Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

If we lose to Sydney, wouldn't mind resting Goldy for a week (although not while he's in this form) and rewarding big Tom.
In form? Wow. He puts his hand up more often acknowledging an error than he does in the centre bounce ruck contest.

I legitimately believe that Goldy has been fairly good the past month.
He is not a marking target around the ground and he is pulling out of ruck contests. We can't make it to the pointy end with a big man playing like that.

He's trying so hard which makes me feel really bad for him. I think he understands his limitations and he would probably be so grateful to have been picked off the scrapheap that he's going to give it 110% every game

I like what he provides tactically and structurally. I think a player of his height and weight and size and aggression is exactly what we need as a football club. I'm just not sure why we didn't use the taller, stronger, more aggressive bloke we had on our list last year to do the exact same thing

Possibly cos he wasn't good enough or (more likely imo) too unfit and injury prone.

Talked to Tom last night at half time (part of my membership package is the travelling emergency mingles with us). Fair to say, he and I didn't see the game the same way...... Anyway seemed a nice bloke and is happy with his VFL form.

More info?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talked to Tom last night at half time (part of my membership package is the travelling emergency mingles with us). Fair to say, he and I didn't see the game the same way...... Anyway seemed a nice bloke and is happy with his VFL form.
latest

I am of the opinion that if Goldstein got injured (I sincerely hope he doesn’t) that Tom would come into the Seniors and play very well. I know it’s just VFL but this guy can ruck.

His palm work could actually be better mate, and he doesn't have a great leap.

He's just a genuine goer. I hope he can find the extra 10-20% he needs to nail a full time spot in the AFL.

He's just a genuine goer. I hope he can find the extra 10-20% he needs to nail a full time spot in the AFL.

He's been unlucky that Goldy has been in great form. Having a bloke Tom's size with his aggression would make a few opposition players look over their shoulder.

Full of admiration for the consistency of effort and output he has delivered in the VFL. From what I have seen of the VFL this season I would say if the call up came he would be very solid in the seniors. He would clearly be a different player to Goldy and wouldn't bring the elite tap skills, but he wouldn't be the worst starting ruckman in the league. At 28 it is more likely that he could be a really good depth player for the next two or three years than secure a regular starting role.

In a Goldstein break glass scenario, Tom would need to pair with a genuinely athletic ruck option like Majak.

Agree with your take on this, Tom has an almighty go but there's a fair chasm to match Goldstein who is top shelf in all but one area for his size.

In a Goldstein break glass scenario, Tom would need to pair with a genuinely athletic ruck option like Majak.

Agree with your take on this, Tom has an almighty go but there's a fair chasm to match Goldstein who is top shelf in all but one area for his size.

Goldy's weakness, in that he is not the most physical ruckman going around and doesn't really hit bodies hard, will also be part of the mix that suggests he could be an elite ruckman until he is 33 or 34. A guy like Mumford not only batters opponents on a regular basis but batters himself as well. His body was shot well before he quit the first time and he looks cooked now.

North Melbourne’s ruck stocks have been bolstered with Tom Campbell inking a two year extension with the club.

Although he’s spent most of the year in the VFL, the 27-year-old is a proven AFL asset having played 44 games at the highest level.

“At the end of last year, I didn’t know if my AFL career was over or not, and North threw me a lifeline for which I’ll be forever grateful,” Campbell told True North.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Arden St and am glad to extend my stay a little longer for sure.”

Campbell made his club debut in Round 2 against the Lions, and played the following week against Hawthorn, but is still searching for his first win in the royal blue and white stripes.

Previously, he played 42 games for the Bulldogs and has an average of 9 disposals and 17 hit-outs to go along with 24 career goals.

“Working with Goldy (Todd Goldstein) has been great for me. I believe we can work together more down the track and hopefully we can both fit into the senior side and form a formidable duo in the AFL."

Interesting. VERY interesting.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2019-07-31/campbell-resigns

This bloke CAN STILL make the grade if he fine tunes his palm work.

I doubt there's a better mature all round ruckman running around in the VFL, so a very good signing.

However, I strongly suspect we will be going to the draft for a young project ruckman.

This bloke CAN STILL make the grade if he fine tunes his palm work.

I doubt there's a better mature all round ruckman running around in the VFL, so a very good signing.

However, I strongly suspect we will be going to the draft for a young project ruckman.

Can't help wonder if we've refused to match an offer for Goldstein though Tef. Shoring up the relief ruckman for 2 years would seem an odd immediate priority otherwise.

Can't help wonder if we've refused to match an offer for Goldstein though Tef. Shoring up the relief ruckman for 2 years would seem an odd immediate priority otherwise.

I suppose someone could take that view, but I personally don't give it much traction.

Todd will get a decent contract because he's earned it and is still a top level AFL ruckman, but I don't see him holding the club to any ridiculous ransom.

Tom has also earned an extension, because Majak is still a big question mark, and is really only a relief pinch hitter anyway, and Xerri is shaping more as a KPF/ruck type, so it makes sense to me to keep Tom on the books, and draft a young project at the same time. This doesn't put us in a position where we are top heavy with rucks, as Daw & Xerri play other roles.

2 x mature rucks (Goldy, Campbell)
1 x developing ruck (Draft/trade)
3 x KPP/ruck pinch hitters (Daw/Xerri/Larkey)

This is a nice balance.

I suppose someone could take that view, but I personally don't give it much traction.

Todd will get a decent contract because he's earned it and is still a top level AFL ruckman, but I don't see him holding the club to any ridiculous ransom.

Tom has also earned an extension, because Majak is still a big question mark, and is really only a relief pinch hitter anyway, and Xerri is shaping more as a KPF/ruck type, so it makes sense to me to keep Tom on the books, and draft a young project at the same time. This doesn't put us in a position where we are top heavy with rucks, as Daw & Xerri play other roles.

Fair points. Personally I would have extended Tom's contract too. Just didn't think that would be the club's thoughts ie keep a capable senior understudy on the books for 2 years only as a back-up.

That said, maybe Tom isn't asking for silly money and is happy to back his own ability to break back in to the side regardless of who's in front of him.

It's true there's no other fulltime ruckman on the list after that unless you're pinning hope on Majak's unknown long term stability to jump in the ruck for 4 quarters each week or Xerri to turn sporadic VFL potential into senior AFL ability inside 12-18 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back