Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Sep 7, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
SMFC
Have to admit looking forward to seeing how this kid does in the seniors this year, yes the circumstances around this suck but I do hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it.
Here's his chance to prove himself, he'll be in the team every week he's fit and that's exactly what he needs to learn and develop. He's an exiting prospect and even though the situation with Rance is devastating it'll be great to see Garth in the team on a regular basis.

Reckon Balta might have a go down back as well whilst Garth gets up to speed

Not sure Balta is ready to be playing such an important role defensively yet

Need someone with composure and good decision making and Balta is a little too erratic

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Need someone with composure and good decision making and Balta is a little too erratic
Balta's role may be more based on stopping the oppo rather than his disposal and decision making...
And don't forget, Rance was horrendous with ball in hand as a kid, that worked pretty well.

Moore can play Balta's role from last night.

Then in a couple of weeks, if that hasn't worked, Garth should be back up to full fitness and we have another option...

Balta's role may be more based on stopping the oppo rather than his disposal and decision making...
And don't forget, Rance was horrendous with ball in hand as a kid, that worked pretty well.

Moore can play Balta's role from last night.

Then in a couple of weeks, if that hasn't worked, Garth should be back up to full fitness and we have another option...

Personally I would keep Balta playing the same role as last night and what he has trained for in the pre season

And just bring in Ellis or Markov onto the wing and push Kmac back to the backline until Garth is ready

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Everyone within the club has spoke highly of Ryan whenever they’ve had the opportunity. He’s a real talent this bloke. Never going to be up to replace Rance, but Garth can play a role. More responsibility on Astbury and Grimes now. Garth takes the 3rd best forward imo. Broad plays the interceptor role similar to Rance. Really hurts loosing Alex, but our system doesn’t rely on 1 player. Winning the flag becomes a lot harder now, but I’m still optimistic which is unusual for me. Let’s show the doubters we can still do it

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

Not sure about being erratic, but he sure likes to roll the dice and back hisself in...
When he's on...he's on!

Not sure about being erratic, but he sure likes to roll the dice and back hisself in...
When he's on...he's on!

I don’t disagree but there is a lot less risk in backing yourself in when your kicking into our forward 50 as aposed to taking a mark in the defensive goalsqaure and having to pick your way out of a teams forward press

5 years ago absolutely you would chuck him down back when the club was still building but right now we need our best decision makers in defence

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I don’t disagree but there is a lot less risk in backing yourself in when your kicking into our forward 50 as aposed to taking a mark in the defensive goalsqaure and having to pick your way out of a teams forward press

5 years ago absolutely you would chuck him down back when the club was still building but right now we need our best decision makers in defence
Right now i just don't see Balta as a positional back man...ruck/forward for me...

Right now i just don't see Balta as a positional back man...ruck/forward for me...

Yeah 100% I was just referring to the people suggesting we should play balta to cover Rance

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Everyone within the club has spoke highly of Ryan whenever they’ve had the opportunity. He’s a real talent this bloke. Never going to be up to replace Rance, but Garth can play a role. More responsibility on Astbury and Grimes now. Garth takes the 3rd best forward imo. Broad plays the interceptor role similar to Rance. Really hurts loosing Alex, but our system doesn’t rely on 1 player. Winning the flag becomes a lot harder now, but I’m still optimistic which is unusual for me. Let’s show the doubters we can still do it

This really worries me. Not that they aren't fantastic players but because they've both had a history of injury themselves. We really don't want to make either of these two guys assume any more physical load than absolutely necessary. If we get another injury down there we are stuffed.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
My preference would be a like for likish swap - Rance for Garthwaite. It really just depends on Garthwaite's fitness really. If he is not ready I would think a little more laterally and place Balta down there and then push McIntosh back when Nak is on the bench and Balta needs to ruck. I'm not sold on the whole three tall forwardline. Last night the ball zipped out of the forwardline almost as quickly as it went in. I think having one less dinosaur down there but still having the flexibility to give Nank a chop out with a genuine backup like Balta, is a option worth exploring.

Back