Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

i was joking about 200cm but it looks like he has grown significantly in those pictures

it doesnt need to be shot down at all, soon you can go to training yourself and we will know how tall/little he is

he is behind four premiership players; Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Broad. 'not being up' to it is a bit of an early call, he is 20 years old and been very good in the 2s
Garth is behind those 4. But if they could rest those guys for 2 games each this year and get 8 games into Garth. Then if there is an issue in the finals, with anyone’s health, the selectors will be confident with Garth.

Looks to me that the photo is taken at an angle of .75 if we factor in the rotation of the earth and humidity levels of the day it was taken devided by the number goals dusty has kicked my math has him at about 354.86305 cm tall although my math could be slightly off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the photo is the resigning one with Lambert then I'd guess at 4ish cm. So that puts Garth about 195/6. If CCJ has grown a little (happens to guys that age) then he's maybe 197/8.

Any which way Garth is a good size for KPB.

Gidday Team, caught up with Garthy over chrissy, and just thought i would fix up all these 'wobbles' and 'inuendo' on this thread! He IS 196-not higher-he IS 92 kgs and IMO he will have a huge impact from the start of this 2019 season- ''Barring Injuries'', he is super fit and ready to come off the 'rehab' list after his ankle clean out, that was always going to happen after any surgery to ''any'' player? Mid Jan, all stops out from now on. Cheers-go tigers 2019.

Gidday Team, caught up with Garthy over chrissy, and just thought i would fix up all these 'wobbles' and 'inuendo' on this thread! He IS 196-not higher-he IS 92 kgs and IMO he will have a huge impact from the start of this 2019 season- ''Barring Injuries'', he is super fit and ready to come off the 'rehab' list after his ankle clean out, that was always going to happen after any surgery to ''any'' player? Mid Jan, all stops out from now on. Cheers-go tigers 2019.
Well that has ruined this thread. Back to Shorty or Broady. Mind you Balta looks to have grown a bit.

Good on you mate. :thumbsu: SO my dodgy uneducated 196ish was right on. I can rest assured I am now the great guru on all player related issues. :p

That's an excellent height. Add a couple of kgs and he's just the right size.

196 is good

bigger than astbury

Im gunna have a bit of fun here because lets face it its the off season and im bored.

The only tall player on our list who has grown by some 4 cm is Garthwaite yet every other tall on our list is basically the height they were drafted at.

Yep if true Garthwaite is a real exception to what happens in the main.

when drafted
Rance 194cm now 194cm
Riewoldt 195cm now 193cm yep another exception a player who has apparently shrunk.
Astbury 195cm now 195cm
Grimes 193cm now 193cm
Lynch 199cm now 199cm
Nankervis 199cm now 199cm
Broad 192cm now 192cm
Moore 193cm now 193cm
The height for Miller and Balta the same as they were listed in the draft the only exception apparantly is Garthwaite, and hes also supposed to have stacked on 12 kg as well.
Now im not saying people are wrong but i for one would like proper confirmation it really is rare to grow so much after 19yrs of age also to have put on so much size apparently in so short a time wow.

Everything ive read on this kid is good and some of the opinions i respect and can not fault. He is a very good one v one defender and rarely loses a contest
And at 192 or 196cm !!!! he can play kp At 91kg he is still a bit on the light side to put up against 100kg monsters.

Im just having a bit of fun here people so theres no need to get all antsy.

Im gunna have a bit of fun here because lets face it its the off season and im bored.

The only tall player on our list who has grown by some 4 cm is Garthwaite yet every other tall on our list is basically the height they were drafted at.

Yep if true Garthwaite is a real exception to what happens in the main.

when drafted
Rance 194cm now 194cm
Riewoldt 195cm now 193cm yep another exception a player who has apparently shrunk.
Astbury 195cm now 195cm
Grimes 193cm now 193cm
Lynch 199cm now 199cm
Nankervis 199cm now 199cm
Broad 192cm now 192cm
Moore 193cm now 193cm
The height for Miller and Balta the same as they were listed in the draft the only exception apparantly is Garthwaite, and hes also supposed to have stacked on 12 kg as well.
Now im not saying people are wrong but i for one would like proper confirmation it really is rare to grow so much after 19yrs of age also to have put on so much size apparently in so short a time wow.

Everything ive read on this kid is good and some of the opinions i respect and can not fault. He is a very good one v one defender and rarely loses a contest
And at 192 or 196cm !!!! he can play kp At 91kg he is still a bit on the light side to put up against 100kg monsters.

Im just having a bit of fun here people so theres no need to get all antsy.
Not being antsy just that you said the same thing last year when pura hana said that he knew him personally and from memory he said he had grown from 192cm not 194. Now he is 196cm or near enough from the horses mouth.
You don't have to be tarzan to play on some big forwards, Harris Andrews for Brisbane is a gun key defender and quite lean. Astbury ain't going anywhere just yet, so he takes the strongest opponents.

Garth still looks bit immature body wise. If he's growing in height maybe he's just that sort of guy that puts the muscle on more slowly. Any way, the photo with CCJ shows he's north of 195 now. His AFL games also didn't show any lack of strength. Looks a great pick up for late pick.

Was talking with a friend of mine last night and the topic got onto football then about Patrick cripps then about young men growing
He mentioned that his son who finished VCE a few years back and did rowing was measured at 183cm as a 17.5 year old and later joined the police force 3 years later was measured at 189cm as a 21 year old. It seems pretty common for boys to grow until 20/21 (not all and im sure its probably a low percentage but certainly not uncommon) RCD in his video claims he grew 8cm as a 17 year old - Thats unbelievable

If Garth has grown from 192cm -196cm after being drafted as an 18.5 year old thats very impressive and makes him the perfect size
Just need to get another 4-5 kgs of muscle on him. Also need to keep in mind that he is only 20 years old so should gain that easily in the next 12-18 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Back