AFL Player #22: Sam Durham - Four more years! - 26/3

22 - durham.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 15, Zach Package

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmation on the AFL website that Duz did sign an 18 month contract taking him through to the end of next year. Another required player locked away

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
So much to work with. Give him a good preseason and full time in the system. I feel
he has a great future. Just love his work rate.
Workrate, second efforts, elite tank (LOL), pinpoint disposal, bravery.

Massive preseason - who knows what we have here!

Very exciting for us - but for Sam the last month must have been insanely amazing.

Tazdog

All Australian
Nov 8, 2015
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Absolutely love the way he goes about it. Hard at it, intent is there and seems to be really composed, great decision maker and nails every one of his kicks. Would be nice to see him get more of the footy because it seems that every one of his disposals make a big impact. Love love love love this kid. Brayden Ham should never get another game now. For the same role Sam is 55x harder at it, a better kick, gets more of the footy, can take a mark, and seems to run all day as well.

Playing well and has plenty to work with. As some have already mentioned he needs to work on sticking his tackles. Looks a good pick up.

How does a player like him slip through the cracks when he’s the type of footballer everyone is after?

Elite two way runner, can read it and grab it in the air, dual sided by hand and foot, not afraid to go when it’s his turn and most importantly, doesn’t just chase the footy around like an auskicker, is being given a defined role on a wing and sticking to it.

Richmond would be absolutely livid

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
How does a player like him slip through the cracks when he’s the type of footballer everyone is after?

Elite two way runner, can read it and grab it in the air, dual sided by hand and foot, not afraid to go when it’s his turn and most importantly, doesn’t just chase the footy around like an auskicker, is being given a defined role on a wing and sticking to it.

Yes Covid but it’s a mystery to me.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

worse still, they'll finish behind us at the end of season too.
Do like this kid. Pre season is going to be excellent for him

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Hard to stand out in the lower leagues if you don’t rack up stats. Durham is better at AFL level then VFL from what I’ve seen.

Also think he’s been on a pretty sharp upward trajectory seeing as he only started taking footy seriously later in his junior career.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hard to stand out in the lower leagues if you don’t rack up stats. Durham is better at AFL level then VFL from what I’ve seen.

Also think he’s been on a pretty sharp upward trajectory seeing as he only started taking footy seriously later in his junior career.
Epitomises what it means to be a Essendon player under Rutten. Hard runner with blue collar attitude. Love him

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Definitely agree with this.

I'm surprised by how good Durham is. He's outperformed Cox off a wing in his game to date with none of the fanfare.

Definitely agree with this.

I'm surprised by how good Durham is. He's outperformed Cox off a wing in his game to date with none of the fanfare.
He's not 200cm tall so he's allowed to do that

I think he’s eligible for the rising star nomination isn’t he? And should be eligible again next year? 🤪🤔

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Mrs brother played two seasons at the then Casey Scorpions (has played over 200 at Cranbourne football club now so the dude can play) and was instructed to simply get out of the way of the AFL listed guys.

A friends brother went and made the same list (3 years older than Mrs brother) and played three games before it finally clicked that they would openly overlook him as an option he went back and played 200+ games at Tooradin Dalmore.

Would hope it’s changed now but the fantasy was / is real that you are there as a number if on the VFL list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Mrs brother played two seasons at the then Casey Scorpions (has played over 200 at Cranbourne football club now so the dude can play) and was instructed to simply get out of the way of the AFL listed guys.

A friends brother went and made the same list (3 years older than Mrs brother) and played three games before it finally clicked that they would openly overlook him as an option he went back and played 200+ games at Tooradin Dalmore.

Would hope it’s changed now but the fantasy was / is real that you are there as a number if on the VFL list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother played for Casey for a year fairly recently and did not mention anything like that happening.

I can see how a divide would form between full time footballers and guys who are only doing it part time though.

Back