretty accurate kick, but just looks odd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back