Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw a very good defender today. He looks strong, a man's body now.

Hogan had difficultly pushing him out of a few contests.

Keep him in. Our structure excels with that extra tall up back which allows Grimes, Vlastuin to free roam and intercept everything.

If we lose a tall we lose that ability to intercept as well.

We would of lost today without Garth in the side
Especially because we lost nank but because with had Garth we were still able to have Balta play ruck without losing hight down back but he also enabled us to swing broad forward and into the ruck without losing our defensive structures

Rance being out is a huge opportunity for Garth. Keep this up and we have another top notch AFL KPD. Only real problem is that next year we will have too many high quality defenders. (Short etc).

I love what Garth brings, he's such a competitor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great performance by Garth. He is a terrific kid and good footballer who will have a long career with us. His defensive work is first rate and his careful disposal whilst looking awkward is very effective (unlike Gaspar who looked awkward and butchered it). No need to rush with this kid he is ready just needs opportunity and given our injuries should get a few games this year. Well done VFL program for developing him.

Keep bringing in these young guns. We keep getting better
That'a all and good, but young guns need leadership/focusing...
End up like the early day Dees with all draft picks and no leaders...everyone trying to win the game of their own boot...

But would you knock him back if he got fit again??

Interesting situation if Garth's form continues and Rance is Ok be season's end.
Fair chance it'll be one of a few selection headaches the way this season is tracking.
I think the one under the pump despite his game on Sunday is Broad if it came down to Rance being available.

Fair chance it'll be one of a few selection headaches the way this season is tracking.
I think the one under the pump despite his game on Sunday is Broad if it came down to Rance being available.

What a problem to have - too many quality AFL backmen.

I can see them choosing to play Rance but keeping him away from KP for a few weeks. Play as that loose man and get back into the swing of it all.

As much as I love Rance I wonder if it would work bringing him right back. probably one of the few guys that could do it successfully though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back