Player Watch #42: Ryan Garthwaite

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be honest in thinking he may have been in line to possibly get delisted (not that I think he should). I still also rate Ryan as a genuine depth player at either end of the ground. Hope he can have a really good run at it over 21/22 and it comes together for him. I think he's still only 22? By all reports a great club/team man...

This picture is what I think of everytime I hear his name. Hopefully he's on the cusp of taking the next step to be a regular in our 22 as he will be a good one to fill Astburys spot.

133c0adc95ec5952e3f50c1ac5d51797.jpg

This picture is what I think of everytime I hear his name. Hopefully he's on the cusp of taking the next step to be a regular in our 22 as he will be a good one to fill Astburys spot.

133c0adc95ec5952e3f50c1ac5d51797.jpg
Except he's a bit shorter and lighter than Astbury isn't he? More like the third tall. More like Broad.

LIsted as 3cm shorter, Astbury deceives me with how tall he is.

Will be a good 3rd tall with Balta looking like he's cemented a spot down back
Will be good to see VFL again. Garth was already a solid defender. Miller & Nyoun have the KPD height. Nyoun was skinny armed. But great highlights of him rucking, kicking goals from 50, tackling. Richmondy

LIsted as 3cm shorter, Astbury deceives me with how tall he is.

Will be a good 3rd tall with Balta looking like he's cemented a spot down back
I wouldnt go on the RFC listings about players heights
Seen Garth standing alongside Nank & Miller and he is definitely not 192cm

Will be good to see VFL again. Garth was already a solid defender. Miller & Nyoun have the KPD height. Nyoun was skinny armed. But great highlights of him rucking, kicking goals from 50, tackling. Richmondy
Just watched a VFL G/final highlight. A Garth tackle. This guy also has a tank. Has run 15kms in an AFL game.

Just watched a VFL G/final highlight. A Garth tackle. This guy also has a tank. Has run 15kms in an AFL game.
Whenever he has played afl level he has pretty much always played 100% game time
Might benefit from the cut in interchange with his strong fitness base

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lambert said Garth might be a forward option and looks good on the track

I'm trying to think who it was on here who said it, but he would be nervous about that prediction by Lambert - something about if Garth even kicks one goal he would run down a particular street in Melbourne in mankini and other ridiculous fare! I hope some finds it and re-post it in here for us all to wince when it becomes a reality. "Don't Kick it To Garth!" and "Kick it To Garth!" will be shouted simultaneously at the ground by fans everywhere depending on whether they have to watch said run in the street!

I can understand and appreciate that Garth may not be a future All Australian FB, he's not going to go on and play 300 games or become a superstar of our club. However I've been really impressed by the effort and intent shown from Garth over the last two weeks. His work rate is absolutely enormous, I really enjoy his a no fuss approach and the fact we know what we're going to get from him at every contest. He covered more distance than any other Tiger last night and had 100% time on ground, I think that's super impressive from a younger player of his size.

He may run around with his hutch and have his unique kicking style, he certainly doesn't cover the field and move like Noah Balta or Alex Rance, I can see why it may be easy for him to be a whipping boy. For all the flashy and offensive players it's important to have these grunt like players who are there to do the dirty and tough things. It really allows Grimes, especially to intercept or lock down on the oppositions small forward (I don't think we see the best from Grimes playing exclusively as a lockdown tall).

Whilst I thought Stacky sold him into trouble with one of the handballs I certainly cannot hide the fact he had a couple of really poor turnover handballs. For a fringe player with limited experience it would've been so easy to just go and hide or drop his head, but he only got better and worked harder from there. I think that's a real credit to him and his mindset.

The idea of this post wasn't to suggest we should sign him to a new ten year deal, or that he's better/comparable to Balta or anything like that. I just feel sometimes it's to easy for supporters to point fingers at players like Garth, so I felt it was important to provide him with a little shout out for the way he's come into the lineup and has being getting it done. I'm not sure what the future holds for Garth and whether the club will give him a spot on the list next year, but i'm really hopeful he is is. With a lack of tall defensive options yet ready to go I think it's important we have someone ready to call upon that we know what we're going to get when they're out there. Our supporter base should know better than anyone, being successful isn't just about having the best twenty two. It's the entire squad that plays a huge part of success.

Onya' Gath! :thumbsupemoji:

Last edited:
I can understand and appreciate that Garth may not be a future All Australian FB, he's not going to go on and play 300 games or become a superstar of our club. However I've been really impressed by the effort and intent shown from Garth over the last two weeks. His work rate is absolutely enormous, I really enjoy his a no fuss approach and the fact we know what we're going to get from him at every contest. He covered more distance than any other Tiger last night and has 100% time on ground, I think that's super impressive from a younger player of his size.

He may run around with his hutch and have his unique kicking style, he certainly doesn't cover the field and move like Noah Balta or Alex Rance, I can see why it may be easy for him to be a whipping boy. For all the flashy and offensive players it's important to have these grunt like players who are there to do the dirty and tough things though. It really allows Grimes especially to intercept or lock down on the oppositions small forward (I don't think we see the best from Grimes playing exclusively as a lockdown tall).

Whilst I thought Stacky sold him into trouble with one of the handballs I certainly cannot hide the fact he had a couple of really poor turnover handballs. For a fringe player with limited experience it would've been so easy to just go and hide or stop working but he only got better and worked harder from there, I think that's a real credit to him and his mindset.

The idea of this post wasn't to suggest we should sign him to a new ten year deal, or that he's better/comparable to Balta or anything like that. I just feel sometimes it's to easy for supporters to point fingers at players like Garth, so I felt it was important to provide him with a little shout out for the way he's come into the lineup and has being getting it done. I'm not sure what the future holds for Garth and whether the club will give him a spot on the list next year, but i'm really hopeful he is is. With a lack of tall defensive options yet ready to go I think it's important we have someone ready to go and we know what we're going to get when they're out there. Our supporter base should know better than anyone, being successful isn't just about having the best twenty two. It's the entire squad that plays a huge part of success.

Great post Jozzy

I can understand and appreciate that Garth may not be a future All Australian FB, he's not going to go on and play 300 games or become a superstar of our club. However I've been really impressed by the effort and intent shown from Garth over the last two weeks. His work rate is absolutely enormous, I really enjoy his a no fuss approach and the fact we know what we're going to get from him at every contest. He covered more distance than any other Tiger last night and had 100% time on ground, I think that's super impressive from a younger player of his size.

He may run around with his hutch and have his unique kicking style, he certainly doesn't cover the field and move like Noah Balta or Alex Rance, I can see why it may be easy for him to be a whipping boy. For all the flashy and offensive players it's important to have these grunt like players who are there to do the dirty and tough things. It really allows Grimes, especially to intercept or lock down on the oppositions small forward (I don't think we see the best from Grimes playing exclusively as a lockdown tall).

Whilst I thought Stacky sold him into trouble with one of the handballs I certainly cannot hide the fact he had a couple of really poor turnover handballs. For a fringe player with limited experience it would've been so easy to just go and hide or drop his head, but he only got better and worked harder from there. I think that's a real credit to him and his mindset.

The idea of this post wasn't to suggest we should sign him to a new ten year deal, or that he's better/comparable to Balta or anything like that. I just feel sometimes it's to easy for supporters to point fingers at players like Garth, so I felt it was important to provide him with a little shout out for the way he's come into the lineup and has being getting it done. I'm not sure what the future holds for Garth and whether the club will give him a spot on the list next year, but i'm really hopeful he is is. With a lack of tall defensive options yet ready to go I think it's important we have someone ready to call upon that we know what we're going to get when they're out there. Our supporter base should know better than anyone, being successful isn't just about having the best twenty two. It's the entire squad that plays a huge part of success.

Doesn't cover the field like Balta or Rance? Maybe in style and grace but in distance he runs further than both. He covered more km than anyone else last night.
His big fists at certain times were fantastic and cut the oppo run. Yes, he may not float everyone's boat but if he continues to improve, I wouldn't mind keeping him. Add to that, he's just a good wholesome guy that is loved by his team mates.

Doesn't cover the field like Balta or Rance? Maybe in style and grace but in distance he runs further than both. He covered more km than anyone else last night.
His big fists at certain times were fantastic and cut the oppo run. Yes, he may not float everyone's boat but if he continues to improve, I wouldn't mind keeping him. Add to that, he's just a good wholesome guy that is loved by his team mates.
I was getting at him not covering or running the ground as sexy or graciously as Balta or Rance. Nothing about his efforts or work rates mate, I was positive and singing the praises about him and his performances.

Good post Jozzy.
Just to eloborate in the bolded part, he's most likely in the lowest pay bracket at the club so it is a little unfair for fans to be critical of someone whose basically a cheap ready made insurance policy for if one of our KPD's go down.
Unfortunately you can't have a squad full of superstars.

There were times last night that I thought he might've fallen apart when Daniher got a few in succession but he came back and made some really significant spoils in the last half.
All in all he did a pretty good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back