Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just saying you carry on about how ruckmen need to take marks around the ground, then you rave on about Campbell's game with zero marks. Considering Goldy and Campbell are miles apart, im surprised how you always slam Goldy. Anyway carry on.

Raving on? - got it.

I believe I started off by saying Campbell is an upgrade on Pruess.
If that's raving on , then I'm guilty.
If you want to start the season off, by references back to Goldy that's cool, but pls dont bulls_1t your way by saying I was raving on .

posting from my mobile.

Well if we carry 2 ruckmen, then one can rest forward, thus freeing up old catboy, aka Mason Wood, to have to only contend with the 3rd tall. Starting to think young Bradley is channeling Baldric, and has a cunning plan.

Raving on? - got it.

I believe I started off by saying Campbell is an upgrade on Pruess.
If that's raving on , then I'm guilty.
If you want to start the season off, by references back to Goldy that's cool, but pls dont bulls_1t your way by saying I was raving on .

posting from my mobile.
Call it whatever you want Ozzy. If you are saying that a ruckman played a good game, when he didnt take a single mark; then how can we take your comments about Goldy not taking enough marks seriously?

Well if we carry 2 ruckmen, then one can rest forward, thus freeing up old catboy, aka Mason Wood, to have to only contend with the 3rd tall. Starting to think young Bradley is channeling Baldric, and has a cunning plan.

Got to be worth thinking about a second ruck given the 6-6-6 setup. A resting player such as Goldy simply can't be left alone against a team winning clearances. Be interesting to see which way we go with Rd 1 because it will say a bit about how outside the comfort zone of years past we're willing to go.

Not having a crack at OO, as he provides some good insight, but if anyone can come away from yesterdays match without an appreciation for what Goldy brings to the table, then they may as well give up discussing football.

I'm a fan of what Tommy brings us and I don't believe he is in any way a downgrade on Preussy, but Goldstein is in another class as a palm ruckman when compared to those blokes.

Yeah. Massive difference in class across the ground and in the ruck - but Campbell has done about all you'd hope for so far. The advantage I see with Cambpell is that if he was to replace Goldstein due to an injury concern I don't think we'd have to change our structure massively around him. With Preuss I suspect we'd be more likely to win structuring around his strengths - which were very different to Goldy's.

I laughed so hard at that, he was deliberately looking to expose how s**t that rule is and it paid off.

It was the perfect scenario really, Higgo got done unfairly didn't intend to block (and he didn't anyway. 100m.
Campbell gets on his bike ahead of his opponent initiates contact. 100m
Ziebs doesn't try to infringe, gets touched twice by opponents. Not paid 100m. But should've, twice.

In one game 3 different outcomes happened, all of them exposing how s**t the rule is.

This is the embodiment of stupid AFL rule making. Not only that, every year media (and supporters) like to harp on at the coaches as if they go out of their way to destroy any attempt to achieve some mystical balance in the game. Then, every year they make these changes it takes players a handful of minutes to become aware of loopholes and inconsistencies and aggressively attacking them. That's not to say that coaches can and won't take advantage but what is naive is thinking that arrogant overpaid mid level execs that exist because the industry has to be non profit will be smarter at this than professionals who live and breathe the games in real time. It's time the AFL industry wakes up and becomes aware that they are not as smart as they think they are and the days of 40 odd dopey blokes chasing a ball around for pocket money on a weekend are long gone.

Call it whatever you want Ozzy. If you are saying that a ruckman played a good game, when he didnt take a single mark; then how can we take your comments about Goldy not taking enough marks seriously?
If your agenda on Goldstein is paramount......take it there, but read every one of my postings there and I mean every post til today and then get back to me.

Here I started by saying that Campbell was an upgrade on Press. No mention of how many marks he took around on Saturday. This leads you playing the man not the comment/post.

Auto ignore is there as an option please do us all a favour and hit ignore.

posting from my mobile.

Last edited:
If your agenda on Goldstein is paramount......take it there, but read every one of my postings there and I mean every post til today and then get back to me.

Here I started by saying that Campbell was an upgrade on Press. No mention of how many marks he took around on Saturday. This leads you playing the man not the comment/post.

Auto ignore is there as an option please do us all a favour and hit ignore.

posting from my mobile.
Ozzy, i'm still unsure to how you justify that a ruckman played a good game with zero marks, yet you call out Goldy for not taking enough marks all the time.
I thought you would be looking for Campbell to have some impact in the air before you made comments like that?

Ozzy, i'm still unsure to how you justify that a ruckman played a good game with zero marks, yet you call out Goldy for not taking enough marks all the time.
I thought you would be looking for Campbell to have some impact in the air before you made comments like that?

AGAIN, I just said he (Campbell) is an improvement on Preuss.

I didnt say he had "QUOTE- a good game", I said Patty Ryder had the better of him in the ruck but he wasnt pantsed- pls go back and read.

Again :- If you do not like my posting and that it wastes your time then the ignore button is your friend.

Finished

I didnt say he had "QUOTE- a good game", I said Patty Ryder had the better of him in the ruck but he wasnt pantsed- pls go back and read.

Again :- If you do not like my posting and that it wastes your time then the ignore button is your friend.

Finished
We will see if it's finished when the season proper starts and you start hating again.

Finished

Doing a fair bit of deflection here, Oz. We've often crossed swords on your Goldstein stance and it boils down to you ignoring the positives and focusing on the negatives. Your sig for years was bashing Goldy about not taking enough marks. Even after he was B&F and AA.

The point that you are squirming about is well made - you've made it your mission to criticise Goldy due to the deficiencies that you perceive, yet you are more than happy to laud another ruckman, despite a feature of his game being the one that you bash Goldy for.

You're just annoyed that the hypocrisy is exposed.

Goldstein >>> Preuss (at present) >>>>> Campbell.

Tom tries to play the same style as Preuss but with 6cm less height, probably 10+ kg less weight and worse timing in the ruck.

It is what it is though, he's a break glass scenario for a club that almost exclusively goes with a single ruckman.

Tom tries to play the same style as Preuss but with 6cm less height, probably 10+ kg less weight and worse timing in the ruck.

It is what it is though, he's a break glass scenario for a club that almost exclusively goes with a single ruckman.

I'd take Campbell around the ground ahead of Preuss, and that's a serious consideration when choosing a second ruckman.

1-out against a gang of Ryder, Lycett, Westhoff. Team hitouts 38-25. He was well beaten but that was almost worst-case scenario for him, apart from maybe Gawn or Grundy.

1-out against a gang of Ryder, Lycett, Westhoff. Team hitouts 38-25. He was well beaten but that was almost worst-case scenario for him, apart from maybe Gawn or Grundy.

The quality of the hit outs were miles apart though mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind Tom Campbell as back up ( if Preuss was our only other option) but some of those ill timed jumps at the centre bounce were comical

For a guy who’s been in the AFL system for 7 years, I would’ve thought he’d be a little bit better versed in the fine art of ruckwork / tapwork

What the hell did they teach him at the kennel?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree on Goldy being head and shoulders above both of them, but I am not sure your assessment of Tom vs Preuss is fair to be honest. Yes he is shorter and weighs less, but he makes up for it with some smarts that Preuss doesn't have and is a better kick. I would say, I'd be more comfortable with Tom in the ruck, should Goldy go down, than I would be with Preuss for four quarters. And if we had to play two rucks with one being a permanent forward, I'd also say Campbell is more likely to kick 3 goals in that scenario than Preuss IMHO.

Doing a fair bit of deflection here, Oz. We've often crossed swords on your Goldstein stance and it boils down to you ignoring the positives and focusing on the negatives. Your sig for years was bashing Goldy about not taking enough marks. Even after he was B&F and AA.

The point that you are squirming about is well made - you've made it your mission to criticise Goldy due to the deficiencies that you perceive, yet you are more than happy to laud another ruckman, despite a feature of his game being the one that you bash Goldy for.

You're just annoyed that the hypocrisy is exposed.
Didnt make it a mission to hate Goldy, you can go and do your home work as well then get back to me.

I don’t mind Tom Campbell as back up ( if Preuss was our only other option) but some of those ill timed jumps at the centre bounce were comical

For a guy who’s been in the AFL system for 7 years, I would’ve thought he’d be a little bit better versed in the fine art of ruckwork / tapwork

What the hell did they teach him at the kennel?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
probably nervous tend to go earlier than you should.

Didnt make it a mission to hate Goldy, you can go and do your home work as well then get back to me.
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? i think you should go and read some of your posts and come back to us.

If we need to use him in a proper match you'd hope we'd be factoring in that to our setups.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

No doubt Cunnington, Tyson, Jacobs, Anderson & LDU @ 80%+ game time would go a long way towards alleviating the issue.

Congrats to big Tommy Campbell on his North debut v Brisbane.

Looking forward to a great game and a physical presence.:thumbsu:

Campbell's rapid rise

Thomas Loftus

Mar 29, 2019 5:04PM

290319_CampbellLarge.jpg

Five months ago, Tom Campbell's AFL career was in the balance.

He'd just been delisted by the Western Bulldogs, and with most clubs already having close to full lists, it seemed potential opportunities were few and far between.

Enter North Melbourne.

“The experience of finishing up at the Dogs, and then being in the footy wilderness was really tough,” Campbell told North Media.

“But to get the call from North telling me I would get the opportunity was a dream come true.

Campbell was given a second chance by the Roos in the supplemental selection period in early December, and as they, the rest is history.

"It's felt like that dream has kept on rolling on," the 27-year-old said, ahead of his first appearance in the royal blue and white.

“To be making my debut for the club in Round 2 is just fantastic, and I can’t wait to get out there."

Campbell has been an impressive performer in pre-season, both on the training track and in practice matches, and says receiving the call-up to play for his new club is a moment he'll never forget.

“I got called into Brad’s office to have a chat, and he told me that I would be making my debut for North Melbourne," he revealed.

“The conversations that I have had with Brad were positive from the start, and he said to just put my best foot forward and he will pick the best team that he sees every week.

“That gave me a lot of confidence to put in my best performances on the park.

“It was really exciting, and I can’t wait to get out there on Sunday.”

With North’s forwards finding the going tough against Fremantle, Campbell will provide a different look alongside Ben Brown and Jack Ziebell.

“I think that being able to provide another physical target in attack will help the team, and I hope to do that," he said.

"I’ve played quite a bit of football in the forward line, so I’m comfortable there.

“For me it’s about competing in the air and bringing a big physical contest, which is something that's core to my game, and something I can’t wait to bring on the weekend."

The 200-centimetre tall will also provide support to Todd Goldstein in the ruck.

“We know that Goldy (Goldstein) is one of the elite runners in the game, but if I’m able to help him out that will let him be fresher, and we can use his elite attributes for longer in the game," Campbell added.

“It’s incredibly exciting. It was a really difficult 2018 season for me, so to get the opportunity to get back out on Marvel Stadium is really exciting.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back