Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Already a good quality AFL KPB. Obvious replacement for Astbury. He's a got few years waiting for some of the best tall backs in the game to finish their careers. But damn he's quality.

Reckon other clubs could come knocking. Hopefully we keep him. Amazing pick up at 72!! :thumbsu:

He looks to have developed a lot in just 9 weeks.

I thought he looked fine against Geelong without doing anything noticeable. But on Friday night, I was really impressed with him. He did some really nice work in contested situations that might have gone unnoticed by a lot of people and didn’t look shaky/afraid at all with the ball. Seemed to make the correct decision when he had it.

Is clearly going to be good enough to play regular KPD in the AFL and soon too.

I just hope someone can teach him how to drop the ball onto his boot properly...

He looks to have developed a lot in just 9 weeks.
I thought he looked fine against Geelong without doing anything noticeable. But on Friday night, I was really impressed with him. He did some really nice work in contested situations that might have gone unnoticed by a lot of people and didn’t look shaky/afraid at all with the ball. Seemed to make the correct decision when he had it.Is clearly going to be good enough to play regular KPD in the AFL and soon too.
I just hope someone can teach him how to drop the ball onto his boot properly...
The magic will be gone once that happens...he's an original! :thumbsu:

Gidday Vassp, also TI,T4L and TJ. I would like all your opinions-if you look at the start of the ESS game as they are lining up in their positions before the start, look closely and when Garth is talking and standing next to Grimesy, note the difference in height? Grimesy is quoted in the record at 193cm, Garthy at 192cm, yet garth is clearly much taller? Also heard from some around the club [still only goss] that he may soon 'pinch hit' in the ruck with Nanks. Surely the 192 is now ''outdated'' if this maybe so. Cheers Team.

I thought there was a chance he may grow more after being drafted, some do and some don't. I'd be surprised if he is shorter than Dylan, although he may appear taller cos he's wider ;) Couldn't view it on video as it doesn't seem to be there....:(

Gidday Vassp, also TI,T4L and TJ. I would like all your opinions-if you look at the start of the ESS game as they are lining up in their positions before the start, look closely and when Garth is talking and standing next to Grimesy, note the difference in height? Grimesy is quoted in the record at 193cm, Garthy at 192cm, yet garth is clearly much taller? Also heard from some around the club [still only goss] that he may soon 'pinch hit' in the ruck with Nanks. Surely the 192 is now ''outdated'' if this maybe so. Cheers Team.
Hi PH I agree he’s definitely taller and I also noticed at one stage of the game that he made a vertical jump as if he was in the ruck. It was at the opposite side of the ground and I caught him coming on the way down , so I’m unsure what the contest was. I remarked to T4L at the time and said wow look at how high Garth got up. I believe it was early in the last. Whatever he does I believe he’s going to be successful at it as he’s showing great maturity at this stage of his career. Had we not had such a potent BL and we were like old Richmond I reckon he probably would have had 25 games under his belt.

I thought there was a chance he may grow more after being drafted, some do and some don't. I'd be surprised if he is shorter than Dylan, although he may appear taller cos he's wider ;) Couldn't view it on video as it doesn't seem to be there....:(

He’s definitely around the 195cm mark. Looks slightly taller than Rance and an inch taller than Grimes in pics.

Makes me nervous some of the players we have on our list who have to wait in the wings. They’ll come from everywhere for them and his position is probably the hardest to break into.
Good luck to the list managers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garthwaite was impressive last night early on he was being directed by Rance to place himself in the correct position, but otherwise got himself into the game

not much is mentioned about Rance's tutoring work done in the D but he is always carefully playing his chess pieces around him.

Garthwaite very courageous young player.

Will be a future lock in our back line.

Rance has played far less for Rance and much more for Richmond this season, like the Jack of the backline.
Staggers me reading where our supporters think he’s had a bit of an off year by his standards, to me he’s never been better.

Thank god we re-signed him earlier in the year or 17 clubs would be coming hard for him.
The best thing is that he has Rance, Grimes & Astbury to learn from.
I think he could come in next year to play Grimes spot with Grimes moving to more of Broads role with Broad dropping out.

Rance has played far less for Rance and much more for Richmond this season, like the Jack of the backline.
Staggers me reading where our supporters think he’s had a bit of an off year by his standards, to me he’s never been better.

I agree. He is taking more aggressive positions and risks because he trust the other boys. It just looks worse when it doesn’t come off because it’s harder to compensate for his aggressive positioning. People remember when it looks bad and not how easy he picks off interceptions because they look so easy.

Thank god we re-signed him earlier in the year or 17 clubs would be coming hard for him.
The best thing is that he has Rance, Grimes & Astbury to learn from.
I think he could come in next year to play Grimes spot with Grimes moving to more of Broads role with Broad dropping out.
I think we have a luxury in that Grimes and Broad (especially this year) have shown they can get down the field and play a more attacking role running down the wings and delivering the ball inside 50. It almost makes me want to role with 3 talls (Astbury, Rance, Garth), then have Broad and Grimes playing small/medium/rebounding roles as well as Vlastuin back as required.

Rance Astbury Garth (all big/strong enough to play tall, but versatile enough to cover smalls/mediums as well)
Grimes Broad (can play tall if desperate, yet fast enough to cover the fastest smalls and damaging enough with the ball coming out of defence)
Vlastuin can play short/medium.

Then you have Rance or Vlas to play loose. We have enough talls that we could throw someone up forward if it suited, then we also have more defensive minded HBF. Would require some reshuffling of the wings, but it would be a pretty solid and versatile line up. All great athletes who can run all day, as well as being able to get to any contest/match up on any forward structure.

Agree with this. He's taking a hell of a lot more risks, so the mistakes look glaringly bad when he does occasionally stuff up. Bit like Manuel Neuer in the goals. Very solid, gets to everything but because he comes 50 yards out of his box to do crazy stuff when he stuffs up he looks like a 4th tier amateur.

I think we have a luxury in that Grimes and Broad (especially this year) have shown they can get down the field and play a more attacking role running down the wings and delivering the ball inside 50. It almost makes me want to role with 3 talls (Astbury, Rance, Garth), then have Broad and Grimes playing small/medium/rebounding roles as well as Vlastuin back as required.

Rance Astbury Garth (all big/strong enough to play tall, but versatile enough to cover smalls/mediums as well)
Grimes Broad (can play tall if desperate, yet fast enough to cover the fastest smalls and damaging enough with the ball coming out of defence)

Then you have Rance or Vlas to play loose. We have enough talls that we could throw someone up forward if it suited, then we also have more defensive minded HBF. Would require some reshuffling of the wings, but it would be a pretty solid and versatile line up. All great athletes who can run all day, as well as being able to get to any contest/match up on any forward structure.
Agree.
Houli may retire this year if we win it so Vlaustin can take his spot with Garth getting into the back rotation that way

Wouldn't mind seeing Garth being in the team a bit with Broad up on the wing maybe.... at least until Bachar retires

Too many quality defenders. It's hard to believe that I'm disagreeing with you .. with my reason being that we have too much talent in that area! If we go your route we end up losing some of the attacking edge. You lose Short/Houli, or Broad who is doing really well.

What a problem, we've got too many quality tall defenders to fit into the team. Plus we've got Miller and Balta coming on. :eek:

I would like to see us rest Rance this weekend and give Garth another go at it.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Would like to see him play a bit forward next year in the 2's.
Good mark, good one on one, accurate goal kicker, huge km's vs Ess.
Could be a Nick Riewoldt type.

"In July of 2016 Garthwaite was officially invited to the forthcoming national draft combine in Melbourne. There he placed equal-first in the clean hands test (handballing) as well as equal-second in the goal-kicking test with a score of 25 out of 30."

Even without Lynch yet, we have an assortment of talls that can play forward with Reiwoldt, Rance, Astbury, Garth, Balta, Chol, Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back