Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Too many quality defenders. It's hard to believe that I'm disagreeing with you .. with my reason being that we have too much talent in that area! If we go your route we end up losing some of the attacking edge. You lose Short/Houli, or Broad who is doing really well.

What a problem, we've got too many quality tall defenders to fit into the team. Plus we've got Miller and Balta coming on. :eek:

Well that’s kind of what I’m getting at. You give the other blokes like Grimes etc free reign to make those attacking plays while better securing the back. It would completely restructure the wings/defence which wouldn’t necessarily involve getting rid of defenders, first on the chopping block for me would be the blokes on the wings.

I think Houli/Grimes/short/Broad can offer enough offensive run and carry.

It would really put Houli and short off the chain and allow them to roam. Both have raking long kicks hat would burn the hell out of teams. Especially with another marking forward target! Short is great for this at the moment and also for kick outs etc when we need to clear a web.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Would like to see him play a bit forward next year in the 2's.
Good mark, good one on one, accurate goal kicker, huge km's vs Ess.
Could be a Nick Riewoldt type.

"In July of 2016 Garthwaite was officially invited to the forthcoming national draft combine in Melbourne. There he placed equal-first in the clean hands test (handballing) as well as equal-second in the goal-kicking test with a score of 25 out of 30."

Even without Lynch yet, we have an assortment of talls that can play forward with Reiwoldt, Rance, Astbury, Garth, Balta, Chol, Moore.

I wasn’t joking when I said l should have him in the team during finals and throw him up forwards ( to replace an un named) or rotate him as a defender.....or second ruck option. Too many choices.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Rance has played far less for Rance and much more for Richmond this season, like the Jack of the backline.
Staggers me reading where our supporters think he’s had a bit of an off year by his standards, to me he’s never been better.
Good post RD! :thumbsu:

Saw a talking footy thing on chan31 I think it was with Cothch & Grimes . Grimes said Ryan will be a star! Hi praise from Optimus, not prone to verbal diarrea....

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Saw a talking footy thing on chan31 I think it was with Cothch & Grimes . Grimes said Ryan will be a star! Hi praise from Optimus, not prone to verbal diarrea....
You saw it live I swear you were one of the contestants that lost TJ :eek::'(:D:p

Players were full of praise for him at the JDM last night. Sounds like he is very close to the team and the coaches may need to look at altering how we set up in order to find a spot for him.

Not sure how we do that with a 6/6/6 set up

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not sure how we do that with a 6/6/6 set up

6/6/6 set up isn't going to change a thing. Essentially the spare man will start on the wing and push straight back to the 50 and the bloke who is playing on the wing will start inside 50 and push onto the wing. It actually will help being taller in a 6/6/6 set up as if the spare man can't get back in time then you have the height to potentially make up for not having the extra number.

Last edited:
6/6/6 set up isn't going to change a thing. Essentially the spare man will start on the wing and push straight back to the 50 and the bloke who is playing on the wing will start inside 50 and push onto the wing. It actually will help being taller in a 6/6/6 set up as if the spare man can't get back in time then you have the height to potentially not having the extra number.

Ok thanks for clearing that up

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
6/6/6 set up isn't going to change a thing. Essentially the spare man will start on the wing and push straight back to the 50 and the bloke who is playing on the wing will start inside 50 and push onto the wing. It actually will help being taller in a 6/6/6 set up as if the spare man can't get back in time then you have the height to potentially make up for not having the extra number.
Soo... essentially you're saying that 6/6/6 wont change a thing but if you change the set up by being taller will help with the 6/6/6...got it

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Soo... essentially you're saying that 6/6/6 wont change a thing but if you change the set up by being taller will help with the 6/6/6...got it

For the five times a game when the opposition wins a clearance and gets it deep inside their forward 50 it might help to be taller given the spare man won't be there but the rest of the game there will be a spare man and the game won't be any different to what it is currently.

tiggywigs

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
My hunch is that Dimma will experiment with using Astbury and Garthwaite as the main pivot KPD's, freeing up Rance to play the third man interceptor and Grimes to play the lockdown on the oppo's most dangerous medium/small forwards.
That would have the added benefit of being able to use the Dwarf Lord as a swing man (or second interceptor).
It might mean that Mouli's days are numbered.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Has to be a big chance coming in best 22 was impressed this year.Did his apprenticeship but for who ?.Got to fit him in or clubs will circle.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
My hunch is that Dimma will experiment with using Astbury and Garthwaite as the main pivot KPD's, freeing up Rance to play the third man interceptor and Grimes to play the lockdown on the oppo's most dangerous medium/small forwards.
That would have the added benefit of being able to use the Dwarf Lord as a swing man (or second interceptor).

This is what I'm thinking might happen as well. Although you also listen to what Astbury, Grimes and Rance say about Vlastuin and his reading of the play and it makes you wonder whether they would want to play Rance in his role instead.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Thats exactly how Im picturing it

Has to be a big chance coming in best 22 was impressed this year.Did his apprenticeship but for who ?.Got to fit him in or clubs will circle.

Broad.

Back