Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair to him, you can't fault his effort. You can see that he's giving it absolutely everything out there.

But he's simply not good enough as a forward, and doesn't offer enough in his limited time in the ruck to persist with him.

I mean, honestly, if we're playing him instead of a quality young key forward when we're 0-3, when he's not even really a forward ... I dunno. It would just be unfathomable.

If Goldy can't ruck a whole game, and we have nobody else on field to fill in, then I'd rather drop Goldstein for a week or two than Campbell.

Throw Campbell into the ruck full-time, see how he goes. Opens up a CHF spot for Larkey.

Can't see the overall outcome being much worse than what we are getting now.

What did he have, 7 touches and 4 clangers? is that correct?
poor bloke being shoved into the CHF spot, along with Brown to work with, if thye dont mark it we are stuffed.

How can anyone, let alone an experience AFL coach and match committee, think his selection would work?

Not going to fault Tom's effort, he's giving it his all. But wtf, he's not a forward. Why are we playing a ruckman, who gives zero pressure in the forward line, as a forward just because in the couple of mins he plays in the ruck he might do ok? Literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Please, make it stop! I cant keep going to the footy watching this guy running around our forward line getting falconed. You cant question his effort but my god I have a cardboard box in my garage that puts on more defensive pressure than Campbell. Its not like he is taking big contested marks either.

He's trying so hard which makes me feel really bad for him. I think he understands his limitations and he would probably be so grateful to have been picked off the scrapheap that he's going to give it 110% every game

I like what he provides tactically and structurally. I think a player of his height and weight and size and aggression is exactly what we need as a football club. I'm just not sure why we didn't use the taller, stronger, more aggressive bloke we had on our list last year to do the exact same thing

He's trying so hard which makes me feel really bad for him. I think he understands his limitations and he would probably be so grateful to have been picked off the scrapheap that he's going to give it 110% every game

I like what he provides tactically and structurally. I think a player of his height and weight and size and aggression is exactly what we need as a football club. I'm just not sure why we didn't use the taller, stronger, more aggressive bloke we had on our list last year to do the exact same thing

I think he is trying very hard to and you cant question his effort. But that's the problem with half our team. They seem like nice guys and are trying their best but this isn't the local footy side where we are giving everyone a game and looking after our mates. He isn't going to be part of a North premiership side and I would like to see them try the young guys and give them some opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the same.

He should be our Daniel Currie, but he's going to get burnt at the stake because he's not Jarrad Waite.

We had a bloke sitting there that we could of developed in this role, but were told we couldn't play two ruckman, but for whatever reason Brad traded him the the very next match and resorts to a 2 ruck strategy. Even then, we have the Frosty Miller medalist in the 2's and are playing him in the ruck in the VFL and a VFL ruckman as the second key forward in the AFL. o_O

Genuinely lost the plot.

I think he is trying very hard to and you cant question his effort. But that's the problem with half our team. They seem like nice guys and are trying their best but this isn't the local footy side where we are giving everyone a game and looking after our mates. He isn't going to be part of a North premiership side and I would like to see them try the young guys and give them some opportunities.

I fully agree. I would rather see Larkey play CHF. I'd rather see ******* Scamper the Cat play CHF at this point

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-04-10/old-dogs-new-tricks

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but North Melbourne is doing just that with former Bulldog Tom Campbell in 2019.

A ruckman by trade, the North recruit has featured in the senior side as a forward for the past two weeks.

“It was a really great to get the opportunity to come into the team and play in the forward-line,” Campbell told North Media.

“It’s not a role I’ve played a whole lot of in recent time, so it’s been a steep learning curve.”

Since the retirement of Jarrad Waite at the end of 2018, the Roos have tested a range of forward-line dynamics.

After Mason Wood and Nick Larkey were put to the test throughout the JLT Series, Campbell has been given the chance to show what he’s capable over the past fortnight.

While the role isn’t going to see Campbell light up the stats sheet, the 27-year-old is clear how important his presence can be.

“I’m in the team to provide a big strong contest and be a target around the ground,” he said.

“The coaches are just always telling me to make sure I’m there to provide an option to help get the smaller forwards into the game.

“I know what my role is in the team, so I just try and get out there each week and make a mark on the game.”

Having spent close to all of the pre-season working with the midfield group, Campbell admits he still has plenty to learn in attack.

“It’s really different playing in the ruck compared to the forward line,” he said.

“It’s taken a little bit of time to adapt, but there’s some great leadership down there to help me out, and they’ve been really supportive of me and my role.

“It’s great playing alongside Ben Brown because he draws the best defender every week.

“That creates opportunities for me if I can get my positioning right to provide a strong contest.”

The big man also providing value support for Todd Goldstein in the ruck.

“It’s great to get the opportunity to come up into the ruck for bursts and give Todd a chop-out,” Campbell added.

“I always aim to make it a hard contest when I’m in there, and I’ll continue to do that.”

He adds more than Wood, but what perplexes me is that we have a young forward that needs an opportunity and we fill it with a back up Ruckman.

Campbell provides us with a better structure, but Larkey could also provide that structure.

Wood being useless is what has he most impact. A firing Wood and Campbell isn’t even in the discussion.

His reaction time was horrid a couple of times but he did a lot of good things and wasn't hopeless. He would look even more effective if we were structured better. I think he has a role to play.

Nothing but respect for Tom himself and in the right role he could be helpful for the team.

My respect is somewhat lower for our list management and decision to utilise Tom how we are doing.

McIntosh-Currie
Preuss-Campbell

Wonder who'll be the next ruck-forward shipped out because Goldstein can't work in with them only to be replaced by a less capable player in the same role?

Nothing but respect for Tom himself and in the right role he could be helpful for the team.

My respect is somewhat lower for our list management and decision to utilise Tom how we are doing.

McIntosh-Currie
Preuss-Campbell

Wonder who'll be the next ruck-forward shipped out because Goldstein can't work in with them only to be replaced by a less capable player in the same role?
The main problem I see is what we get in return for trading decent ruckmen (which seem to be the one thing we consistently develop well). Without researching I don’t think we got anything much for Hale, unders for McIntosh who had been AA and Tyson for Pruess seems to have not benefited the list.

The main problem I see is what we get in return for trading decent ruckmen (which seem to be the one thing we consistently develop well). Without researching I don’t think we got anything much for Hale, unders for McIntosh who had been AA and Tyson for Pruess seems to have not benefited the list.

Agree mostly. We drew an ok pick for Hale with #25 but Harper just didn’t kick on.

Typically we gave them a late pick in the deal and they pulled Puopolo out of their backside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back