Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he had a very good game up until the last qtr when the floodgates opened
Still think he is worth giving another year or so contract until we actually sort out a plan for what our backline is going to look like after Astbury and Grimes

What? Broad is a good mark, a good kick and finds plenty of the ball.

Garth can't do any of that. Poor man's Darren Gaspar and that's not enough in today's footy.
He had 90% disposal efficiency yesterday mate.

I can appreciate his kicking technique isn’t the most attractive but it usually has the desired outcome.

He of course had the two bad handballs during the Lions game but there hasn’t been any other turnovers. Garth obviously isn’t a rebounding defender but for his role his disposal (whilst it doesn’t look the cleanest), is completely fine for the role he plays. I also enjoy having a defender who doesn’t try to over do their disposals and is happy to play in the smells so they can do their thing.

I can appreciate his kicking technique isn’t the most attractive but it usually has the desired outcome.

He of course had the two bad handballs during the Lions game but there hasn’t been any other turnovers. Garth obviously isn’t a rebounding defender but for his role his disposal (whilst it doesn’t look the cleanest), is completely fine for the role he plays. I also enjoy having a defender who doesn’t try to over do their disposals and is happy to play in the smells so they can do their thing.
Great summery mate, I think that’s the thing I like most about Garth, he knows his limitations and plays according to his skill set
You just know that he knows exactly what his role is and he’s gonna give it everything he has to play it

It freaks me out the trap door ball drop of his and I think there will be others with greater strengths for his position but one thing about him being on the list is imagine if you were dropped after a few games in the 1sts and you had a bit of the Feeling sorry for yourself stuff and you lined up next to Garth.
You wouldnt be able to look yourself in the mirror.

Yeah I know that. He keeps it simple and plays to his limits. But he panicks under pressure. How many times has he given off a quick handball when under immediate pressure to a team mate in a worse position? At least 5 times the last 2 weeks.

Let's face it he's only getting a game because broad, balta and vlastuin are injured and probably wouldn't have got a game last week in Miller didn't cop an injury too. 6th in line for a kpd spot at best, probably 7th.

He's never even dominated vfl footy. He was an average-poor forward this season until we needed another tall defender in the ones.

I like the bloke but he's not up to it.

Garth is a good at what he does. But when the ball comes in fast to a one on one against someone much bigger and stronger he's in trouble. He also is decent skills, but nothing great. Excellent shut down player on the tall mediums, or the non-monster talls.

If we had Balta and Astbury in he'd be fine as that 3rd guy. Although then he gets shunted on for Grimes and Broad. So he becomes 5th, and then Vlas take that spot.

So IMHO great depth player. Being criticised for that is unfortunate. For what he is he's great value. But he isn't a future top end KPD. He might get the chop if we think Biggie and Miller have that higher end potential. But as the 6th best player in our line for his role, he's quality.

Mr Garth, with all the hate on this site, and most of them sour oxygen thieves whose only claim to fame would be that they once stood on a footy and fell on their face, i hope you don't come any where near this forum!!!! but if you 'do', I, we, hope that you get a chance with one more afl club that may see what you can do as a ''Forward'' not that you do much wrong up back. You are a designated key forward on this years afl lists and have played only 3 and half games in your 5 seasons up forward. Rfnwmc now have sons of guns, the do anything you want academy, and a coach that does the same! Good luck what ever happens, as you have been a great club man and have all ways followed the coaches 'game plan' , now you pay the penalty for 'that'. The very best to you, cholly and egg in what the future brings, cheers.

Mr Garth, with all the hate on this site, and most of them sour oxygen thieves whose only claim to fame would be that they once stood on a footy and fell on their face, i hope you don't come any where near this forum!!!! but if you 'do', I, we, hope that you get a chance with one more afl club that may see what you can do as a ''Forward'' not that you do much wrong up back. You are a designated key forward on this years afl lists and have played only 3 and half games in your 5 seasons up forward. Rfnwmc now have sons of guns, the do anything you want academy, and a coach that does the same! Good luck what ever happens, as you have been a great club man and have all ways followed the coaches 'game plan' , now you pay the penalty for 'that'. The very best to you, cholly and egg in what the future brings, cheers.
The club trained him as a forward this year didn't they? And he played fwd in the VFL early this season.

He was thrown back as a necessity right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How disappointed would people on here be if Garthwaite was lining up in our best 22 for round 1 2022.

We should have been playing Miller for about half of this year IMO. I have put a line through Garth but Miller remains un-sighted despite the 198/96 frame.

Garth, despite his commendable effort, is not even appropriate as a depth player.

I want to see Miller play or get delisted. If he's going to play he needs to do it while Grimes is around to mentor him IMO.

Backline KPDs should be Balta, Grimes, Miller, Broad if you think he's tall enough (sometimes he is).

Astbury should be retained on minimal $ as depth only.

If Miller is a bust then we need to either trade in a KPD, or draft some tall talent if we are committed to a rebuild.

The other option is Biggie who has had 2 interrupted years on our list due to COVID. I haven't heard much good feedback so far though so don't hold high hopes.

Interesting take given he was the only KPD to beat his opponent on Friday night.
Beat his opponent ?

Did you watch the game , Easily worst 2-3 in the team
falling over constantly without being touched and getting beaten by toranto a mid playing foward
unable to kill the ball.

Maybe watch the game again

Beat his opponent ?

falling over constantly without being touched and getting beaten by toranto a mid playing foward
unable to kill the ball.

He lost one contest for the game which was against Toranto when he fell over his outstretched leg trying to get front spot which was unfortunate more than anything.

Otherwise he played on Hogan who had his worse game of the year, not giving him an inch. Ended the game with joint most 1% which for a defenders is generally spoils and had the second most intercepts.

Worst 2-3 in the team. Not a clue.

Beat his opponent ?

unable to kill the ball.

Garthwaite only lost one contest when he was on Toranto
He kicked two goals on Vlossy who was his main opponent along with Stack and Grimes who all also lost contests against him

Garthwaite mainly played on Himmelberg and Hogan

He lost one contest for the game which was against Toranto when he fell over his outstretched leg trying to get front spot which was unfortunate more than anything.

Otherwise he played on Hogan who had his worse game of the year, not giving him an inch. Ended the game with joint most 1% which for a defenders is generally spoils and had the second most intercepts.

Worst 2-3 in the team. Not a clue.
Basically just posted the same thing
I watched the individual player highlights on the AFL app
Garth only played on Toranto once when he had that goal kicked on him

So he gets delisted who do people suggest takes over considering Dave might retire and can't play 22 games and Balta injury recovery ? Biggie ? Miller ? both unknown yet big hole there like I said won't be a star seems to always cop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back