Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've done pretty bloody well taking trade week into account and the young guns we've drafted - a forward/outside mid, inside mid bull and a defender/human blanket plus caddy plus prestia plus nanks.

This has been the most positive part of the season for me

I don't know what to make of Bolton. Drafting a small forward with our first pick, the year after drafting a small forward with our first pick, strikes me as odd. A key forward was my preferred option.
Elsewhere I am happy too, though. I don't know how we're going to win more than half our games in the next two years without Deledio, but then again, we probably would have had to learn how to play without Deledio within 2-3 years anyway.
If Garthwaite is the best one-on-one defender in this draft, and he plays alongside the best one-on-one defender in the competition, we may have filled a pretty important hole. Key forward is probably the one position we are severely undermanned in now.

I don't know what to make of Bolton. Drafting a small forward with our first pick, the year after drafting a small forward with our first pick, strikes me as odd. A key forward was my preferred option.
Elsewhere I am happy too, though. I don't know how we're going to win more than half our games in the next two years without Deledio, but then again, we probably would have had to learn how to play without Deledio within 2-3 years anyway.
If Garthwaite is the best one-on-one defender in this draft, and he plays alongside the best one-on-one defender in the competition, we may have filled a pretty important hole. Key forward is probably the one position we are severely undermanned in now.

The mids were taken in trades caddy Prestia

We have two first rounders next year in a draft good for talls.

This draft was light on key forwards

It's a risk but a nice risk to being in rioli and Bolton to compliment jack whilst he is still playing at his peak

Last edited:
I hope he isn't like RGIII, good for two years and then injured and replaced.

I took it as that, but also a stab at Lids BD3 thing.

That's generally true, but it appears up against his contemporaries he had a DE of 70%, so hopefully that continues.

I'm actually one of those punters that rate averages. Just always seems when you do that, in critical moments you get let down. That one kick out of 100 that you would normally make, under pressure you fluff and it kills the momentum in a game...always seems to be a technical thing to me....dunno.

Leppa needs to get on to this kids foot disposal and decision making immediately like he did with Rance and we could have a real find here. Like Rance, he seems to have a natural instinct for defense, nullifying an opponent and reading the play. I'm just a bit worried about this kids kicking. You need to hit targets under pressure from defense now days and this kids looks to just handball.

I'm hoping he can kill it in the VFL backline next year and force his way into the team or be a great depth player if nothing else!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like his instincts.we need a kpd coming thru.but omg lets pray he marks alot because at afl level or u18 level his kicking is woeful.before you say its efficent at 18s level,well this is afl level and he wont be gifted that time or space.

I'm actually one of those punters that rate averages. Just always seems when you do that, in critical moments you get let down. That one kick out of 100 that you would normally make, under pressure you fluff and it kills the momentum in a game...always seems to be a technical thing to me....dunno.
Sure but I have seen great kicks do it, so who knows.

Sure but I have seen great kicks do it, so who knows.

You get worked out. Man up everyone else except you as the bad kick. Happens all the time. Roos do it to us every time. Everyone knows who the bad kicks are. Gotta have skills that can execute under pressure as a min. Bolton has that, no doubt. Garthwaite, I get nervous just looking at his highlights.

Can't wait to see this kid play, dodgy ball drop, pressured, still hits targets by foot 30 meters away. In the backline. First time for everything I guess...
Did someone run over your dog? You sound very sad tonight

You get worked out. Man up everyone else except you as the bad kick. Happens all the time. Roos do it to us every time. Everyone knows who the bad kicks are. Gotta have skills that can execute under pressure as a min. Bolton has that, no doubt. Garthwaite, I get nervous just looking at his highlights.
I get that, but it doesn't have to be crutch against him. The dogs have plenty of bad kicks but they make it work. Would it be better if he did, sure, but he was a pick in the 70's.

Did someone run over your dog? You sound very sad tonight

No, the bitch did run off though and took me half an hour to find her.

I just think we had a mare tonight. Not a great draft when I think we had some ready made players we could have taken to harden up our midfield depth. Anyway, proof in the pudding. I'll be there every week cheering on like a maniac

I get that, but it doesn't have to be crutch against him. The dogs have plenty of bad kicks but they make it work. Would it be better if he did, sure, but he was a pick in the 70's.

Their system allows them to do that. Our high possession game plan relies on good kicking. That has to change. I don't like the dogs comparison as we're so far off that and have a completely different style. No doubt we will try and emulate it this year. Tigs need to come up with their own philosophy/style and stop trying to rip off others.

Their system allows them to do that. Our high possession game plan relies on good kicking. That has to change. I don't like the dogs comparison as we're so far off that and have a completely different style. No doubt we will try and emulate it this year. Tigs need to come up with their own philosophy/style and stop trying to rip off others.
Agreed. The dogs showed this year why you don't 'chase the leader'. Forge your own destiny and making everyone play catch-up with you is more sustainable long term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back