Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

If

I'd be more inclined to have Broad move up to play in McIntosh's position, drop McIntosh to find some form in the VFL, and keep Garth in for a little while.

In saying that, he'll probably be the one who makes way for Astbury. McIntosh is extremely lucky to have played every game this year.
I mentioned this in another thread before Garthwaite even debuted.

If we want to keep a tall hard at it wingman in the team then drop the horribly out of form McIntosh place Broad on the wing and play Garthwaite as the third tall.

It was a good day for a defender to make his debut those conditions were all in favour of the defenders.Saying that he did enough to keep his spot and it is time we put games into our taller players especially potential future kpp's.

Personally id like to see Lambert on one wing and Grigg on the other and just drop the badly out of form McIntosh.
I really think the club has not used McIntosh right and have tended to find a role rather than play him in the role that best suits him. Imo they shoiuld have had him play across h/b as a third tall rebounding defender but they have hardly ever tried this.Anyway hes now been usurped in that job by Broad.

My biggest concerns with this bloke atm are many. He is not getting any ball in this hes generally struggled right throughout. He hardly ever wins a contested ball, he doesnt take any high marks or very few, He constantly fumbles, far too often uses the ball by foot poorly and finally he is non existent almost invisible for big chunks of games far too often.
Shuffle it around and give Garthwaite another crack at it and just move Broad up the ground.

If we want to keep a tall hard at it wingman in the team then drop the horribly out of form McIntosh place Broad on the wing and play Garthwaite as the third tall.

It was a good day for a defender to make his debut those conditions were all in favour of the defenders.Saying that he did enough to keep his spot and it is time we put games into our taller players especially potential future kpp's.

Personally id like to see Lambert on one wing and Grigg on the other and just drop the badly out of form McIntosh.
I really think the club has not used McIntosh right and have tended to find a role rather than play him in the role that best suits him. Imo they shoiuld have had him play across h/b as a third tall rebounding defender but they have hardly ever tried this.Anyway hes now been usurped in that job by Broad.

My biggest concerns with this bloke atm are many. He is not getting any ball in this hes generally struggled right throughout. He hardly ever wins a contested ball, he doesnt take any high marks or very few, He constantly fumbles, far too often uses the ball by foot poorly and finally he is non existent almost invisible for big chunks of games far too often.
Shuffle it around and give Garthwaite another crack at it and just move Broad up the ground.
One of your best posts.
Completely agree.

I said this in the Autopsy thread, I think Kamdyn’s ability to run between the 50 meter arcs, especially working back towards D50 and helping out our backs in numbers largely goes unnoticed and unheralded.

That said, he was poor against the cats. Low numbers, poor disposal, but for mine what was more of a crime was the 3 or 4 times he needed to stick a tackle, but didn’t. Those are killers when your mantra as a team is high pressure and tough, contested footy.

I’d bring in Houli to play his role if fully fit. Although an interesting suggestion re: Broad which I could see working. For memory he played some wing in WA in the lead up to his draft year - which obviously led to him
Getting drafted.

My concern is that Broad has been his most effective defensively on the long running medium forwards such as Tom Lynch from Adelaide. Does Garthwaite have the motor to be able to play the same role effectively? Alternatively does Grimes and Garth can play on the smalls?

Btw, not trying to negate your suggestion, because I do think it’s intriguing and at the very least should be an option for the club moving forward.

Apologies if this is mentioned earlier but I couldn't find it - in his presser Dimma mentioned we'd extended Garthwaite earlier this year, but I couldn't find any details on it. Great news if true based on Sunday!

Yep. Don't really need to add anything to this. He really needs a spell. I think Broad could easily cover his spot. He's got the size, strength and a good tank, but is a better mark and kick.

Pretty hard to find a reason to not drop him.

Is garthwaite staying in the side at the expense of Ashbury the only option?
He moves better than astbury and is a quicker thinker in moving the ball on from a contest
Astbury has him covered in one on one marking contests
His kicking action is awkward but effective and gets to its intended target at a faster rate than astbury..... who woul give griggy a good run in a kick floater competition

I'd say no, but a lot of posters seem to have this fascination that only certain players can replace certain players.
Garthwaite can only replace Astbury; Miles can only play in place of Prestia; Stengle can only replace Butler or Castagna; we have to find a replacement for Grigg; etc. I doubt we are so one dimensional.
If you have confidence in the game plan, one extra tall, one extra small, or one extra mid will make a difference. Ultimately you want your best 22 playing.

If there was any q over Macca spot in the side and their should be then Moore should be given first crack at it , great mark and agility has tools to be a weapon in midfield . Garth is a clutch mark and defender , not the last bloke I’d consider for wing not the first either , was wrong footed a couple of times early on , was ok after that , will be better for the run and will hold those. Marks next time

Garth will be lucky to hold his spot as like all young key position players they only get a crack when senior players are missing. Astbury's back so he will probably make way. He did a good job, particularly as a first game player and did not look out of place. Great. But he can go back and work on his game at VFL, he is only 19 years old and can work on his offensive side so then he can also replace Broad/Grimes/Rance when the time comes.

Garth reminds me of a Rance/Astbury hybrid. I think I've read or heard some calling him an Astbury clone but from all reports he is super competitive like Rance (just see his desperation to try and save the goal on the weekend). Not a bad combination to be.

Hopefully won't have the issue problems Astbury had early days and he's our next KPD in waiting to step up when Rance/Astbury/Grimes/Broad are unavailable. Only his second season so plenty of learning still to come and growing into his frame a bit more. Hearing him speak about representing the club too fills me with confidence that he isn't interested in being anywhere else other than Tigerland - even if he has to bide his time a bit.

Truly blessed with some good depth and young exciting prospects and Garthwaite is definitely another one to add to that list. :thumbsu:

Garth will be lucky to hold his spot as like all young key position players they only get a crack when senior players are missing. Astbury's back so he will probably make way. He did a good job, particularly as a first game player and did not look out of place. Great. But he can go back and work on his game at VFL, he is only 19 years old and can work on his offensive side so then he can also replace Broad/Grimes/Rance when the time comes.
Should be considered in place of Broad when we play likes of wc , hope he goes back and burns it up at vfl , seems like a really popular decent kid

Hey team, having known Garthy when developing and 'tied' to GWS, and i know he would agree??? Its been a ''godsend'' that he was spotted and ended up at Richmond and the strong, passionate and 'pure' love of our game that exists in the southern states, and being closer to home from PR than the ''clammy'' existence for a country boy in western sydney. He still would have given everything he had to make it, as he has with the tigers, but i doubt the 'mateship' that has reared up at our ripping club over the last 18 months, would have 'ever' evolved at the Giants! and i 'reckon' this is helping him to find the 'ultimate top level' which he still has a bit to go, but will ''definatly'' achieve at this mighty club in the next 18 months. On his kicking style, he developed this from kicking ''lots'' of long accurate goals as a junior from CHF, and 'FEV' suggested the lower on one side hand drop which worked so well his accuracy in goal kicking was unbelievable in 2013 and 2014. Put Josh Kennedy in the backline and he too would look weird kicking in!!! Cheers, Go Tigers 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey team, having known Garthy when developing and 'tied' to GWS, and i know he would agree??? Its been a ''godsend'' that he was spotted and ended up at Richmond and the strong, passionate and 'pure' love of our game that exists in the southern states, and being closer to home from PR than the ''clammy'' existence for a country boy in western sydney. He still would have given everything he had to make it, as he has with the tigers, but i doubt the 'mateship' that has reared up at our ripping club over the last 18 months, would have 'ever' evolved at the Giants! and i 'reckon' this is helping him to find the 'ultimate top level' which he still has a bit to go, but will ''definatly'' achieve at this mighty club in the next 18 months. On his kicking style, he developed this from kicking ''lots'' of long accurate goals as a junior from CHF, and 'FEV' suggested the lower on one side hand drop which worked so well his accuracy in goal kicking was unbelievable in 2013 and 2014. Put Josh Kennedy in the backline and he too would look weird kicking in!!! Cheers, Go Tigers 2018.
Cheers for the update , I noticed all The well wishes for Garth , not sure I’ve ever seen such a popular debut , there was a lot of love in the house

Should be considered in place of Broad when we play likes of wc , hope he goes back and burns it up at vfl , seems like a really popular decent kid
Possibly to come in for players like Darling. Broad is much more a running half back with good height to spoil. I guess he could go to the wing in certain circumstances.

I know we say Grimes can play tall or short, but I reckon its been a while since I've seen him mind an oppo tall. He is quick and our best at handling small zippy forwards.
I'm leaning towards giving Garth another game - he and Astbury take the 2 main tall forwards and Rance on the third string tall (or medium). Broad moves up to K-Mac's position who practices sticky fingers and finding some sort of beast mode in the twos.
Plenty of flexibility there. Could even trial any of Rance/Grimes/Short/Vlas up the ground to * with the oppo coach.

I seem to remember Grimey making his debut on Franklin. That worked out okay so far.
Nah grimeys first game was ben cousins last at etihad against port
Round 22 - 2010,, the day knighta got sacked from essendon

Possibly to come in for players like Darling. Broad is much more a running half back with good height to spoil. I guess he could go to the wing in certain circumstances.
Been a tad disappointed in broady hasn’t come on from last year , yep competes well , too many of his kicks are hack blasts out of congestion , in a top side HB need a trick or two more than that , hope he kicks on or alternately Garth potentially gets a run , markov too

I'd say no, but a lot of posters seem to have this fascination that only certain players can replace certain players.
Garthwaite can only replace Astbury; Miles can only play in place of Prestia; Stengle can only replace Butler or Castagna; we have to find a replacement for Grigg; etc. I doubt we are so one dimensional.
If you have confidence in the game plan, one extra tall, one extra small, or one extra mid will make a difference. Ultimately you want your best 22 playing.

wrong, you have the best team balance you can get, unless you are that good ie dangerfield, dusty or Ablett and can play anywhere.

if your the 4th best mid or tall and cant play anywhere else then you wait for injury or form lapse.

Astbury and Garth cant play wing and Miles cant play fwd or back and Prestia cant play back pocket so your your best 22 on paper argument is flawed.

Last edited:
If there was any q over Macca spot in the side and their should be then Moore should be given first crack at it , great mark and agility has tools to be a weapon in midfield . Garth is a clutch mark and defender , not the last bloke I’d consider for wing not the first either , was wrong footed a couple of times early on , was ok after that , will be better for the run and will hold those. Marks next time

Moore doesn't gave the stamina or the kicking skills for wing

wing is a midfield role it takes years to develop that running power unless you are an elite athlete, Moore is a speedy, athletic tall who is a poor kick at goal and hadn't shown a lot of anything else that suggests he can play wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back