Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

If we decide to trade Short we will get a lot of interest. Like a hell of a lot.

It's interesting to have so many quality kids coming into a team that is really good, but also not old. If we end up 2019 with really high quality kids do we look to trade out 2 or 3 more experienced players?
No doubt there will be interest in short (Swans).We sort of missed out while the irons hot with Butler & or George (can understand why we didn't), Short I think is expendable.

No doubt there will be interest in short (Swans).We sort of missed out while the irons hot with Butler & or George (can understand why we didn't), Short I think is expendable.

I'm not sure. Quality experienced players tend to win you premierships. And in may ways our team is still growing. A few older guys near the downward slide. But we have many players that are about to entre their prime (e.g. Short).

Do we play the kids and expect them to play as experienced players do? And/Or do we trade out some guys and keep the better players. Aiming to improve the squad at the same time as improving the squad.

Reckon this will be an interesting year for many of our list. Just imagine that Soldo transfers his VFL form to the AFL. Then we have to choose between a mediocre tap ruck, but great round the ground ruck, and a good tap ruck and OK round the ground. With CCJ waiting in the wings. Right now we have Stack, Garth, the young Jacks, Shai and Balta all showing genuine AFL quality. We might end up the season with our proven AFL depth increased by about 6 players. You probably can't carry that many players - they know they can play AFL and don't want to waste away in the VFL.

For this thread Garth might well establish himself as a genuine high quality AFL KPB. Rance comes back and we have too many genuinely very good KPBs. We can't play them all (unless we move Rance to Broad's role :think:). In fact right now I'd say Garth is a high quality AFL KPB, and only loses that if he loses his mojo. Many clubs would probably trade away something very valuable to get him. Meanwhile Tross and Dave are still in their primes. Interesting times for our Gracious Lord and Saviour Balme.

I'm not sure. Quality experienced players tend to win you premierships. And in may ways our team is still growing. A few older guys near the downward slide. But we have many players that are about to entre their prime (e.g. Short).

Do we play the kids and expect them to play as experienced players do? And/Or do we trade out some guys and keep the better players. Aiming to improve the squad at the same time as improving the squad.

Reckon this will be an interesting year for many of our list. Just imagine that Soldo transfers his VFL form to the AFL. Then we have to choose between a mediocre tap ruck, but great round the ground ruck, and a good tap ruck and OK round the ground. With CCJ waiting in the wings. Right now we have Stack, Garth, the young Jacks, Shai and Balta all showing genuine AFL quality. We might end up the season with our proven AFL depth increased by about 6 players. You probably can't carry that many players - they know they can play AFL and don't want to waste away in the VFL.

For this thread Garth might well establish himself as a genuine high quality AFL KPB. Rance comes back and we have too many genuinely very good KPBs. We can't play them all (unless we move Rance to Broad's role :think:). In fact right now I'd say Garth is a high quality AFL KPB, and only loses that if he loses his mojo. Many clubs would probably trade away something very valuable to get him. Meanwhile Tross and Dave are still in their primes. Interesting times for our Gracious Lord and Saviour Balme.
Garth is keeper.Maybe we can play Rance up fwd.lol

If Rance comes back anywhere near his best it may be an opportunity to get creative with him in the way Geelong tried to do with Blicavs. Maybe you could see him rotating in some sort of around the ground role with Balta. The other possibility is to look to trade Rance if Garthwaite is making the grade. Rance would have enormous value for some clubs and he may be the sort of person who would relish the challenge of fitting into a new team.

If Rance comes back anywhere near his best it may be an opportunity to get creative with him in the way Geelong tried to do with Blicavs. Maybe you could see him rotating in some sort of around the ground role with Balta. The other possibility is to look to trade Rance if Garthwaite is making the grade. Rance would have enormous value for some clubs and he may be the sort of person who would relish the challenge of fitting into a new team.

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No!. How does no sound?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods...

Harsh Don'tArgue. Just think of all that lovely cap space...and first round draft picks. I was thinking maybe we send him to the Pies for a mill a year and demand two first rounders. But that may start another crippling trade war where they deliberately send us their gun players to place our cap under pressure and syphon our draft picks in return. I guess it could only end in tears for both clubs. On second thoughts maybe we should just consider a slightly different role for Rance.

Rance back signals the end for Broad

That'd be my thought. Broad vs Rance is no contest. And it would turbocharge an area of strength for us.

But then we have a genuinely high grade AFL back playing VFL.

No matter what we seem to have too many quality players right now on our list. Oh the problems we Tigers have.

so you'd like us to play against a fully fit rance 2-3 times a year?
nup

When Rance comes back Garth and Dave will be our 2 main KPB’s. Rance will play 3rd tall or as a medium defender and we’ll be taking the piss. Imagine Rance intercepting when he doesn’t have to worry about the best or 2nd best key fwd? Lol
Stick Rance up forward, if we need him down back, he can go there if needed.

Reckon he would be pretty damaging with his read of the game.

EXCITING STUFF BIG FELLA.
Had him in my top six best players.
Was rapt for him as I was a little unnerved by his performance on finlayson where he looked like John Coleman with 5G and has had 2 ,kicks in the next month . Really backed himself which I like from a backman , played within his limits , good job. The commentators raised their eyebrows with his performance fwiw

When Rance is back and fit, he just runs the backline. I dont buy the "greatest full back ever" title, because footy is a completely different game to when Silvagni, Mick Martyn and Fletcher were doing what they had to do 2 decades ago. There really aren't classical full forwards any more.

What Rance is, is the best intercepting player I've ever seen. He reads the play as well as any player I've seen (guys like Paul Roos, Guy McKenna and even further back, Bruce Doull, spring to mind). He is a full attacking back half weapon. Having Garthwaite and Astbury able to play on the big guys leaves us with Rance, Grimes and Vlaustin to do the intercepting and creative stuff. *ing frightening for oppositions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back