AFL Player #22: Sam Durham - 10 Coaches Votes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did any club take a big bodied mid? I'm not familiar with everyone drafted.
Glad we did not if they where not many of them. Looks like the top end of the next draft will be stronger as far as midfielders go so I do not mind selecting a skillful outside running player who can defend.

Cahill would be the more natural McGrath replacement.

But Durham may be medical emergency unless we got stupid again and put a tall as sub. We're incredibly short on small options.

Cahill would be the more natural McGrath replacement.

But Durham may be medical emergency unless we got stupid again and put a tall as sub. We're incredibly short on small options.

No way Cahill is ready for AFL mid time.

Langford looks to be next in the pecking order as far as the coaching group is concerned.

Worst case scenario neither of Smith or Snelling are ready for the Hawthorn game so we are probably then forced to play Perkins as our 4th mid.

No way Cahill is ready for AFL mid time.

Langford looks to be next in the pecking order as far as the coaching group is concerned.

Worst case scenario neither of Smith or Snelling are ready for the Hawthorn game so we are probably then forced to play Perkins as our 4th mid.
Langford was already part of our main four before McGrath went down. And Cahill has been amongst our bests in the VFL a number of weeks playing as a midfielder, in a similar role to McGrath. If we want a similar type, he's the natural one to bring in. He'd know our systems and playing style far better than Durham would.

He may or may not be ready for AFL, we'd learn that. What would be the harm in getting him some experience in a rebuilding year?

Langford was already part of our main four before McGrath went down. And Cahill has been amongst our bests in the VFL a number of weeks playing as a midfielder, in a similar role to McGrath. If we want a similar type, he's the natural one to bring in. He'd know our systems and playing style far better than Durham would.

He may or may not be ready for AFL, we'd learn that. What would be the harm in getting him some experience in a rebuilding year?

Yeah I know re Langford. I just mean he gets promoted to third mid and will play there full time now I reckon.

Happy to bring Cahill in just think he’ll get cut up as a mid so will need to play forward for now. He’s been good not great at VFL level imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People keep saying that Cahill isn't ready, but he's one of our best endurance athletes yeah? And what other choice do we have. Durham could come into back pocket and Heppell can go mid.

Ham’s a great endurance athlete as well doesn’t mean we should play him as a centre square midfielder.

Ham’s a great endurance athlete as well doesn’t mean we should play him as a centre square midfielder.
Not really an apt comparison. Cahill has been playing far more contested role in the VFL, and has been getting a lot of tackles per game. Sure, part of his game has been spreading as an option, but he's also been getting clearances.

In style, it has a lot of similarities to how McGrath has been playing.

I think most of our players are in Melbourne now

Are they? I thought a lot of them went to QLD for a break, haven't kept up.

Either way, he's not really trained with us so I imagine it's unlikely he'll debut this week.

Newcombe had been training with Hawthorne's VFL side already which plays to the same system as their AFL side.

I think most of our players are in Melbourne now
Are they? I thought a lot of them went to QLD for a break, haven't kept up.

Either way, he's not really trained with us so I imagine it's unlikely he'll debut this week.

Newcombe had been training with Hawthorne's VFL side already which plays to the same system as their AFL side.
They probably fly back today or tomorrow for a light session over the weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back