Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't see him play on the weekend, but if you guys are saying he is capable then the trade with Melbourne was a good one.
I wonder why he couldn't get going for the dogs, considering they had Roughead, English and Trengove playing, not exactly the who's who of ruckmen on display there.

MRO: Campbell faces ban

Tom Campbell is facing a delayed start to the season, after being offered a one-match suspension by the Match Review Officer.

The ruckman was charged for a careless tackle on St Kilda’s Lewis Pearce at the midway point of the first quarter on Saturday.

The medical reported indicated Pearce had suffered a concussion, and the Saints’ ruckman was sidelined for the remainder of the game.

North is considering whether to challenge the ban.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-03-04/mro-campbell-faces-ban

Really? I mean I wouldn't say no to it.

But I thought Larkey did alright, he seems like the next best option after Brown.

I like Larkey but at this stage I don’t think he provides much of an aerial threat at AFL level. That’ll probably stay that way till he fills out a bit more.

Campbell because of his frame can clunk them, and he is okay with leading patterns too.

I like Larkey but at this stage I don’t think he provides much of an aerial threat at AFL level. That’ll probably stay that way till he fills out a bit more.

Campbell because of his frame can clunk them, and he is okay with leading patterns too.
I wouldn’t mind Scott trialling Watson and Campbell forward against Port as even he acknowledged that the forward mix isn’t right.

Leading patterns? They seemed to be competing with each other a lot on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Verry happy with his intent and around the ground efforts, but he was waaaaaay over his head in the ruck today against two class opponents, and along with the umpiring, it was the most telling factor in the loss.

How many marks did he take Ozzy, and how many were contested?
Wasnt that type of game really, both sides swathed their way around the park without kicking many to a contested situation in my book. Ryder easily was the better ruck but he was far from being pantsed if you get my drift. he appears to be able to play 80 % gametime as a ruck. Im not saying he is better than Goldstein but if Goldy were to go down we have one that is capable of playing his role as an understudy.

Not sure he played Round 1 anyway, but that *head Christian made that call for us with a ludicrous suspension for a tackle that happens 20 times a game.

Watch the knob jockey let May off for a late hit to Berry, just because he got up, to show how ****ed the system is.

Football acts are now suspendable and sniping is ok if the bloke doesn’t get hurt too badly.

Last edited:
Wasnt that type of game really, both sides swathed their way around the park without kicking many to a contested situation in my book. Ryder easily was the better ruck but he was far from being pantsed if you get my drift. he appears to be able to play 80 % gametime as a ruck. Im not saying he is better than Goldstein but if Goldy were to go down we have one that is capable of playing his role as an understudy.
The answer is ZERO, dont you rate marking as the most important aspect for a ruckman?

I'm just saying you carry on about how ruckmen need to take marks around the ground, then you rave on about Campbell's game with zero marks. Considering Goldy and Campbell are miles apart, im surprised how you always slam Goldy. Anyway carry on.

Not having a crack at OO, as he provides some good insight, but if anyone can come away from yesterdays match without an appreciation for what Goldy brings to the table, then they may as well give up discussing football.

I'm a fan of what Tommy brings us and I don't believe he is in any way a downgrade on Preussy, but Goldstein is in another class as a palm ruckman when compared to those blokes.

Hit a good long ball off his left peg yesterday, was quite surprised actually. Definitely good back up, and a better footballer than Preuss, imo. An improvement on what we had. Thumbs up face thingy

He definitely understands the new 50m rule, and how to turn one into 100m

I laughed so hard at that, he was deliberately looking to expose how s**t that rule is and it paid off.

It was the perfect scenario really, Higgo got done unfairly didn't intend to block (and he didn't anyway. 100m.
Campbell gets on his bike ahead of his opponent initiates contact. 100m
Ziebs doesn't try to infringe, gets touched twice by opponents. Not paid 100m. But should've, twice.

In one game 3 different outcomes happened, all of them exposing how s**t the rule is.

Hit a good long ball off his left peg yesterday, was quite surprised actually. Definitely good back up, and a better footballer than Preuss, imo. An improvement on what we had. Thumbs up face thingy

He's got a spot in our side if we were to carry two ruckmen. Can take a grab and has solid disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back