Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear he got an opportunity playing up around the stoppages on Sunday. I've always said he would make a great mid.

Would love to see him get a bit more of the ball though but even moreso just get yourself some airtime on the cameras big boy.

Good to hear he got an opportunity playing up around the stoppages on Sunday. I've always said he would make a great mid.

Would love to see him get a bit more of the ball though but even moreso just get yourself some airtime on the cameras big boy.

one of the best defensive midfield performances in living memory. If not for his shithouse team mates giving away two 50 meter penalties he would have kept the swans to 1 goal for the whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High hopes for Garthwaite
By Adrienne Hartnett
QdBe5JybcElEALqSI7Jv.jpg

Ryan Garthwaite in action for Richmond. The former Corowa footballer is aiming to cement himself in the reigning premier’s senior side.
b8lPrz3uvxnMbjMipTTZ.jpg

Corowa’s Ryan Garthwaite is setting his goals high for the 2021 AFL season with Richmond.

Corowa’s Ryan Garthwaite is aiming to put himself in the frame of selection for the 2021 AFL season as he gears up for another year with Richmond.

“Hopefully I can get some games, cement myself a spot in the team and play an important role in what we want to achieve next year,” Garthwaite told The Free Press.
Garthwaite began his career playing junior footy with Yarrawonga, Wahgunyah and Lavington, before moving on to the Murray Bushrangers and debuting in the O&M League with Corowa Rutherglen at 16 years of age.

Since then, the 22-year-old taken with pick 72 in the 2016 draft, has made nine senior AFL appearances across his four years with Richmond.
This year Garthwaite did not appear at senior level and admitted on a personal level, 2020 has been the most challenging year in his football career.
“I came back up to Corowa for two months when the season was abandoned in March and stayed with my parents. Obviously, it wasn’t good that the season was cancelled but it was good to spend time with mum and dad which I haven’t been able to do for a number of years,” he said.
“We went back down to Melbourne for about a month and then we got shipped up to Queensland to train at the hub. We did over 50 COVID tests and I think we spent 114 days at a hotel which was a long time.
“The season for me personally was a bit frustrating. I was injured, couldn’t get on the park, and being in a hub wasn’t what any of us were used to.”
Despite the challenges the pandemic brought to the AFL world, Garthwaite said the time he spent in Queensland was memorable.
“It’s an experience I’ll never forget,” the former Murray Bushranger said.
“To be up there with the team and all the boys was great. The camaraderie within the hub was amazing. It’s something that I will never forget. All in all, it was quite a unique experience and we were so well looked after.”
While Garthwaite loves playing defence, he said he wouldn’t rule out playing forward if he was given the opportunity.
“I was a forward growing up with junior footy. When I was a forward, as good as kicking goals was, I loved the tackling and the defensive side of being a forward,” he said.
“During the TAC cup year with the Bushrangers, I was switched down the back and I loved it. I think moving to the back sort of helped me. I love the back line but if there is a chance to play forward, I would put my hand up.”
Richmond development and backline VFL coach Ryan Ferguson is a key individual who has had a profound impact of Garthwaite’s career.
“He has had a massive impact on me not only on field but off field as well. He was sort of like a father figure when I moved down to Melbourne. He has always challenged me. While he has moved on to coaching the AFLW team, he is someone I appreciate a lot, especially the way he assisted me in my first four years,” he said.
Garthwaite also acknowledged the support of coach Damian Hardwick.
“Dimma is an amazing bloke. He is hard and he wants things done in a certain way but doesn’t mind having fun while doing it,” he said.
“While AFL is obviously a high-performance environment, one of the reasons why we have had so much success is that he brings an element of fun which has done wonders for the culture of the footy club.”
Captain Trent Cotchin and highly recognised player Dustin Martin also rank highly for Garthwaite.
“They are both great blokes. Cotchy is smart and calculative about how he goes about things. He goes above and beyond for anyone. He doesn’t walk around like he’s accomplished everything; he is always looking to develop himself and the team further,” he said.
“With Dusty, everyone knows he is a great footballer, but he is also a humble footballer and a great bloke. He’s a freak at what he does but he loves having fun and genuinely cares about his teammates.”
As reigning premiers for the third time in four years, Garthwaite said the secret to Richmond’s success comes down the culture of the club.
“Everyone comes back eager and keen to achieve what we have in previous years,” he said.
“Those who haven’t played a premiership come back and strive for it. We have a really healthy competition between each other, and the support is incredible.
“Once you have played to that feeling success you want more and it’s about putting those small steps in place to achieve it. We have those things cemented in the club.
“My main goal is to get my body right. I have had a few injuries this year which wasn’t the plan but of course I want to keep developing and keep improving too.”

I want to see every Richmond player succeed. I just don't see it with Garth unfortunately. Feel like he is a serviceable backup at most. Wouldnt mind seeing how he goes up forward for an extended period of time.

I want to see every Richmond player succeed. I just don't see it with Garth unfortunately. Feel like he is a serviceable backup at most. Wouldnt mind seeing how he goes up forward for an extended period of time.
That was the most interesting part of the article for mine
Will be one to watch in the JLT to see where he lines up

Despite the challenges the pandemic brought to the AFL world, Garthwaite said the time he spent in Queensland was memorable.
“It’s an experience I’ll never forget,” the former Murray Bushranger said.
“To be up there with the team and all the boys was great. The camaraderie within the hub was amazing. It’s something that I will never forget. All in all, it was quite a unique experience and we were so well looked after.”
While Garthwaite loves playing defence, he said he wouldn’t rule out playing forward if he was given the opportunity.
“I was a forward growing up with junior footy. When I was a forward, as good as kicking goals was, I loved the tackling and the defensive side of being a forward,” he said.
Interesting. Didn’t he kick something like 86 goals and 12 behinds or something ridiculous like that pre-AFL? I’ve actually been waiting to see how he goes with an extended period up forward for a while because of it. Hopefully we get to see a bit of that this year.

I like what he brings. Unfortunately I see him as a direct replacement for Broad, so he isn't getting a game there.

But he's a good lock down defender, and had a great junior KPF record. Hope it all comes good for him and us.

I still think Garth can play as second tall defender
He has great chemistry with Noah Balta
And is a great organiser and talker, like Grimes and rance have been,,,just needs an opportunity
And I think he will be fine
Can definitely see Garth Noah and Biggy
Running our defence for the next 10 years

I still think Garth can play as second tall defender
He has great chemistry with Noah Balta
And is a great organiser and talker, like Grimes and rance have been,,,just needs an opportunity
And I think he will be fine
Can definitely see Garth Noah and Biggy
Running our defence for the next 10 years

The club must rate him.Like others I wouldn't mind trying him up forward if he can't find a place in our backline his got the tools as he said defensive stuff, can take a grab and his kicking while uncoordinated he hits his targets not a issue for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back