Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

He played as forward in 2019 under Brad and averaged 8 touches from 2 games. He played tonight (in wet conditions) and got 3 touches. The selection to play him as a forward was just for structure and it did not work. Xerri needs time develop. I can see the logic in the selection but is it the right path for this time? By playing Campbell what are we achieving? Surely they knew it would be wet at Metricon?

The spot Xerri/Campbell were taking is basically just a stopgap one until Larkey is fit enough. With that in mind the reality is do you persist with Xerri's underwhelming performances for another fortnight (and please god don't let Larkey's absence be more than that) or do you try someone else that has the '''potential''' to play that down the line get out option suitably. It didn't work out, agreed, but as you yourself said the logic IS there.

I'm happy for him to give Goldy a chop out but he only got two hitouts tonight from not many ruck contests. Why can't Brown give him a chop out? What does it say about our VFL team if this guy is the best and fairest winner? On a slippery Metricon, I don't know why we would have gone with 2 talls but who knows. The gameplan of kicking long bombs down the line to Campbell and Brown is not working. It will never will. What is the point of clogging a hole in Campbell and not developing Xerri? Get plenty of gametime into him to help him develop quicker.

You're asking me questions I wouldn't have known pre-game when I posted that, so I would've expected more hitouts.

Brown's a s**t ruck though, Zurhaars done better in the past despite being far shorter.

Forwards aren't going to develop considering how diabolical our forward entries are, what's to learn from? If Ben Brown can't even get going, how is anyone supposed to.

You're asking me questions I wouldn't have known pre-game when I posted that, so I would've expected more hitouts.

Brown's a sh*t ruck though, Zurhaars done better in the past despite being far shorter.

Forwards aren't going to develop considering how diabolical our forward entries are, what's to learn from? If Ben Brown can't even get going, how is anyone supposed to.

To be fair, Brown is also SEVERELY out of form. It's a real s**t position for us to be in. Without a quality second tall they're able to put more work into Brown, but even when they don't have that luxury he's being beaten more often than not. Brown's had a lot of awful entries dropped on top of his head, but he's also butchering multiple good entries per game.

To be fair, Brown is also SEVERELY out of form. It's a real sh*t position for us to be in. Without a quality second tall they're able to put more work into Brown, but even when they don't have that luxury he's being beaten more often than not. Brown's had a lot of awful entries dropped on top of his head, but he's also butchering multiple good entries per game.

Its almost the same problem as when Waite wasn't on the park, when it was him and Brown our forward line was golden. Brown needs a second tall who plays almost as his equal.

Larkey brings the same dynamic and it works wonders for us, but yet when it's Wood, Campbell or anyone else, it doesn't. Zurhaar is definitively the third man and that works just fine.

But without that second one, Brown's form falls to pieces when its just him and the third.

To be fair, Brown is also SEVERELY out of form. It's a real sh*t position for us to be in. Without a quality second tall they're able to put more work into Brown, but even when they don't have that luxury he's being beaten more often than not. Brown's had a lot of awful entries dropped on top of his head, but he's also butchering multiple good entries per game.

BBB did a lot of roving and picked up a fair few disposals on the wing. However, that meant he was kicking the ball to where he or Larkey should be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was on a hiding to nothing.

Will now pretty unfairly be labeled a list clogger by most of our supporters, when he reality he is an utterly dominant ruckman at VFL level.

Was never going to work as a forward, I meanit was tried by Shaw’s predecessor and was almost the start of the end...

The spot Xerri/Campbell were taking is basically just a stopgap one until Larkey is fit enough. With that in mind the reality is do you persist with Xerri's underwhelming performances for another fortnight (and please god don't let Larkey's absence be more than that) or do you try someone else that has the '''potential''' to play that down the line get out option suitably. It didn't work out, agreed, but as you yourself said the logic IS there.

Play Daw as the 2nd tall forward until Larkey is back.

Was on a hiding to nothing.

Will now pretty unfairly be labeled a list clogger by most of our supporters, when he reality he is an utterly dominant ruckman at VFL level.

Was never going to work as a forward, I meanit was tried by Shaw’s predecessor and was almost the start of the end...
Not his fault. He is what he is. I thought everyone knew that.
Absolutely mind boggling selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not his fault. He is what he is. I thought everyone knew that.
Absolutely mind boggling selection.

Yep, reputation assassination by the match committee.

He did absolutely nothing tonight. Wasn't a great night to be a big forward, but he was terrible, didn't present to the contest and barely touched it.
Don’t blame Tommy C, blame R Shaw. Comfortably the most bizarre team selection I’ve seen in years at NMFC. Playing against a super-speedy opponent in dewey conditions and we select Tommy C?????

The NM “brains trust” got that totally wrong. Totally.

There wouldn’t be one poster here who could’ve predicted his inclusion this week. Enough said.

NORTH Melbourne is set to pounce on discarded Western Bulldogs ruckman Tom Campbell next week in a boost to the club's ruck stocks.

As part of the new pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) introduced this year, the 27-year-old big man will be able to walk to Arden Street as soon as December 1.

While not being allowed to train with the club before the commencement of the period, AFL.com.au understands Campbell will continue his own pre-season regime before joining the Roos.

Campbell wasn't required to nominate for last week's NAB AFL National and Rookie drafts, with North Melbourne all but providing assurances of his second chance.

Following the departure of contracted ruckman Braydon Preuss during the NAB AFL Trade Period, the addition of Campbell will provide No.1 Todd Goldstein relief in 2019.

Youngster Tristan Xerri is expected to continue his development in his second VFL next season, while Majak Daw has the ability to ruck after a promising season in defence in 2018.

Having previously completed a medical screening at Essendon following his delisting from Dogs, Campbell was overlooked by the Bombers in favour of former Fremantle ruckman Zac Clarke.

In seven years at Whitten Oval, Campbell played 42 matches with his most in one single season coming in 2016 when he played nine matches but missed the Dogs' premiership.

As part of the SSP, former listed players Mav Weller (Richmond), Keegan Brooksby (West Coast), Corey Wagner (Melbourne) and Shane Mumford (GWS) will be back on AFL lists next week.

Richmond also appears set to offer WA teenager Sydney Stack an AFL opportunity after lodging paperwork for him to train with the club.

Lol, the idea of us “pouncing” on Tom gives the idea that we pulled off some kind of coup. The reality is that Tom was hanging around the sheds smoking a f** and we we happened to say “Did you bring your kit Tom?”. That said, I have the utmost respect for him.

Pay out his rookie base wage- bring in another young player
VFL player only
Campbell is.
We need Comden ready for Round 1 VFL/NEAFL Competition only as a starting forward only to start with.
Just hope Xerri can put only an extra 5kg to 7kg by the start of next season might have to reduce Goldstein role next year by resting him for some games as I dare say we will be in the 13th to 18th range on the ladder so no finals for North unfortunately.
If Xerri can play at least 10 to 15 games next year and start in the 1st Ruck in at least 7 games that would be good for his development.
Then Comden can look at a debut in 2022 but if he still carrying the back injury into most of 2021 and can’t get onto the field then Delist can’t carry players anymore.

I really liked his efforts, sure it didn't quite work out yesterday. It must be extremely difficult playing one game of AFL football every six months.

I'm sure his commitment / effort are why he's so well regarded at the club, but if you train with the squad five times a week, you should be able to hold marks and kick goals from 35m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back