Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose someone could take that view, but I personally don't give it much traction.

Todd will get a decent contract because he's earned it and is still a top level AFL ruckman, but I don't see him holding the club to any ridiculous ransom.

Tom has also earned an extension, because Majak is still a big question mark, and is really only a relief pinch hitter anyway, and Xerri is shaping more as a KPF/ruck type, so it makes sense to me to keep Tom on the books, and draft a young project at the same time. This doesn't put us in a position where we are top heavy with rucks, as Daw & Xerri play other roles.

2 x mature rucks (Goldy, Campbell)
1 x developing ruck (Draft/trade)
3 x KPP/ruck pinch hitters (Daw/Xerri/Larkey)

This is a nice balance.
WOW! sometimes you make a lot of sense. Who would have thunk it. :)

While I'm more inclined to think its just a case of admin being done - getting a back up ruckman locked away - this is interesting because it does send a message to Goldy, well his management, even if there is no offer we need to match.

WE do have some ruck stocks.

I watch footy with an ex ruckman sometimes and he reckons Ben Brown isn't as a bad a ruckman as some think. Gets specific as to why (basically his bodywork and positioning are improving and he is stronger,) and often its as Brown rucks and he wins that contest... so along with those already mentioned I don't think our ruck stocks are that poor.

I doubt we'd lowball Goldy or want to see him leave. He's a very valuable player but its an interesting move none the less. But i'd like to think the club was a bit more ruthless and switched on about off field stuff at times.

In shock that we didn’t just do rolling one year deals.

Tom is a brute and probably should play against the real physical rucks as goldy struggles to have any impact in those games.
And he should replace Goldie when we are playing a side with no Ruckman or a s**t truck one as Goldie goes to ******* water every time!

How about this bloke, came into the club with stocks low, low expectations, was just in as a backup ruckman at best to cover while Xerri develops and wasn't rated very highly as a player at any level and likely we thought he'd be moved on next year.

Now he's had a potentially award winning season performance season at the VFL, had a few games this year in seniors, and has been a helpful hand around our developing players and stood up as a leader and he's been rewarded with 2 years.

One of the best stories of the year so far I reckon, good for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke CAN STILL make the grade if he fine tunes his palm work.

I doubt there's a better mature all round ruckman running around in the VFL, so a very good signing.

However, I strongly suspect we will be going to the draft for a young project ruckman.
Jackson.

Happy for the campaigner.
Has honestly not put a foot wrong and has dominated the VFL this year.
Deserves the recognition and the two years on top doesn’t bother me.

His form is impeccable and he has yet to play a bad game

One little insight I’ve heard into how much of a top bloke he is...

Has been known to help a number guys with uni/trade/school homework around the club (Tom has a degree in business) not talking just players either...he literally offers help to anyone who he believes he can give a hand.

Very selfless and inspiring that he is willing to help anyone in just about any way possible.

One little insight I’ve heard into how much of a top bloke he is...

Has been known to help a number guys with uni/trade/school homework around the club (Tom has a degree in business) not talking just players either...he literally offers help to anyone who he believes he can give a hand.

Very selfless and inspiring that he is willing to help anyone in just about any way possible.
Plus have you seen him have praccie shots at goal at training. WOOF! Love that 60 metre boot.

While I'm more inclined to think its just a case of admin being done - getting a back up ruckman locked away - this is interesting because it does send a message to Goldy, well his management, even if there is no offer we need to match.

WE do have some ruck stocks.

I watch footy with an ex ruckman sometimes and he reckons Ben Brown isn't as a bad a ruckman as some think. Gets specific as to why (basically his bodywork and positioning are improving and he is stronger,) and often its as Brown rucks and he wins that contest... so along with those already mentioned I don't think our ruck stocks are that poor.

I doubt we'd lowball Goldy or want to see him leave. He's a very valuable player but its an interesting move none the less. But i'd like to think the club was a bit more ruthless and switched on about off field stuff at times.

Agree with your first paragraph.

Will differ on the Ben Brown bit though. I'm not a past or present ruckman at any level but the guy can't hold his ground against defenders half his size. The prospect of him routinely smashing into or jostling with a guy equally sized or larger than him is a frightful one. In the moments that he does ruck he seems pretty ineffective.

Not dismissing what you've said but there's no way I'd be letting Ben go near a ruck contest if I ran the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back