Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Lever left Adelaide, Doedee came into the Crows side after a couple of seasons on their list and fitted straight in. Think we’ll see the same with Garth

I get what your trying to say. However one of those is a 5 x all Australian backman and the other was a glorified loose man.

I think Garth will probably surprise and be quite an adequate replacement but still we are going to feel the affect more than the Crows did.

The thing with Rance is he ran the back line onfield. A lot like Chaplin used to he directed traffic so well. Think that's where we will miss him the most. That will now fall on Astbury's shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Well we are certainly out of our collective comfort zone with Rancey injured...that's club, players and supporters.
Means now the 'collective we' is a tad more focused with this season's vicissitudes.
Anything goes now, that's both in tactics and player rotations and playing opportunity..
While I prefer Rancey playing, him not playing gives us options to experiment.
Will certainly sharpen up attitudes around the Club!
Can imagine once Rancey is back from his OP he'll certainly make his tactical presence/imput felt around both the coaches and players...so no time for slacking off and despair...just focus on the job at hand!

Last edited:
I think juss is right that Garth is far more defensive than rance. He will spoil first intercept second . Balta looks to have more instinct to go for his marks . Let’s face it replacing rancey is like getting a stand in for Elvis . IMHO we won’t be searching for a like for like , we will look anoint an interceptor , likely Vlas , could be markov or Moore . Won’t be anything too dramatic
Agree, although Garth is definitely more on the Rance side of Astbury, as far as the way he plays in the VFL. Would much rather be on the move spoiling a leading player than under the ball with a Gorilla. A lot of Rance's game is just getting to as many contests as possible and crashing packs/spoiling marking attempts.

We know that Vlastuin is a great interceptor of the ball and will probably utilise him more in this sense like you said.

Collingwood forward line only has michocek who is a spud, and cox who is dangerous (with frees given to him) and spurts of form but looked very tired the last quarter as talls, the rest are mediums or smalls, so if garth isn't ready I think we could cover them without him.

You may think Mihocek is a spud but he hit the scoreboard in every game bar one last year so need to keep an eye on him. Just the type to kick 3 or 4 if you ignore him.

Broad is very quick - his biggest strength is his versatility like grimes can play tall, medium or small. Skills are average but he’s learning to play within himself
Contests like a threshing machine , rarely beaten one on one , very useful player to surround with silky ball users

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garth comes in and plays lock down on a tall
Astbury plays on the other tall
Broad plays medium or small

Grimes plays Rances intercepting role

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah not bad.

I posted this in the Rance thread:

Rance will be a loss for us (yeah yeah stating the obvious). We have Grimes and Astbury who will continue to be rock solid for us. Vlaustin has a specific role in the backline and can't be expected to increase his Intercept numbers. Garthwaite is still developing as is Balta and hence they can't be expected to play a Rance type game (Intercept, Intercept, Intercept).

So who can come in and has the smarts and body to play such a role? Glad you all asked...Josh Caddy. Caddy is a big bodied mid who has the smarts to back himself in to read the play. He may take a few weeks to work out how to play the role but he may well be the answer.

We're thinking alike though in that we need to make sure the structure allows us to play someone as an Interceptor.

Yeah not bad.

Rance will be a loss for us (yeah yeah stating the obvious). We have Grimes and Astbury who will continue to be rock solid for us. Vlaustin has a specific role in the backline and can't be expected to increase his Intercept numbers. Garthwaite is still developing as is Balta and hence they can't be expected to play a Rance type game (Intercept, Intercept, Intercept).

So who can come in and has the smarts and body to play such a role? Glad you all asked...Josh Caddy. Caddy is a big bodied mid who has the smarts to back himself in to read the play. He may take a few weeks to work out how to play the role but he may well be the answer.

We're thinking alike though in that we need to make sure the structure allows us to play someone as an Interceptor.

Need Caddy off the injury list himself before even considering that one!

Yeah not bad.

I’ll eat my hat if Caddy comes in after his indefinite injury and plays in the backline. All our backs can intercept as is, it’s a huge part of our game style.

Balta and Garthwaite are the two next in line. Only question is on Garthwaite’s fitness. Balta might find himself down there on occasion - the pleasing thing is we actually have options.

Yeah not bad.

No it wouldn’t be caddy , poor closing speed and reflex for a defender, would very easily exposed , I could see Markov possibly being part of the puzzle , good hands and has an attacking instinct . Could come straight in , Moore could also play similarly

Grimes/Vlastuin/Astbury plays Rances intercepting role

Floss is an elite interceptor, the other two are pretty good too arhough grimes doesn’t take enough marks - he’s more the safety first spoiler

Grimes plays Rances intercepting role

broad needs to be the one intercepting. hes a little bigger/athletic and more attacking, and grimes ability to shutdown is invaluable

Yes Caddy does need to come off the injury list but am I missing something...he is a very decent / good forward who has played a key role for us down forward. Good hands and speed. He would need to change his game style a little bit but being a good forward is a good start to a career in the backline. Geez how many failed forwards have gone down back and been a success. Caddy is not a failed forward and has good skills and more importantly, good hands. Can also read the play better than our kids like Garthwaite and certainly Markov.

We need someone who can still intercept and set up play.

Garth is good to replace Rance but I’d swap Broad for Markov. Need the right balance of strength, height and pace in defence
If we drop Broad for Markov we deserve to not contend for the flag.

The only player Markov will be replacing in the backline is Short, Rance out makes Broad more important then ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back