AFL Player #22: Sam Durham - 10 Coaches Votes!

Remove this Banner Ad

You're setting a very high bar if you think he didn't show enough in his first game.

Reality is, he'll likely be in and out of the side for the next 10 or so games. But he absolutely deserves the opportunity for a 2022 contract.

You will be hard pressed to find a player who has that fundamental understanding of what the wing role means first up and also worked just as hard back as he did forward this early in his career.

The wow factor was that there was no wow factor, played the game of a 26 year old mature role player who knows exactly where to be and what he’s meant to be doing and he’s been here 5 minutes.

Physical scope for development is also enormous, you can see it in his chest and shoulders, will fill out.

I know he obviously has been a late developer, but it’s rare you see a guy that is so young, with his skill set that hasn’t been picked up until a midseason draft. Has elite aerobic capacity, strong in the contest, strong in the air and great footskills (other than 10m out from goal 😂), almost the complete modern day player.
Makes me wonder if we are missing something obvious.

eDPS What was the knock on old mate at draft time?

Makes me wonder if we are missing something obvious.

eDPS What was the knock on old mate at draft time?

His profile from 2019 says it all. Just appears that he was raw prospect in his draft year that recruiters mightve wanted a larger sample size before drafting. Whether there was any application or work ethic issues, who knows. Likely he would've played as an over ager last year for murray but there wasnt any footy for him to show his wears. Looks like we have a gem on our hands.

You're setting a very high bar if you think he didn't show enough in his first game.

Reality is, he'll likely be in and out of the side for the next 10 or so games. But he absolutely deserves the opportunity for a 2022 contract.
Hope he stays in the side all year. Showed more in one game than the likes of Dev Smith have all year.

His profile from 2019 says it all. Just appears that he was raw prospect in his draft year that recruiters mightve wanted a larger sample size before drafting. Whether there was any application or work ethic issues, who knows. Likely he would've played as an over ager last year for murray but there wasnt any footy for him to show his wears. Looks like we have a gem on our hands.
Has a basketball background - here’s hoping BT talks endlessly about it for years to come.

Watching his possessions again - he was actually very clean and composed for his first game.
He actually had a few special moments: that mark in the forward line (poor kick aside) was downright impressive - if he can mark like that I like his future prospects on the wing. The big smother in the last was also a major highlight, it was an important moment.

The other thing that really stood out to me is this bloke knows how to find space whilst staying relevant (ie in positions he'll actually get used). I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up some sort of AFL quality player based on his efforts so far.

Also quite nice that he can play both half back and wing. I can see him playing a lot of games for us in both positions. We actually don't have many smaller defenders (its been covered by the fact that Hind and Redman have played every game from memory this year). Our next in line choice is probably Guelfi right now who I think is better mid/forward. We all know our wing is pretty weak with us often choosing between first year Cox, Ham and Cutler. Of course there are other guys that could play there if we had less injuries ie Langford but injuries are a part of footy and I don't think we have a pure winger that really commands a role right now.

So did we ever work out if he has an elite tank or not?
I noted in the match day thread he appeared to be labouring in the 3rd. Was really noticeable the drop off in his pace but was still busting his gut trying.

I noted in the match day thread he appeared to be labouring in the 3rd. Was really noticeable the drop off in his pace but was still busting his gut trying.
Equal #2 - distance covered at high speed - 2.1km
Equal #2 - Average moving speed - 8.9km/h
#1 for essendon - Average speed in attack - 8.4km/h

Not bad for a first game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equal #2 - distance covered at high speed - 2.1km
Equal #2 - Average moving speed - 8.9km/h
#1 for essendon - Average speed in attack - 8.4km/h

Not bad for a first game

#1 for speed in attack, not top 5 for speed in Defence. Sounds like a ONE WAY RUNNER to me. Delist.

Not bad, not bad...

"Highest run metrics across all zones, his high-intensity run was a stand out on the night. As that winger he really impressed me and I think you'll see a lot of him over the coming years"

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/983946/injury-news-caldwell-shiel-close-in-on-returns (video)

Really like that we are using late picks on guys with a high end aerobic capacity (Ham, Snelling, Durham, Cahill and Clarke)

Makes them much more likely to be valuable role players imo.

Really like that we are using late picks on guys with a high end aerobic capacity (Ham, Snelling, Durham, Cahill and Clarke)

Makes them much more likely to be valuable role players imo.

Puts into perspective Richmond list choices too. Rutten appears to be targetting a type.

Makes sense with the manic pressure they provided would have to have really good runners.
It's probably the biggest thing we seem to be doing this year on the back of guys like Merrett, Parish and even Stringer. We look like a fit team.

Puts into perspective Richmond list choices too. Rutten appears to be targetting a type.

Makes sense with the manic pressure they provided would have to have really good runners.
It's probably the biggest thing we seem to be doing this year on the back of guys like Merrett, Parish and even Stringer. We look like a fit team.

Mate of mine has worked in Richmond recruiting for a few years now. Won’t claim to know his job title, but close enough to know what they look for.
He said of all the tests and results they look at, the first thing Richmond look for is the “repeat sprints” test results.
(Mind you, this info is a couple years old, so who knows if this is still their priority - but certainly explains their recruiting over the past few years).

Mate of mine has worked in Richmond recruiting for a few years now. Won’t claim to know his job title, but close enough to know what they look for.
He said of all the tests and results they look at, the first thing Richmond look for is the “repeat sprints” test results.
(Mind you, this info is a couple years old, so who knows if this is still their priority - but certainly explains their recruiting over the past few years).
This is interesting to me. In his book, Paul Roos mentions the only common denominator for Swans draftees was a strong time trial result. Point being that’s two elite programs that look at running ability as the base requirement for draftees.

Until very recently it felt we just didn’t get how important the ability to cover ground is.

This is interesting to me. In his book, Paul Roos mentions the only common denominator for Swans draftees was a strong time trial result. Point being that’s two elite programs that look at running ability as the base requirement for draftees.

Until very recently it felt we just didn’t get how important the ability to cover ground is.
It’s like an entry ticket, right?

Whatever your skills, you don’t get to show them off if you can’t cover bulk kms at pace these days.

Makes sense as the first screening filter because without this... what’s the point?

Whatever your skills, you don’t get to show them off if you can’t cover bulk kms at pace these days.

Makes sense as the first screening filter because without this... what’s the point?
I mean there is always room for a super talented exception but it seems like a logical filter for the rank and file draftees.

It might filter out some of the less dedicated players too. Plenty of people are born with skills but I don't know how many people have elite endurance without a lot of hard work over a number of years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back