Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

We won flags with a dozen players I'd describe as "handy" playing some role through the season or playing in the flags themselves. Not stars, not very good players, handy players. Outside of maybe 10-12 genuinely very good or star players, the top-8 sides (indeed, the top-4 sides) are full of KPD's I'd describe the same way.

Petty/Tomlinson are handy players, May is a star, Lever is a very good player on his day when he gets conditions to suit.

I don't think a case could be made that any of Keath/Cordy/Young are better than handy, the Dogs may well win a flag with them.

Henderson and Blicavs probably fall into the very good category on their day, Kolodjashnij is handy.

Port have an unusual blend of tall mediums, Allir has probably been the best of them this year (he's had some very ordinary games too) and he was given away for a pick that will likely be in the 30's. Could make a case for a couple of them being very good on their day, could make a case for them all being no better than handy.

Ditto the Swans, Dawson may end up a star, Rampe was a star (and a complete freak at his height), McCartin is somewhere between very good and handy at this point, Melican handy.

Of the remaining sides, you'd really only call Andrews and perhaps Ryan stars, there's a few with claims to the very good category and the rest handy. If West Coast make it, you could certainly make a case for McGovern and Barrass as either stars or very good, you could also make a very strong case that they've blown too much of their cap on their spine to be genuine premiership threats in the next half a decade.

The real key to being successful is to get enough of your 'handy' players performing at a 'very good' level for 'handy' level money. That's precisely what we managed with Astbury and many others. They end up classified as 'very good' in hindsight. In key defender's cases, the difference between 'handy' and 'very good' performances when it counts depends a lot on the midfield performing plus the ground ball players not turning it over and leaving you 1:1 too often.

The board threads for Rance, Astbury and Grimes are full of posts where they were at the same stage of their career as Garth writing them off as not good enough.

Every single criticism getting leveled at Garth also got slung at Astbury.
So so good to post with someone that ''see's'' and ''knows'' and remembers his footbal!! perfect summary Razor of all clubs. I still cant believe how supporters tear the players apart in the team they are supposed to follow? when they "sacrifice" and give their all to the best of their ability, knowing each season could be their last.

For those who want to keep him, who is going to be delisted from the senior list instead?
We have a bunch of draft picks to take and there are going to need to be some unpopular decisions made for us to be able to use them
For the record I’d like to see Garth stay on for another year as depth, especially with Astbury retiring today.

I can completely respect this point of view on the size of the squad and the number of list spots we’ll need to have available with our draft hand. I do however believe that a lot of our list changes won’t necessarily be based around actual delistings. Astbury of course won’t be playing next year, no one could be sure whether Houli will be on the list either.

Both Chol and CCJ have been heavily linked with moves (I really hope CCJ stays), there’s every chance Caddy could be shopped around and I’d imagine Eggy gets delisted. That alone has the potential to be 5/6 list changes without getting into any finer details.

it’d be my opinion that a call won’t be made until the last minute and a lot of it will depend on other potential list changes. I hope he stays!

For the record I’d like to see Garth stay on for another year as depth, especially with Astbury retiring today.

I can completely respect this point of view on the size of the squad and the number of list spots we’ll need to have available with our draft hand. I do however believe that a lot of our list changes won’t necessarily be based around actual delistings. Astbury of course won’t be playing next year, no one could be sure whether Houli will be on the list either.

Both Chol and CCJ have been heavily linked with moves (I really hope CCJ stays), there’s every chance Caddy could be shopped around and I’d imagine Eggy gets delisted. That alone has the potential to be 5/6 list changes without getting into any finer details.

it’d be my opinion that a call won’t be made until the last minute and a lot of it will depend on other potential list changes. I hope he stays!
Chol & Egg are both on the rookie list. Your proposed changes (Astbury, Houli & Caddy) only have us taking 3 empty spots to the draft, assuming CCJ stays as you hope.
So who else is going?

Chol & Egg are both on the rookie list. Your proposed changes (Astbury, Houli & Caddy) only have us taking 3 empty spots to the draft, assuming CCJ stays as you hope.
So who else is going?
I never said Garth has to stay on the senior list mate, I’m not sure whether the rule has stayed from last year but the AFL introduced the ability clubs have to move a player straight from the senior list to the rookie list without needing to redraft them.

As I said in my earlier post I personally hope he stays. I am willing to acknowledge there’s a genuine chance he won’t be offered a spot next year. I wouldn’t even argue the fact that he’s more likely to miss out that he was to re-sign.

What’s still really scary is the club has 18 players out of contract at the end of this season. Outside of those names we’ve both listed I hope and expect most of them will still re-sign but ultimately we still don’t know how all of that will pan out. At this time last year I certainly didn’t imagine Higgins would leave the club.

I’d noted in your quoted post, I personally think Garth’s future will be very dependent on the contracts of many other players. Of course we can sit her and speculate on a limited number of spots that’ll most likely be available but contracts and trade periods can be very unpredictable so I’m happy to hope for Garth but also wait to see how it all unfolds.

I never said Garth has to stay on the senior list mate, I’m not sure whether the rule has stayed from last year but the AFL introduced the ability clubs have to move a player straight from the senior list to the rookie list without needing to redraft them.
That was only for last year, that rule is gone now

So who else is going?
Chol was elevated after last year's ND because we only 35 senior players (minimum is 36).

love garthy but let's get fair dinkum, if he was offered up for a trade and we could get him somewhere suitable we would. but won't get a nibble. so garth will be delisted and we look for a readymade strong, tall key back looking for a chance to get to tigerland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for everything Ryan Garthwaite. You had a much better career than me :)

love garthy but let's get fair dinkum, if he was offered up for a trade and we could get him somewhere suitable we would. but won't get a nibble. so garth will be delisted and we look for a readymade strong, tall key back looking for a chance to get to tigerland.
Nice predictions there!!

wonder if we'll see him featue in the vfl squad, the type of player that would be valuable, but he's from the bush so wouldn't be surprised if he just heads back
Hopefully he stays for the VFL program. His leadership would be invaluable for the young VFL group.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back