Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree! I didn’t mean it in terms of dropping broad but maybe with Ellis moving into the midfield/wing we could move broad swing broad or even Rance towards half back and have Garth play deep

Would need to still drop someone somwhere on the ground but I can definitely see the coach’s playing with our structures a little more especially with Garth being suitable to play a ruck role if needed like in the JLT last year

I like the creativity multi-role aspect of your post. I guess its wait and see now as to how clubs deal with rules changes and what innovation comes from that.

When did he cement FB/CHB? Reckon it was probably 2014. Whats that, 6 seasons after he was drafted? Some nuance there, granted ie he was tried in so many positions and Garth really is a KPD/F or second tall.

All I'm saying is players ie Garth, Balta, CCJ, Miller just need to bide their time, learn off some of the best in the comp and when its their turn they'll be playing their role in one of the biggest clubs in the comp. I like Garth made the decision to stay on and not jump at other offers. Shows he's made of the right stuff IMO.
In 2014 Rance was the AA CHB. Played 0 games 2008, 15 games age 2009, 10 games 2010 aged 21, then 19 in 2011. So you are sort of right, it took more than a seasons or two for Rance to establish himself. He was pretty raw when he started though, Garth was a bit more mature from the word go.

Garth has had a limited preseason. I don’t see that happening unless we have injury depletion.

Haere Ra

Oh that’s a shame
Hopefully he can get his body right sooner rather than later
Thanks for the info kiwi

Interesting. If I'm Garth and I'm learning from Grimes, Tigger, Rance and Astbury and being line Coached by Leppa do I go to another side so I can play seniors now or wait 1-2 years and be schooled by some of the best in the modern era.

How old was Rance when he got regular games? 23-4? Not saying Garth is going to be as elite as those guys but learn off the best any day of the week.
Rance was 19 when he debuted and played 15 games in his second yr. Ten in his third and then missed just ten games over the next eight years He was pretty much a regular from day dot apart from yr one.

He was a bit on the skinny side when he first came hence he didnt get a game yr one.

Last edited:
Dave Astbury layed 17 games in his first season and then missed a hell of a lot of footy with injuries over the next 5 seasons.

The best place to learn the AFL caper is in the ones actually playing.The only question that needs asking is are they ready and in Garthwaite and Balta's case they are both physically ready and both have shown enough last yr to warrant games imo.

Great interview Garthy, real good to see back home on the border for a while. The journo's certainly got good time outa you bud and you did not miss a beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is his achiles going? Seems hes been in rehab group most of 2019 preseason so wont be in the frame for a senior game for a while. Hope it clears up soon, think we will be a better side structurally if he can force his way in for a Broad type

Dave Astbury layed 17 games in his first season and then missed a hell of a lot of footy with injuries over the next 5 seasons.

The best place to learn the AFL caper is in the ones actually playing.The only question that needs asking is are they ready and in Garthwaite and Balta's case they are both physically ready and both have shown enough last yr to warrant games imo.
Balta struggled to run out games for the first 15 or so rounds and for the rest of the season he played cameo roles with lots of gaps in between.
It will be alll about if he’s built up on his endurance levels over the preseason.
I think he needs at least half a season in the seconds still as we maybe playing one short for the majority of AFL games if he’s picked. If he’s to play Griggs role he will be burnt out after 15minutes as it’s a taxing endurance role. I would like to see him develop it in the VFL like what was happening towards the end of last season.

Balta struggled to run out games for the first 15 or so rounds and for the rest of the season he played cameo roles with lots of gaps in between.
It will be alll about if he’s built up on his endurance levels over the preseason.
I think he needs at least half a season in the seconds still as we maybe playing one short for the majority of AFL games if he’s picked. If he’s to play Griggs role he will be burnt out after 15minutes as it’s a taxing endurance role. I would like to see him develop it in the VFL like what was happening towards the end of last season.
Doesn't necessarily mean he has to play Grigg's role on the wing/ruck. Ruck duties and wherever he fits best.

Grigg off the wing is a good thing either way (not off the park, just the wing).

Wanna see the Garth in the team. Gonna be a quality player
No arguments about Garthy being quality, just wondering if he's capable of providing run off/out of the backline...
Too many defensive negating backmen, ie Astberry, Broady then Garth could slow our run down...

Gidday Tony montana and Jak L, the achilles is right now, but they don't need him at senior level first up,IMO, so i reckon they will hold him back one or two weeks then let him play vfl and be ready 'if' injuries hit. Garthy does have more to his bow, footy wise and can produce run and attack out of the backline, once the team plan ''allows'' it. Just, so far he has followed his instructions to a tee and is learning his apprenticeship well !!! when the 'shackles' finally come off, I believe you will see a more versatile, natural and attacking game unfold from no 42. cheers.

Gidday Tony montana and Jak L, the achilles is right now, but they don't need him at senior level first up,IMO, so i reckon they will hold him back one or two weeks then let him play vfl and be ready 'if' injuries hit. Garthy does have more to his bow, footy wise and can produce run and attack out of the backline, once the team plan ''allows'' it. Just, so far he has followed his instructions to a tee and is learning his apprenticeship well !!! when the 'shackles' finally come off, I believe you will see a more versatile, natural and attacking game unfold from no 42. cheers.

Reckon Garth is the real deal. Love what I have seen. He'll be cherry ripe to take over one of the KPF spots and we won't miss a beat as Dave and Rancey Pants get older. He's sure to have other teams chasing him. Not often you have an obvious high quality young KPD playing seconds like him. But he was a great pick up for us.

Doesn't necessarily mean he has to play Grigg's role on the wing/ruck. Ruck duties and wherever he fits best.

Grigg off the wing is a good thing either way (not off the park, just the wing).
I don’t really agree as I was more looking at the players who need replacing long term. Who else can he replace if Lynch comes in? I see him as a perfect replacement for Grigg as his spot has become redundant.
Also wherever he plays we still need him to be up to the right fitness and endurance level

Last edited:
No arguments about Garthy being quality, just wondering if he's capable of providing run off/out of the backline...
Too many defensive negating backmen, ie Astberry, Broady then Garth could slow our run down...

I'd replace Broad with Markov for run. Garth will have to rely on injury or a trade next year to get in the side for now. Will be interesting to see how Stack comes along. Would love him to break into the backline and push Short onto the wing. We'd be unstoppable :D

I don’t really agree as I was more looking at the players who need replacing long term. Who else can he replace if Lynch comes in? I see him as a perfect replacement for Grigg as his spot has become redundant.
To me he looks a natural CHB. Could he play there with stints in the ruck??
He is training as a forward you'd think as Lynch backup, or Jack god forbid.

He could wing rotate, but it is a tough gig. Could use him there as a go through man i.e. kick it in the air, so reinvent the wing spot a bit, like they did with Richo, he has Richo's speed and looks to have good aerial strength, obviously not his endurance at this stage. With the ball going to the wing after a point, imagine Richo with Shorts running 25m and lobbing it on his head.
Not a bad problem to have, where to fit in Balta.

To me he looks a natural CHB. Could he play there with stints in the ruck??
He is training as a forward you'd think as Lynch backup, or Jack god forbid.

He could wing rotate, but it is a tough gig. Could use him there as a go through man i.e. kick it in the air, so reinvent the wing spot a bit, like they did with Richo, he has Richo's speed and looks to have good aerial strength, obviously not his endurance at this stage. With the ball going to the wing after a point, imagine Richo with Shorts running 25m and lobbing it on his head.
Not a bad problem to have, where to fit in Balta.
This is it, as he will only get a gig as a forward IF AND ONLY IF
1)his endurance and motor is up to it and if
2) one or both of those two blokes are injured
I see him having to look for another spot as the BL is riddled with big men and Garth has him covered for next in line.So Grigg's spot is really his best opening providing hes physically up to it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back