Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week, we needed a mobile key position capable defender. The selectors went to the cupboard but the cupboard was bare. No Grimes, no Rance. Balta and Chol are developing forward/ruck types who have spent all summer training for those positions, what do they get from being played one match out of position and likely towelled up only to go back to playing a different role the next week? Miller was less ready than Garthwaite. Marsh was spririted away by the Saints just prior to the season starting, and presumably we could have added him to our list once Rance was gone long term(unsure if that is actually correct?) Beyond that you are asking a non key position player to play the role with a disrupted backline around them.

The selectors did not make a great selection when they selected Garthwaite, but they did appear to choose the most suitable option. Many really good defenders have been destroyed early in their career by a gun player and with Garthwaite underdone, last week was his turn. It tells him where he has to get to in order to be AFL ready and no doubt he will work diligently on his fitness and touch over the coming month or two to ensure he is at his best when his next shot comes.

Garthwaite is decent enough and did nothing wrong. The selectors have proven themselves to mainly make very good decisions over recent seasons, they did nothing wrong. Sometimes you just have to accept that certain list strategies can leave you without viable alternatives in key areas at times. And when that happens you are not likely to beat decent teams away interstate. It is also possible that the selectors underestimated Garthwaite's fitness and touch deficit and if so they would not be the first or last to do this.

wouldn't any match fit player be the better option then? so he wasn't the best option. maybe naish is match fit

Naish? Are you kidding?

Grimes is a medium lockdown defender like Garthwaite the only other similar player like that on our vfl list is miller who has missed even more of the pre season than Garthwaite

Naish is a rebounding half back/ winger who plays a completely different role

Just further to that, it is not just the player's ability v his opponent the selectors needed to consider. It is also his ability to hold structure and communicate with others. Hardwick has said Balta is always telling other players where to position themselves but he has no clue where to be himself most of the time. And Chol and Moore do not appeal as players who are going to help others hold the right structure in an AFL backline. Garthwaite on the other hand has been praised for his ability to do just that.

Naish? Are you kidding?

Grimes is a medium lockdown defender like Garthwaite the only other similar player like that on our vfl list is miller who has missed even more of the pre season than Garthwaite

Naish is a rebounding half back/ winger who plays a completely different role

he can multitask, there were a handful of selectable players anyway

Garth has been in rehab just about the entire pre season and just come and and played 1 maybe 2 practice games with limited game time prior to last week

Miller was also out with issue's

We had no choice but to play Garth with Grimes & Rance out last week against GWS with 3 players above 195cm Himmelberg,Cameron & finlayson

Dimma seemed to indicate in today’s presser that Garth will be in the side for an extended period
Great news for him to put his hand up and show us what he has

Dimma seemed to indicate in today’s presser that Garth will be in the side for an extended period
Great news for him to put his hand up and show us what he has

Interesting to see how that works with Vlastuin(who should only miss one match,) Broad, Grimes playing similar roles and Astbury taking the key targets. Then you have to fit in Stack, Houli and Edwards. So you would think for Garthwaite to get an extended run, one of those players needs to play elsewhere....most likely Vlastuin, Grimes or Broad. I am not sure Garth gets an extended run unless other players miss matches.

Interesting to see how that works with Vlastuin(who should only miss one match,) Broad, Grimes playing similar roles and Astbury taking the key targets. Then you have to fit in Stack, Houli and Edwards. So you would think for Garthwaite to get an extended run, one of those players needs to play elsewhere....most likely Vlastuin, Grimes or Broad. I am not sure Garth gets an extended run unless other players miss matches.

Just passing on what Dimma said in the press conference
His words went along the lines that Garth had never had an opportunity to have a continuous stretch of games until now

Will be interesting how it all pans out and who makes way for him
They may even start to mange some of the younger body’s in the side like Balta and Sydney who are playing there first year of senior afl

I think Garth will play the role Broad has been playing and allow Broad to play more HB and generate run

I think Garth will play the role Broad has been playing and allow Broad to play more HB and generate run

Broad not a great user though, would it be more likely Vlastuin perhaps played that role when he returns? Maybe it is right they look to start resting some of the younger players, or Houli goes to a wing or something along those lines. Last week's selection was very strange with no genuine tall in defence, I have really struggled to work out what the selectors were thinking there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broad not a great user though, would it be more likely Vlastuin perhaps played that role when he returns? Maybe it is right they look to start resting some of the younger players, or Houli goes to a wing or something along those lines. Last week's selection was very strange with no genuine tall in defence, I have really struggled to work out what the selectors were thinking there.
Dodgy I reckon. Selectors either took the juicy 3-1 odds on the dogs. Or they were on drugs

Go now Garthy-your footy apprenticeship in 3rd year, learning your role solid in your game, and injuries now gone! This is your chance to consolidate your career big fella-GO FOR IT-and lead by example and do what you 'do' WELL!! I'm sure a lot of us 'TIGER' Faithful believe that you can now become a 'dependable' 10 to 12 year Richmond key defender? Self Belief always. Go Tiges.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back